Question about a prototype waspinator

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by clankizle, Aug 4, 2011.

1. clankizle

clankizle Well-Known Member

Years ago I bought a prototype Waspinator off of Ebay. (1996-97)He has a different color variation than the one put into circulation and different colored missles. I have shown a few people this guy and been told twice that it is the toy used in an old issue of Toy Fair magazine when they did a story on Beast Wars. Any chance anyone has the issue number showing a different colored Waspinator?

2. geneticfusion

geneticfusion Well-Known Member

Could you provide us with a pic or at least what the color scheme is?

I know there's the traditional mostly green Waspinator....and then there is the more yellow version of him, named Buzzsaw.

3. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

If it's the initial release of Waspinator, it's got grey plastic for the head(s) and chest, which all subsequent re-releases eschewed in favor of the green head(s). That could make it look like a prototype.

But yeah, without pics there's little to offer in the way of help.

4. clankizle

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The last pic is to show the difference from the 10 yr anniversary version to the prototype. I have a original Wasp and fox kids wasp and none have this coloring or the wings as bright a neon blue as the prototype. Anyways if anyone collects the toy fair magazines and can help me out please let me know.

Also the chest paint is almost like a metal or chrome color. Not at all like the original 1996 Grey version.

5. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Looks like somebody just took a Waspinator and gave it Buzzsaw's wings, honestly. Although the crotch area looks slightly remolded and the yellow plastic looks a bit different than the pukey green on the original.

6. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Its the silver paint throwing me off. I know the original waspinator had dull grey plastic but that ain't it.

I have no clue what you have. It could be a version used to snap promo and box art.

7. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

The crotch isn't remolded, it's flipped around. That part should only be visible when the legs are swapped for wasp mode.

8. clankizle

I was told it was used as a promo for Toyfair. I was just hoping someone had the issue with hm in it. The pics don't show it but the wings are a bright neon blue unlike all previous wasps and buzzsaw. If you look at the wings on buzzsaw or waspinator some of them have a weird multicolor that when tilted can look blue. But these wings are clear neon blue.