Question about a possible G1 Skids variant

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Triformis, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I am currently going through my TF collection taking out things to sell and then I came to Skids. I was about to assign a price to him when I noticed something strange about him, so I went over to tfu.info to check it out:

http://www.tfu.info/1985/Autobot/Skids/vehiclemode.jpg

Now, in that picture and in every e-bay auction I've checked, as well as looking through the net via google and checking Fred's TF variant site, his front doors and hood appear to be either a slightly darker blue (tfu.info's pic) or an even darker blue than the rest of him, like the one here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Skids-Original-...oryZ4696QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

However, the paint in my version appears to be either super-dark blue or black (depending on the light). I thought at first I might have a clever KO since I got it from a collectible shop, like fifteen years ago, but the stamp on the door says "Takara 1980, 1982". Does anyone else's look almost-black/black or do my eyes/lights just suck?

2. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In the TFU pic it also looks like the hood and doors are darker than the rest tbh, but the lighting just doesn't show it as well

Maybe I'm nuts though.

3. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

I'd blame it on flash, is all. When it comes to vehicle TFs, when they have clear parts for windows and have to paint the parts that aren't supposed to be clear, they look like they match in person, but in photos look drastically different.

One of the best examples I know is Barricade. In some photos, he looked quite bad, but in person I couldn't really tell the difference.

4. Triformis

Well, that's what I thought at first too, possibly, but then I was reading an older review of Skids on, I think, bwtf.com, and it mentioned Skids being all blue, causing me further bafflement. You guys are probably right, though, it's most likely just a flash thing.

5. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

i'd say it's flash, and age. teh chemical reaction may have had an effect on the paint and clear plastic. i have a junker that the hood is that much darker than the paint, but on my re-issue, it looks more matched.

6. Triformis

Yeah, I had that thought too, man, but thought it strange that both doors and the hood would be the same color exactly and unfirom, to boot, age be damned. *shrug* In the end, I think it could be a combo. of things and I sincerely doubt I have an uber-rare variant, so onto the list it goes!