Question about 1985 robotech series

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by SideSwipe82, Aug 13, 2007.

1. SideSwipe82

SideSwipe82 Well-Known Member

hey.. i need some advises on this, i want to get the robotech series that was shown on tv in 1985 in the US. Which serie is it? I don't want to buy the NEW ones that they have or RE EDITED for the new audience. I m looking for the complete 1984/5 series. Is that the robotech Macross Saga series? or Macross Saga collecters ed. is just a small part of the entire 85 series? thanks alot.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I think this might be better suited to Games and Anime, I know we've got some Macross / Robotech fans in there who might not see it in TFGD.

The Macross Saga is the first 30 or so episodes of the show I think, the episodes that dub the material from SDF Macross. The rest of the series has two more sagas, the Robotech Masters / Southern Cross and the Invid Saga / Mospaeda.

I have no idea when they airred relative to each other, but they all date from around that time. For the full experience you'd probably want all three.

3. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Robotech was made up of three different series. Macross = Macross Saga, Southern Cross = Robotech Masters, Mospeada = New Generation

Check Robotech.com and the store there to see what's available. Then buy it cheaper from somewhere else.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

If you really must have Robotech, then the Complete Collection (3 sets, no extras) and Legacy (7 sets, extras) boxes are the 80s broadcast versions and the Remastered (7 sets, no extras) and Protoculture (1 set, extras) boxes are the remastered version.

Not that i'd recommend buying any of them now that the original Japanese shows that they mangled to make it are available. You can find those here, here and here

5. SideSwipe82

SideSwipe82 Well-Known Member

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Macross Saga, Robotech Masters and New Generation.

Southern Cross and Mospeada are the Japanese shows that Masters and New Generation were made from.

Thats a full set of the individual remastered boxes, they look genuine to me.

7. thepoetrydude

thepoetrydude Well-Known Member

yeah. I've got the protoculture collection which contains the all the eps and more remastered and lost footage tossed in. I also still have the older legacy set of macross saga and then a different set for new generation and another for the robotech masters. And if you liked those you'll probably like the new animated movie Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles which continues the story. A collectors 2 disc set of that one is due out soon. Personally, since I got the protoculture set I've been looking at selling my older sets.

8. optimusprime72

optimusprime72 Autobot Leader

Netflix has most of them. Join up, rent 'em and burn 'em.

9. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

Yeah, I got the Protoculture set, too. Bought mine from Amazon.com a while ago. Unlike SOME people here, I prefer the series in the Robotech form, rather than as individual series.

And Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles (made specifically to BE Robotech) is a good continuation if you like the story(s) and wish to see the further exploits of some of the characters.

10. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

I have all the Robotech and Invid War on VHS.

11. Toonces

Toonces Domo

Ebay:
    optimusprime72, Erm, be careful about suggesting stuff like that on a public message board. Don't wanna see ya get in trouble.

On the subject of Robotech, I think any fan owes it to themselves to actually watch at least SDF Macross in its origional form. My first experence was with Robotech as well, but after seeing the origional series in its origional form, I couldn't go back.

12. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

Are Southern Cross and Mospeada worth watching? And are they best watched as Robotech, or in original format? Because I've heard, somewhere, that Southern Cross is pretty dull and that as the Robotech Masters saga it's improved.

13. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

I enjoyed Macross, but prefer Robotech personally.

Robotmasters has the most cuts and reedits from the original show. They chopped Southern Cross up and pasted it back together to make it. Not sure if I'd consider it better or worse, but its definately a little slower and different. Personally I love the Spartan Tank and the AJACs mecha, and the Invid mechs are cool as well, but niether version of it are my favorites.

Mospeada is pretty good and like Macross its not that far from the original other then added/changed dialog to tie it into the series. I prefer the Alpha designs to the Valks from Macross and the Cyclone suits rock. Personal I prefer this chapter to either version of the Macross Saga.

14. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

I did watch the original Macross. I still prefer Robotech. I watched Macross as is and the Macross movie. I'm still a Robotech fan. Sorry, but I got bummed out of Macross when the only Macross sequel I liked was thrown out of continuity (Macross II).

15. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I have both sets on DVD and prefer the original Macross myself.

16. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

These people speak the truth.

Of course, at least in the case of Macross, those seemingly subtle changes completely changed the meaning and tone of the story, despite a mostly identical plot.

17. Hikaru IchijoSL

Hikaru IchijoSL ヤマト2202

I have seen both definitely prefer Macross

18. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Southern Cross got the short end of the stick, they really butchered that series. A 5 year old could have figured out they weren't on Earth.