Query on Diaclone toy ads: How were the Advertisements made?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by batfan007, Sep 15, 2017.

1. batfan007

batfan007 Grimstrong Shipper

News Credits:

I'm sure somebody has covered this somewhere online, but damn if I can find anything at all.

For the more hardcore tv ad loving toy fans out there:

How were the Diaclone / pre-Tf toy ads made?

The ones with Powered Convoy, aka the 86 line up of toys etc.

Visually, it looks like stop motion with the vehicles driving and flying around by themselves (in contrast to the later TF US ads where kids would be holding them to make them fly).

But common film techniques are the use of wires, slanted surfaces etc. So how were the vehicles made to move in those ads? Was it wires, stop motion, other, a mix?

I can't find anything definitive online that even talks about it.

Any info /resources / ideas / much appreciated.
    It looks like a mix of stop motion and wires to me, but I'd like to know some actual facts about how they were made.

Thanks in advance :) :cool: :D 

2. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

I've seen enough interviews about those ads and enough of the as myself to know then obviously stop motion was used

Ask for a flying around the stuff like that my guess would be wires and maybe even some green screen stuff

3. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Its entirely plausible that it was computer animation. This kind of thing had become popular by the late 60s. The Japanese had always been a mainstay of tech advancements, so it wouldnt surpise me if they did so in this instance.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Oh boy.

5. Altered Prime

I'm assuming you mean computer-assisted editing of images into animation and not computer rendered images?

6. pilot00

I dont know the specifics to be honest. Wikipedia says that the earliest computer animation was da bomb in the late 60s and the first film was made in 72. Which kind I have no idea. My post came as a deduction from this.

7. Altered Prime

I can't say I know all the specifics myself either but it's my understanding that the ability to generate those kind of images by computer with the level of believability of those commercials wasn't possible at a time and probably wasn't until the last two decades

And what I mean by level of believability is just the detail of the toys in the commercial

8. pilot00

Personally I believe that editing the film for the toy to swap positions (because more or less thats what it is) is not something unreal for its time. Then again like you neither I have any true knowledge about these kinds of programmes (despite my first decree been in computer science and having worked as a developer) and I am speculating.

9. Altered Prime

And it's pretty much how I see it stop motion with the help of computer editing