Quality over quantity in your collection?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Knightdramon, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    As I've been saving up for an MP-10, it dawned upon me that I've amassed a bit over 200 USD and STILL I need a good 60-70 USD more to pay him up.

This puts him at an *almost* 300 USD price range, including shipping, for a single TF figure. When I get him, he's officially the most expensive mass retail transformer [not including mark up, vintage rarity, botcon exclusives or any other sub lines] I'd get.

And concurrently, my preorder for Prime DLX Wave 03 hits at around 140 USD shipped [I'm in Europe, not the US] for 8 deluxe figures, some of them duplicates.

So I've got the choice of either committing to my funds for some arguably inferior figures and save up once again, or cancel my order and just wait out for a single, masterpiece, full-playhouse esque figure.

Have you ever gone through such choices in your collection, and what did you decide momentarily and in the long term? Even a 300 USD figure [and by takaratomy interviews, he's a one-off at that price] seems inconsequential to many hits over smaller figures, multiple times per year.

Plus, it adds a [relatively, objectively speaking] milestone character in a stand alone figure on your shelves instead of many smaller ones, most of which are going to be repainted/retooled down the road.

Any opinions on this? I know many collectors downsized and trimmed their collection around the time MP-05 came out, how's the situation now?

2. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

I think the figure that can only be bought online should take priority. The others can wait till retail.

3. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great question.

While I REALLLLLLYYYYY want MP-10, I've also come to the realization that much of MY TF experience is the opening of figures. I LOVE cracking into a new bubble and freeing it from the ties and transforming it that first time.

Understanding that, I think I would be better off with the multiple cheaper figures than the expensive single figure route.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    My collection is continuously growing and I've never once trimmed out my collection with the exception of a couple of terrible figures I don't enjoy (PCC) or duplicates. I enjoy having a ton of figures in my collection room, it's just my style to try out nearly every Transformers toy line and I often keep everything I buy. Even with my 700+ figures, figures like MP-10 stand out to me as prizes. I know which of my toys are the best ones.

5. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    Definitely quantity over quantity in my collection, and then a bit more quantity squeezed into a gap in the corner.

6. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MP-10 > Prime Wave 3.

Why settle for 2 okay deluxes and 6 crappy ones over one of the greatest Optimus Prime toys ever?

I say if you really like G1 Optimus Prime, keep saving your money and settle for nothing less.

7. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

I would say that, for me, it ends up being quantity, but that's more because I'm a fan of instant gratification, and often have enough money on-hand that I can wait around for a really good deal on an otherwise expensive item. I'd rather get a new TF or two every paycheck (provided there's one I want) than spirit away some money over a period of time to try and get a larger, more expensive piece that I've kind of got my eye on.

That said, I never feel that I buy a 'low-quality' TF, mostly because I only buy the TFs I like/want, so they have the right quality for me.

8. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Definitely quality over quantity. I've learned that if it isn't worth looking at all the dome to you, then save for something that is.

9. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

Definitely quality over quantity.

I went through 3 G1 Roadbusters before I was satisfied.

10. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

Haha, I was just thinking about my gap in the corner; G1 Scorponok and Trypticon, Amazon Unicron, Primus, TRU MP Hot Rod, Leader Ironhide, Leader Sentinel, Alt Ricochet, Alt Hound; beautiful pieces all, but I have nowhere to display them properly, currently. Still have a crapload in storage like my MPs/BTs/Alts. Curse you plaster walls that I can't put up decent shelving!

11. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Quality, and I'm in the same situation as you: MP-10, or a variety of other stuff from BBTS. What defines it for me is though...I want an MP collection, they are just more impressive. If I don't get MP-10 now and try to stay caught up, it will be a super-expensive trip later on when more are released. How can I have an MP sideswipe without an MP prime?

12. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I've gone in both directions. I only buy what I really like and afford in most cases. In some other cases I have bought cheap KO's in order to have a particular mold or character in my collection, otherwise the original would be far too expensive.

13. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

First allow me to say IMO I wouldn't cancel my order; as any time I've passed up on a purchase, I always regret it later. Mostly because whatever I didn't buy can't be found, or the price increases to where I can't afford to buy it. ( The GI Joe Vamp MK II and rebel snowspeeder are two items that come to mind).

So, wait it out, get your toys. You'll be glad you did, I think.

In my collection, it's more a sentimental issue, however I do prefer to have quality figures over quantity. For instance, last May I purchased a Takara -Tomy Voyager Optimus with Trailer.

It was the most expensive purchase that I've made to date, but I really wanted one, I had the extra cash, so I went for it, and I am extremely happy that I did. It has a prominent place on my shelf!

Had I not bought it, I would have been unable to afford one, as I paid over one hundred dollars less than what they were going for at the time.

IMO if you have the money, and see something that you want, get it! Add to the joys of your collection, pick up the rare stuff when you can.

14. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

MP-10 a one off? Considering who it is, this mold will likely get milked for every last penny it's worth and then some. But that's not the topic.

Can the preorder for Prime wave 3 and get MP-10. Always prioritize the stuff that won't be easily found at retail over stuff that should be found at retail shortly. At least, that's how I see it.

15. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

I think it kinda depends on how you want to define quality. I'm sure there are a ton of people out there who really love one character and make it their goal in life to own every single version they can get their hands on. Since that adds value to their collection.

Now if you want to talk about monetary worth, I like to think I have a pretty decent collection overall, but there are definitely figures in my collection that I really enjoy that probably won't ever be worth the amount of a discontinued limited edition third party figure. I guess it's one of those things you struggle with as your disposable income grows higher and higher but your display/storage area stays the same :lol  :eek: 

16. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I meant in the sense that besides any repaints it'll get, it's the big ticket item of the line. It was about 10.000 yen more than the other MP items, which have an almost consistent price of 15-16.000 yen.

Quality it is, so far. Hopefully, hopefully, this sort of expense in the MP line won't occur for another two years...

17. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    I've totally changed my collecting habits over tha last couple years from being a completist to a quality over quantity approach. I just had waaay too many pieces that I literally picked up and after fiddling with for a few minutes they went into a box never to be seen again. Now if it's not a piece I want to immediately put in the glass cases I tend to pass. I spent less than $50 on ROTF figures that way :) 

18. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Im more into quality, but I've got the quantity.

I need to start selling off stuff. Might just take all the stuff I don't mess with and sell it as a lot sometime

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Depands which ones are talking about.

20. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

Quality is far more important. I'd like to get my money's worth on a figure I know will be EPIC, such as MP10..which I still don't have, but plan on getting eventually.