Introductory: QPcards - Quick Camera Calibration

Discussion in 'Tutorials and How Tos' started by Night Flame, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

This is a little trick I picked up from a professional photographer that works for a certain magazine that has lots of photography in it. When using weird lighting, like I intend to do a lot of with my "contained light" series color balance is key. Note, I did not say white balance, as that's where it starts, but not where it ends.

Go from this:

[​IMG]

. . . . to this with a click of a button:

[​IMG]

The secret?

[​IMG]

Take one "calibration" shot, open it up in the batch processor, show it where the card is, calibrate, and then batch process the entire shoot. While this picture could have been done with simple white balance, the pictures I plan on taking with red, blue, purple, white and yellow light all within the picture will need some serious work. This will help a lot.

QPCard is where to find out more. I got the cheap version to start with just to see if it works. Thus far I'd say it does:

[​IMG]

(The following are some notes I added after I researched QPcards. ~Superquad7)

QPcard™ 201

The QPcard™ 201 is a color chart for calibrating and profiling digital cameras.

Description:

The QPcard™ 201 consists of 30 squares of ink applied to a paper substrate in 3 rows of 10 patches. There are 27 unique colors, with the four corner patches consisting of the same gray color. There is a 7 step grayscale. As shown, patches are numbered by rows starting with the upper-left patch. The grayscale occupies patches 4 through 10, inclusive.

The QPcard™ 201 is 140 mm x 41 mm (5.5 x 1.625 in.). A millimeter ruler is printed along one edge. There is an adhesive strip on the back on the side with the ruler, covered with a removable plastic film.

[​IMG]

Notes:

The ink appears to be silk screen printed onto the substrate.

The paper substrate contains a fluorescent brightener but it does not appear to effect the patches.

The paper substrate is not opaque, making the choice of the backing very important since it can be expected to influence the patches.

(Source: Robin Myers Imaging: QPcard™ 201)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.