Q: What might I also enjoy?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by planetjacker, Apr 15, 2007.

1. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am edging my way back into comics. I am currently picking up Buffy S8 and the TF movie prequal. I picked up Johnny The Homicidal Maniac trade because I am a fan of Invader Zim. I liked it and am looking for suggestions based on this info as to what is out there that I may also like.

Thanks for your time.

2. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

If you're into Buffy Season 8, I'd suggest Runaways. Whedon just started writing the most recent arc starting at #25. Still on shelves should be an oversized one-shot that recaps the story up to then.

3. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Whedon has killed a part of my soul with his work on Astonishing X-Men. I shudder to think what he's going to do with my precious Runaways. :( 

4. Dream

Dream SEND THE BOOKS!

Since you hunted down JTHM, I suggest you pick up Squee, and I Feel Sick.
    Lenore is another good one.
    They are all from the same company which produced JTHM, Squee and I Feel Sick are written by Jhonen as well, and both are spin offs of JTHM.
    Lenore is about a cute little dead girl, and has the same sort of humor that JTHM has.
    There is a new ongoing series starting from DDP called Hack/Slash, there are a few one shots and mini series of this title, with Hack/Slash vs. Chucky recently coming out.
    For Transformers, I like to pick up Transformers Generations, as it reprints certain stories from the original Marvel series, it's pretty cool.
    Hope this helps.

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Oh, I don't know; he made the total invalidation of Colossus's ultimate sacrifice vaguely bearable. Kudos to him for that.

6. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

same here...hit and (bunch of) miss stories...plus bringing back someone from the dead who should of stayed dead...and the current arc is kinda boring.

...Runaways was awesome...i have a bad feeling it'll be the same (hits and lots of misses)..but the first issue looks to be a good start.

7. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Yea, but Clearmont did the same thing with Psylocke. So you really can't slap one without slapping the other.

8. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Psylocke's death wasn't pointless though; the character is. Colossus was always a great X-Man, Psylocke has a nice ass and prolly does anal. That's it.

Plus, Marvel asked Wedon to bring Colly back, no one asked for Mrs. Tight ass.

Oh yeah, and I'd recommend Runaways as well, loved the first run myself, I did, that's for true.

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Not really. The entire point of Psylocke's death in the first place was to bring her back. It was a quick method of getting rid of all the Crimson Dawn stuff, but Claremont got screwed over by the "dead means dead" policy coming into effect right after he killed Betsy. So when he finally did get to bring her back, it didn't invalidate anything; it just meant he got to finish the story. Besides, if you want to slap Claremont, there are far better excuses (like his over-reliance on old storylines from his glory days or the fact that he can't go more than a few months without writing a story that involves mind control and/or slavery).

Now, as to the actual topic: I mostly read superhero stuff, planetjacker, so I don't know anything really similar to what you're already reading (although if you like vampires, the Anita Blake series sounds like it might be a good fit. I don't read it, so I can't say for sure). If you are open to superheroes, though, I wholeheartedly recommend Justice Society of America. It's one of the best comics out there right now.

10. Wreckgar

Now I'll never get that out of my head.

11. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am already looking for Squee and I Feel Sick, my shop expects Squee to be in soon. I will give the others a try.

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Except Psylocke didn't actually die; she went through the Siege Perilous (which gave those who went through it another chance at a different life). To be honest, I preferred the original Betsy Braddock Psylocke; you know, the one who didn't have bionic eyes, wasn't a ninja, and didn't feel the need to witter on about "the focused totality of her psychic powers" every issue. ;) 

13. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    We're talking about her more recent death in (ugh) X-Treme X-Men and eventual revival in Uncanny. Like I said, that was just Claremont's way of removing a lot of baggage she picked up in the 90s.

14. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Don't forget to track down Fillerbunny, too. That, and Everything Can Be Beaten are both by Jhonen Vasquez, and are quite funny. The Bad Art Collection by him is certainly great for quotes, but I wouldn't call it "good", because it is by definition "bad".

15. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Well, if you are enjoying the Buffy comic you might want to try some trades of the Angel comic put out by IDW. And I like Astonishing X-Men, even if it is extremely slow coming out.

16. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    go find invincible, from image comics...its written by robert kirkman, and is amazing....hell, anything by kirkman is amazing....look for battle pope too....

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    They killed her again? Damn. I'm SO glad I gave up on X-Men comics after Fatal Attractions.

18. Wreckgar

Battle Pope is complete hilarity that'll reserve you a seat in hell.

The Pope trying to fulfill Mary had me rolling.

19. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah, im gonna be so bummed once the next issue its out, cuz then its done til kirkman has more time to do more (which is the case with like 3 other characters hes created) but battle pope would be the best, in my opinion....

20. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

I just picked up the Hack/Slash trade from Devil's Due and the Mostly Dead trade from Marvel. I liked Hack/Slash better, but both had good stories. Both stories are in the same genre and basically the same tone as Buffy.