Q-bert cartoon

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gaastra, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone remember this?

and

I used to watch this every saturday morning!

Why did they stop making video game cartoons anyway?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Q*bert was my favorite video game character as a kid. I watched the cartoon religiously when I was 7, but as an adult it's pretty terrible. I can't even sit through an episode for the nostalgia like I can with Transformers.

Video games were a cultural phenomenon in the 80's that they've never really recaptured since. Even though the industry is bigger and generates billions more in revenue than it did 20 years ago, games don't really sink into the cultural consciousness like they did back then. Also, most video game cartoons were rush jobs with poor animation and writing to capitalize on the popularity of games whose stories didn't exactly lend themselves to a narrative format (Pole Position, I'm looking at you). My recollection is that none of them lasted very long, a few months to a year maybe, just long enough to further promote a popular game. They didn't really stand on their own, and I suspect as video games faded from the aforementioned cultural consciousness and the average age of gamers slowly increased (those of us in the 25-34 age bracket have more or less been the largest bracket of gamers for our entire lives) the industry aged with us, and companies didn't feel the need for them anymore.

There are exceptions (Pokemon being probably the most notable) in recent years, where a game becomes part of an overall media strategy, but for the most part that time has passed, and I'm kind of glad. I pity my parents for having to sit through Kangaroo, Frogger, Pac-Man and all the rest (including Q*bert) back in the day.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008