Q&A with Michael Bay on Yahoo!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by VaterKrieg, Jun 6, 2007.

1. VaterKrieg

VaterKrieg Super Awesome Professor

Ebay:
  2. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks for posting that :) 

Unfortunately it was REALLY nothing special as I didn't learn anything new like I hoped I would've :redface2: 

Although I know some of his comments will draw heat. One interesting thing though, I recall how in the other thread either Tyrese/Josh drew some board heat for calling Blackout Vortex. Well if there were using the a.k.a. names. That would explain why, because as far as he knew the name was Vortex

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Bay said eons ago (it might've been Don) that noone knew the real names of the TFs so that they'd be secret. Nothing to learn from this interview, but it was still fun.. liked him talkin about "Bay wrecked my childhood" hehehe

Thanks, FP'd!

4. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    "I think they call him Frenzy in the movie."

LOL

I guess they probably don't call him by name (the humans, at least) in the movie, so its ok, but it's still funny.

5. VaterKrieg

VaterKrieg Super Awesome Professor

Ebay:
    Well the one bit that I got out of it was that it was just what Bay wanted.

I didn't like the flames on Prime initially, as I thought they were a bit superflous, which goes counter the character's leader nature. But hey, he is just copying what he saw on the road.

6. Shaun_C

Yeah REDLINE, I'm 90% certain it was Bay and 10% it was Murphy. And yes him talking about the tired "Bay wrecked my childhood" comments was funny. If I had a buck for every time I read a post like that........I could've bought a Loose set for BotCon '07 :D 

Meh...it's just flames...He could've been all white and called Magnus ;) 

7. GMANIFESS

GMANIFESS G1 Manifestations

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Interesting.
    Atleast he faced up and took responsibility for the flames on Optimus.

I sensed a bit of guilt from him on final overall design choices, but understand his justification. 'Raping childhood'...??... G1 designs look dated??? perhaps.
    But atleast they don't look naked. These movie designs look like what G1 bots do with most of their parts exposed. Massive exposures for attack, especially in the limbs & joint areas.

My only greviance with this film is that 'real' has to look so damn ugly & scattered.
    But I'm not mad a Bay, he had to do what he felt was best. I guess the box office will determine if he made the right choice.

8. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:
    How can a director say "I think they call him frenzy in the movie"...doesn't he know what they call him...sheeeezee...he is the director for gods sake...

9. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I liked it. Bay didn't come across as an ass or as someone just out to make some money by directing a movie, he actually wanted to do a good job, go figure.

Anyway, I thought it was a good interview that didn't give away too much, but wasn't a waste of time.

10. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Wrecked my childhood? It's raped! Damn you Michael Bay, first you rape my childhood then you rape our metaphor for the pain you caused.

No I'm not serious. Anyway, not a bad little interview. Plus a nice definitive answer to the flames on Prime (which I don't mind), Bay just wanted them. :p 

11. Masterpiece Devastator

Masterpiece Devastator Well-Known Member

What a moron. I mean he "thinks" that character is called Frenzy. That tells me that, 1, he's a moron, and 2, These robots dont mean a whole lot to him. Im impressed he knew optimus and Bumblebee. Flames, because he wanted them. Idiot. Its not as simple as a orange house or a green house. the choice to have them on that character reflects what type of character he is. EVERYTHING matters when designing a character and those flames work for a Hot Rod type of character , one that is flashy. NOT the stead fast , level headed leader of the Autobots. AHHHHGGGGG!

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    not any real reason to bring up year-old arguments again.

me too :( 

13. Masterpiece Devastator

Masterpiece Devastator Well-Known Member

I suppose the thing that gets me about him, and pleast correct me if Im wrong, he doesent seem to care, and has never cared about the source material. Example. He claims he listened to what people online were saying, and made changes to early leaked designs. I have thos designs on my computer and they look pretty much the way they look today. I would also like to point out that there seems to be a overwhelming desire to lose the lips on optimus. I can sort of understand that major changes to characters wasn't going to happen late in production, but they were at a point where they could have put up the visor and they didnt. That just screams disrespect for the source material and to fans desires. He listened to himself and only himself.

14. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

he never fails to amaze me with his double talk.

15. Pabawan

Pabawan Member

What a moron. I mean he "thinks" that character is called Frenzy. T

Oh, come on. This is a sit-down interview. This isn't live. I've done dozens of them. I'll tell you exactly how this went.

EPK Director: Okay, let's move on to Frenzy.

Bay: Yeah. What should we say about him?

EPK Director: Mention about how his name changed.

Bay: Yeah, yeah. Okay I can do that.

ph

16. SlayerDarkCross

SlayerDarkCross -----------> ? TFW2005 Supporter

If it was only the fans he was making the movie for the profits would be cut in half.

Michael Bay made this movie for a new generation as the technology has changed in 20 years. You have to ask your self how much would the original movie had changed if it was made today. You would have to license cars which Hasbro on their own cannot seem to do and thats why a Bumble Bee Volts Beetle never came into existence in Alternators. If the animators of the original movie could had make realistic transformations and the vanilla transformers as you know it would much different.

Also it is not Michael Bay's job to remember the names of the movie Transformers. Thats up to the people doing the voices and the animations. Yes he made the movie but with a community like us there is constant changes. If the interview was mass distributed I am pretty sure he would have got the facts straight.

People need to stop complaining and realize this movie is already completed.

17. Pabawan

Pabawan Member

I hope he takes responsibility for not having all humans wear hardhats. That was risky.

ph

18. Shaun_C

I think it's less anyone needs to correct you. And more YOU need to prove he doesn't care

I wouldn't say overwhelming, it's split between "It's fine since Prime having lips isn't new" to "Ugh take 'em away" to "Either way it's not a deal breaker to me"

Plus the whole "source material" rhetoric is really beating a dead horse. It's less him not respecting the source material to it being that the source material wasn't respected in the way(s) you wanted. Because this is Hasbro's line and it follows the source material JUST fine. Sure the robot aesthetic's different, but Transformers is more then just the robots' looks

19. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Well Shaun pretty much beat me to it, but when you make a statement like that, the burden of proof is on you. If you can justify saying Bay sleepwalked through a 150 million dollar film production completely indifferent to it then you're suggesting he has neither integrity or professionalism. Lofty claims....

That wasn't really an 'interview' as such. It was very heavily edited and done to be a quickly absorbed promotional piece, yet I'm sure some folk will jump on every single word and analyze it for 'ammunition'.

I was really glad to hear the word ERGONOMICS used at last!!! The "aesthetic" buzz-word is thrown around over and over (sometimes by people who don't know what it means), with no consideration given to the fact that as well as looks, the robots had to look like they could work and, as Bay put it, "act".

20. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

QFT - both you guys.

I find it sad, though expected, that there are still so many haters this late in the game. I'd imagine that even if they love the movie, they'll refuse to admit it here. I feel nothing but pity for them because of that.