Q&A with James Roberts - TFCon DC 2017

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lucas35, Oct 1, 2017.

1. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The main problem with relationships are this I have some of it seems mandatory and trite follow a formula. I don't mind it when say it is part of the character and we see the relationship grow. Nautica and Skids the problem is the later misinterpret what the former sees in that relationship. Skids would love nothing more than romantic relationship but Nautica felt differently. I don't think it really ever occurred to Nautica about having a romance. (Personally I find Nautica believing that friendship is magic the less charming aspoects of her personality).

2. Pwsyn

Pwsyn Well-Known Member

Even more, so far as I can remember. But (sorry to say that) most of them, like Lightbright/Sparkstalker or Tigatron/Airazor are not really "important" or interesting. They´re more or less unmemorable side characters (my personal opinion). Swift / Barricade however were interesting characters with an interesting / moving story. And that either of them would die, sooner or later, was somehow almost expectable.

3. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    I remember that interview. He wasn't shaming hetro relationships. Just pointing out that pairing Nautica(the ONLY female Mtmte character at the time) with any of the male cast would be a bad idea because female TFs had an unfortunate tendency to be shoved into the girlfriend role. Which he is absolutely right about.

There is nothing wrong with female characters being in hetro relationships, but when that's all they're there for it becomes a problem. IDW is introducing more ladies so you can have lots of varied characters and relationships.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Pwsyn

Pwsyn Well-Known Member

Hm, interesting. For me, things looked a little different...When Skids was still alive, I always was uncertain whether they felt more than just friendship for each other...And then, when Nautica tried to bring him back again, at all costs (literally), I had, for the first time, the feeling that he was much more important/precious to her...

I agree with you on here. Nobody needs these clichés. But thats not what I meant.

Nautica was hardly introduced, and he already knew that he would probably never pair her with any of the male cast ?! Because it was a bad idea, a stereotype that he wanted to prevent ?!

Nobody demands that somebody (male or female) get paired up with anybody else. And surely nobody wants and needs any kitschy, clichéd and uninspired characters / relationships / stories...Things/relationships develop, or not. But Roberts has excluded any relationships between Nautica and one of the male casts right from the beginning (god, not that I want that she gets into a relationship with one of them, even when it sounds like it, god forbid lol). Why ? As a good writer, he certainly is aware of the fact, that there are well-written and badly written relationships (as well as character, stories), and that it all depends on what one make out of it. I'm sorry, but I cannot help thinking that he simply has no interest in straight (comic) relationships.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  5. snavej

snavej Zone 6 dweller, off-peak traveller

News Credits:
    Why don't we see an interspecies relationship? Human X loves Toastertron, Human Y loves Hooverbot, etc. Should be fun! ;-) 'Where do I put my....maybe here.....ARGH!'

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Wrecker

Sixshot was friends with daniel. Does that count

7. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Are we counting Crankcase and his direwraith crush?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

We talked quite a bit about that one in a thread that... I think ended up locked. The best explanation for several "filler" stories in a row--Swearth & Personality Ticks being the two that annoy everyone--is that James said that he planned for a "huge" story in the middle of Season 2 & had DotL pushed back by Combiner Wars, so that instead of issue #50 being the final Dying of the Light, it was the beginning. So there's two or three (depending on how you see the DJD solo issue) filler stories in a row.

A crappy explanation, I know, but I maintain that the problems with Season 2 can be explained at least partially by an author having to dip into a stack of "filler" stories several times in a row.

We've read about male-coded robots for 30 years, an entire planet of male-coded robots, who have dealt with the issue of female robots only by saying that in G1 cartoon they died out, in IDW originally Arcee was a fluke & a freak, or in IDW post-Windblade that non-warring, billions-of-years-gone colonists were the only ones who coded themselves female, and now we've got writers trying to deal with that mess.

It might annoy people, but it's utterly logical for Cybertron--and for that matter, Caminus, the planet of drama kids--to be homonormative. They don't need to reproduce heterosexually, and they're utterly segregated by their gender identities. They have zero sexual attraction.

So you put a bunch of asexual-but-romantic long-lived dudes on one planet, and equally asexual-but-romantic women on another planet, remove any impulse to bear children, and are surprised that they find "significant others" of the same gender?

If I want to read about characters with any kind of sex drive at all, I'll read a Marvel comic. But all this stuff comes with the territory for TFs.

I ship Nautica & Skids as hard as anyone else here. But if they had a nomance, they still loved & appreciated each other as friends. There will be hetero relationships in Transformers, no doubt--I mean, we've got four main female cast members in LL, and as many or more in the other books (I don't real TAAO or OP as close as I read LL)--but the issue of a "homonormative" society is what you get when a writer tries to maintain a decent story in the face of 30-year-old, franchise-shaping dicta about boys' & girls' toys.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Powerglide/Astoria Ritz-Carlton, Alexis/Starscream, Seaspray/that mermaid chick.

...it is mostly human girls falling for robot dudes though, now that I think about it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pwsyn

Pwsyn Well-Known Member

lol Sounds like fun. I´m in.

11. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Did anyone ask James Roberts anything about the comic while meeting him at his table? I asked him something, and he told me the answer I wanted to hear and I don't know if he was just indulging me...

12. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Wrecker

someone should have asked him how long he thought LL was going to be

13. Bumblemus Prime

More like "so when do we go back to the original numbering & MTMTE title?"

Issue #75 of the American Marvel comic was On The Edge of Extinction!! If we count the Revolution tie-in as issue #58, I predict LL #17 will be MTMTE #75. Unless it's not, in which case I don't predict.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus TFW2005 Supporter

Exactly.

See above. I think JRo has stated, he didn't want to introduce female characters and pair them up right away with a male partner because that would run the risk of turning the few female characters into just romantic props for male characters. (or something like that.) There aren't that many female characters to begin with. And there aren't that many prominent gay relationships as it is. Chromedome and Rewind got a ton of attention but it wasn't like the books were flooded with romantic pairings, so the one romantic pairing was gay-- it kinda make sense.

You guys act like JRo has some sort of relationship with Tumblr. Tumblr is not one individual. Any relationship between JRo and Tumblr is one-sided anyway. JRo writes and Tumblr reacts. Getting upset that fans show their reactions through Tumblr is like getting upset that someone voiced their opinion on the internet and you ran into it.

• Like Like x 4
  15. cashel

cashel Well-Known Member

if they retconned what seemed like an important subplot concerning arcee and her hate for jhiaxus- shouldn't the writers explain the mistake and make the mythos more continuity friendly? don't just fix but use it as an excuse to be creative as to the existense of tf's that are labeled "SHE". barber is great with that stuff.

16. The Smirker

The Smirker Drifting is my game.

Also, him, alex milne and nick roche met together on an early transformers websites forums and I think we're friends till now. I also let him play with carnifex. He had the face of a kid playing with him. He said it was incredible.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pwsyn

Pwsyn Well-Known Member

As for the story with Arcee, I´m torn...On one hand, I personally found the idea not even bad. I think it was interesting. On the other hand, I think it was a pity that they used Arcee for it. An already existing and very well-known character. In my opinion it would have been better if they had used a completely new character for such an impressive / far-reaching story. I think, changes or further developments to already existing characters are ok, if they not overdo it. Because then we do have a completely new character. But oh well, the story happend and I think the writers made the best of it/have done well (if I now only could get this weird cover with (female) Arcee and Galvatron out of my head *shudder*).

What can I say ?! Perhaps better nothing.

I only wonder sometimes, if people have really read my comments before they answer me resp. if my shitty English is really so crappy that they have problems to understand it ?! Ok, probably the latter...

And regarding Roberts and tumblr resp. twitter etc., my experiences and assessments (I can hear, read and see) are different for that matter. But it´s ok, I will not say any more on this subject. And in the future I will keep my criticism against him in the fence.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Bumblemus Prime

cough, Tauriel, cough

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mirimus

Mirimus Well-Known Member

The female 'love interest' trope has existed forever, and I applaud the restraint displayed (and given by Hasbro) to not jump right to that as soon as multiple female TF's started showing up in IDW.

On the subject of Chromedome and Rewind, I thought they would be unique in that there were precious few others who actually had romantic feelings towards each other; as I recall, Brainstorm had mentioned that most TF's go their entire lives without finding a Conjunx Endura. I guess that means that most still try, or at the very least carry on with the whole 'unrequited love' trope. Speaking of, given what was said in that Spotlight: Orion Pax story, it very much sounded to me like Megatron had/has a thing for Pax:

Bludgeon: "He's busy—but I'll tell him you dropped by. He... talks about you sometimes. When he's tired."
    Pax: "What does he say?"
    Bludgeon: "Best not ask. It would make both of us feel uncomfortable."

• Like Like x 3
  20. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus TFW2005 Supporter

Holy cow! I never caught that subtle piece of dialogue! Thanks for pointing it out.