Q&A with James Roberts - TFCon DC 2017

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lucas35, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I found this on tumblr:

• Like Like x 5
  2. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I love everything i read about Deathsaurus.
    Looking forward to seeing more of him and Roberts's plans for him.

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Can anyone ever ask him what his obsession with giving characters multiple names is?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Is it weird that I'm really glad Nuatica and Skids weren't a romantic thing? I still thing they would've made a cute couple, but I think it's really important to show close, non-romantic relationships between men and women as a normal thing.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Wrecker

I liked the relationship. I dont mind two guy robots liking each other but skids and nautica were unique and to me their relationship seemed kinda romantic

• Like Like x 2
  6. Pwsyn

Pwsyn Well-Known Member

Skids and Nautica only friends ?! Why am I not surprised ? Oh, now I remember…Since this story is written by Roberts, I didn’t expect anything else. Still, I´m disapointed (and somehow sad).

~JRo explained that Cybertron is pretty much a homonormative (I believe that’s the word he used) society~

That explains why tumblr celebrates Roberts like their hero, now more then ever. lol

Tsk, first they wanted to make us believe that Transformers are sexless, that they are neither female nor male...and then they are...no, actually the whole planet, a homonormative society ?! Why ? Is it, because it´s the new "trend" ? Because its cool and progressive ? Is it that really ? Or is there more behind it ("pimp up" the sales numbers, for example) ?!

At least the story about Deathsaurus sounds interesting.

7. TheSuperion

TheSuperion Well-Known Member

Lol. If James Roberts was writing solely to please Tumblr, he wouldn't have gotten the question about why the gay robots' lives can't be all sunshine and flowers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wheeljack_Prime

News Credits:
    Then explain the existence of issue 41-43 of mtmte

9. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The ones with Thunderclash's wake and the holo-planet? What does that have to do with Tumblr? To me that's standard Star Trek adventure of week sci-fi romp.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Transformers are sexless, but they do have the construct of gender. Sex and gender aren't the same thing. And logically planet almost entirely populated by male-identifying inhabitants would have mostly homoromantic relationships (romantic relationships between people who identify as the same gender.) Thus it would be a homonormative society.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Wrecker

Jhiaxus brought different genders into cybertornian life right? Thats why arcee hunted him down. He experimented on her/him/it... i dont even know anymore.

12. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Same here. He's one character that truly benefited from having a reimagined personality and I'm itching to see him clash with Star Saber sometime in the future.

I get what you mean. It does feel like Roberts is playing favorites when it comes to what relationships and shippings he's into it. Even when Chromedome was without Rewind for a while after the Overlord event at least he was able to reunite in some way whereas what happened to Nautica was that she just lost feelings for Skids. I don't think that was ever Robert's intentions to purposely leave out hetrosexual relationships because well the series hasn't ended yet so who knows what'll happen and I doubt he's the type of guy who wants to stick it to hetrosexual relationships but still I do see how that does come across as such.

13. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Energon Enthusiast

The Overlord sized Tailgate vs. 100 Tailgate sized Overlords question was mine. Popped into my head a few months ago and I just had to get an answer from the man himself.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    No, that was thankfully retconned. They always had gender, but at some point all the female robots just... went away? A few members of the Primal Vanguard later relearned what gender was through interactions with alien species, with some deciding to change their bodies to match their gender identities.

(And just an fyi, if you must use a different pronoun to refer to Arcee both pre and post transition, "them" would probably be the better gender neutral term than "it".)

• Like Like x 3
  15. Wheeljack_Prime

News Credits:
    They were an excuse to showcase more femmebots and holomatter avatars. Tumblr eats that shit up.

16. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    Aye this seems about right for a TFW where these topics are brought up.

• Like Like x 4
  17. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:

In other words if you have problems with Cybertron society being homonornative then don't bother looking at Themyscira in DC Wonder Woman.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Nice.

19. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Wrecker

I meant it as a robotic life-form, not as a transgender. I mean no offence in any way.

20. Pwsyn

Pwsyn Well-Known Member

Well, yes, I know these are two different things, but I seem to recall that they (IDW ?) actually did try to convince the fans/make us believe that TF are gender- and sexless...till they decided otherwise (four or five years ago ?). But thats not the only thing what has perplexed me back then (and yeah, even angered me)...
    I remember an interview in which Roberts said that relation ships à la Conjunx Enduras are very seldom in the Tf society. That hardly any Tf has one resp. ever had one. But then, after he spoke about it, within one year, all over sudden, we had/have plenty of (same gender) Conjunx Enduras resp. "will they or won't they" relationsships (or at least hints of it) in his book. But till today never one single male/female couple. Not even when the Camiens arrived.

I admit, I am not a really big fan of love stories, but now and then a really well-written and interesting romance, well integrated into the story...and maybe this time, for a change, a male/female couple (just one, pleaaase ?!), I would be not averse to it.

Damnit, everything I want, is that both, gay AND hetero relationships, are treated equally.

But never mind. We've been over and over that theme a hundred times. It only leads to endless (and often) nasty discussions.

*sigh* I wish I could believe it. But to be honest, I doubt that Roberts will ever write about a hetero relations ship.

I remember another interview, in which Roberts said that he probably never put Nautica into a relationship with a (male) Tf. Unfortunately I do not know the exact word choice anymore, but I mean to remember that he felt, that this kind of relationship (hetero) is hackneyed and simply too clichéd (which personally disappointed and annoyed me, since hetero relationships can be also interesting, tragic, amusing, etc...if well written). As I said, I'm not sure about the word choice. Someone should correct me if I´m wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2017
  21. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Well, we do have a few hetero relationships. Lightbright/Sparkstalker, Swift/Barricade, Tigatron/Airazor.

• Like Like x 1