Q&A: Character Designer Augusto Barranco

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by MaxxieOD, Jan 17, 2012.

1. MaxxieOD

MaxxieOD Jazz is my homebot

News Credits:
    Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    Huh, that was interesting. Here's hoping we see some of his concept art soon!

3. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

If the goal is to create unique silhouettes while staying true to the roots of a given character, then I say mission accomplished across the board. No two characters are evocative of one another and each seems utterly unique. This helps add to the illusion that these are robotic organisms who are literally reinventing themselves as they imprint on a new vehicle, further adding/subtracting from themselvers as needed. In other words, a big SUV or even tractor trailer should look utterly different from a motorcycle (in both vehicle and bot modes), and again, this works perfectly in show.

Next season I would like to see this design aesthetic pushed even further to incorporate wildly ranging scale differentials. Move away from roughly same size vehicles and incorporate trains, satellites, jumbo jets, or even an ocean liner if the script calls for it. After all, they can be literally anything of a mechanical nature, so scale (and not just silhouettes) differential is important.

4. AlexaStar

AlexaStar Starscream is love

Starscream does not have high heels..........

5. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Great interview!:thumb  It must REALLY be fun to be a desginer for shows like this! I'd really go for doing stuff like that!:D 

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Don't bother. As long as it's "funny" they'll keep saying it.

7. Thilda

Thilda Treat your mother right!

News Credits:
    How dare them insult the hooker combat boots!

8. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well...he kinda does and he's not the only one. But remember, the person asking the question said that, not AB.

If you look at the back/heel of Soundwave and even Megs to a point, they have a "higher heel" within their ankle/foot designs than some of the other bots.
    Poor Starscream's heels just don't have the same coverage as the others and seems more like a heeled shoe.

Thanks Maxxie for posting this one here, I was looking for it early this a.m. on the HUB and it wasn't there yet...you're quicker than the HUB. :thumb 

9. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Actually it's not a heel, rather it's four "toes" that point down. On in front, one in back, one on either side. Like his WFC foot.

10. MaxxieOD

News Credits:
    Hah, I grab 'em from the Transformers group on Facebook since they always post first it seems.

11. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :D 
    I know, but I absolutely hate Facebook and deleted my account, so thankfully you still can get this info for those of us who walked away. :thumb 

12. MaxxieOD

News Credits:
    Haha! Yep...FB had been around for a few years before I joined, and at this point, it's mostly for fun than anything else. Since I just about left dA, FB is my place to post anymore, heh.

13. Retrospex

Retrospex Plastiholics Anonymous

Hmmm... interesting. Are you feelin' this guy? Sometimes I'm not even sure some of these designers like the Transformers.

14. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    What gave you that idea?

15. Retrospex

Retrospex Plastiholics Anonymous

I checked his art... a 3D background in specializing in weapons and such. Seems that the TF job was handed to him, and he branched out. Looking at his art, I don't think there's a connection with the line. When I read this interview, it seemed to me that this is just another job for him as long as it lasts and isn't as enthusiastic as other artists and designers who have been interviewed in the past.

Or perhaps it's just me, it was late, and I was tired and grumpy. :D 

16. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    I think it's safe to say a number of Prime's staff aren't big Transformers fans, or Transformers fans at all.

That's not necessarily a bad thing or a good thing, it just is.

17. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Meh, looks like the devil most definitely is in the details.

What ever, Hasbro if you're listening just give us some Direct to Video movies with a mature setting (Last Stand of the Wreckers perhaps) that doesn't stray from the source marterials original artwork PLEASE! DC and Marvel have already proven that there's a market for it so what's the hold up? You'd likely sell more Classics/Generations figures if you did provided you place a quality script for it in the right hands!

Between Bayformers and Shrekfromers you'd think Starscreem's orignial design and persona were horrible. Yet the Classic Starscream's mold has probably sold more than Classic Prime and Bumblebee combined.

Point is some people like the original Starscream just as much if not more than the TF: Prime design so please give us another animated project where it isn't necessary to fix things that arent broken...

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

A really nice read since it gives some ideas on why they went certain ways with the designs. Always nice to know there was some logic to all of it instead of just I drew it that way because I wanted to.

19. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Oh for the love of Mike......

It's one thing to dislike the later styles of Transformers because it's your opionon and that's fine,saying that's it's the devil's work made by so called fans as you put it is entirelty another.

We get it you hate the Prime asthetic and you want a derect to DVD thing for the Classic/G1 look that's fine but dude if you despise it so much then what he hey are you doing here? You don't have to be in the Prime forum you know.:redface2: 

As for Starscream I'm sorry but the Prime Starscream is much more developed and dangerous not to mention a WHOLE LOT smarter then the G1 version. He's easly one oft he best version of the character to date! Again if you dont' like it that's fine but please enough with the whole "Hasbro never listen to us old school fan!!" crusade already!!!!

Not all of us are into the G1/Classics ashetic and prefer something different for some brands and it's not a crime!

For all we know Hasbro MAY make a derect to DVD thing for you so you can be happy! But for crying out loud stop ranting about how the other styles are hoorndus whne they are really just different styles for people to choose from! No one's forcing you to like Prime or any other universe that isn't G1 so knock the pitable neglecated G1 fan off! Hasbro IS indeed listening to the original fans and it's a slap in the face to them and the Desginers who grew up in the original gneration like you did ifyou just insult what they are doing for BOTH age group! Prime is one of the most mature TF shows out there alongside the WFC games!

Sprry if I'm being harsh here I didn't mean to come across as being that way. It's just please we get it you hate it and we're not against it just don't go on about it in that manner that's all!

20. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Reading this interview, I personally didn't get that impression at all.