Customs: Pyro/Spark Parts Casting

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Rover, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Rover

Rover Member

Let me attempt to explain the confusing title:
    For those who don't know, Pyro is a European exclusive from the last year of G1 who was released in G2 again as Spark. He also suffers from GPS very badly as do many of the European exclusives from this time period. I happen to have a MISB example headed my way and was hoping to make a cast of the offending parts such as his- waist, lower arms, water cannon/rifle, and toes. I don't care if I can't get them to match in color but I just want solid parts in the (very very likely) event the originals break. I figure if that misfortune befalls me I can just paint all of my cast parts gold and swap them for the originals. Would doing such a thing be feasable? I have a basic idea of what to do but any and all advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

2. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

You know...

I'd be happy to hear if anyone actually does those, 'cos I could use those too just in case ^^;

Even if my Pyro didn't break up, its like havin' a zombie survival kit; Better have it and not need it than needing it and not havin' it.

3. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I have two Pyros. One my brother snapped in half when he tried to 'fold' it the wrong way. I wouldn't mind getting a replacement segment for that second one, even if I already have the replacement.

I don't know how strong the toughest resins on the market are, but I would hope that some of them are at least stronger than that gold plastic. But I don't think you'd be wasting time looking into it. Wish I could offer some advice (used some two-part resins here and there, but most are pretty soft).

4. Rover

Rover Member

Thanks for the responses guys! Pun, did your Pyro snap at the waist? From what I hear this is the most common place for him to break. If anyone reads this thread and can offer some advice on what resins or plastics I could cast the spare parts in that would still be paintable I'd be really grateful.