PVC figurines, what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

I just got these in today, don't really know anything about them. Turns out they're stamped takara '00 and '01.
    Were they widely available in north america? Where do they rank on the common <-> rareness scale? Were they released as a 15 year commemorative or something?
    Too bad no soundwave, but those are extras of ultra mag, screamer, and hot rod in the bags in the back, and interesting megatron has lazerbeak on his arm.

[​IMG]

2. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    If I recall correctly, those are chase versions of figures from the Japanese equivalent of the US Heroes of Cybertron PVC line (widely available at Walgreens :p ). Some of them (the US versions) were rereleased at Hot Topic a couple months back. They come in something like booster packs, and each series had metal colored chase figures, etc.
    DN

3. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They may be "Chase" but I prefer the full color versions. I even like the clear versions better.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the pewter figures are the less desirable ones from what I know (and experienced) yeah, they were rarer, but not many people were too happy to get one instead of a correctly colored one.

5. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

They're not technically rarer. The boxes of 12 PVCs came packed 6 color, 6 clear; the clear later gave way to pewter. There were other repaints that were chase, some of which turned up later in the Heroes of Cybertron line (Dirge, Skywarp...). They are less desirable, b/c nobody really wants the clear/pewter filler over the color ones.

6. Paradigm-Shift Prime

thanks for the responses. So what was the retail $ on these guys when they came out?

Yeah I checked out the colored ones, they are nicer, but I still really like these ones and clear sounds cool too. These cost me $10 US for all of them so the guy who sold them couldn't have wanted them that much...

7. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

What the.....? Is that Siren in the front row? He's such an obscure character, it's bizarre they made a figure of him like this.

Unless I'm an idiot and that's someone else.

8. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Clear/pewter figures sell for very little, $1-3 each. Color versions are more around $5 each. There were two chase figures in each Japanese wave, all of which are both rare and expensive, with the exception of ones that got a regular release in HoC (like Dirge). That doesn't include the BAFs like Fort and Grand Max, Metroplex, Scorponok, and Black Zarak.

The chase figures will run anywhere from $20 up to $50, and I've seen one hit around $100 once but that was kind of flukish.

This site is an excellent resource on the Japanese sets. It lists each wave with color and other versions of each figure (pics included) as well as chases.

I've got a handful of pewter figures for sale if you're interested. :) 

Go-shooter (aka Siren) was a fairly major character in Masterforce, so it's not really strange to see him in a Japanese line.

9. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Now that's a clear and concise answer! Thanks.

10. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Well, they did go through 8 Waves of 6 figures each in Japan (48 different ones total + the multi-piece figures), so by the end they were doing guys like Perceptor, Star Convoy, and Alpha Trion...

11. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Ah, that makes sense! I didn't realize there were so many.

12. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Bah, PVCs. Totally not worth it if you ask me.

13. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

it's funny, I bought complete boxes of the first 8 acts of the japanese line. so I've got all the colors, all of the pewter/clear ones, and virtually all of the chases, just because it was cheaper that way.

14. noob

noob Well-Known Member

i have a couple of them and they're pretty cool to display together.
    i almost jumped on that auction myself, but it would have given me even more doubles.