PVC figures from the early 2000s...sought after?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Smokescreen38, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Does anyone collect these things? I loved them at the time...very faithful representations of the classic cartoon models.

Do any of you guys go for these? Which is your favorite?

I'll always have a soft spot in my stone cold heart for the movie guys- Rodimus holding up the Matrix, Galvatron and Cyclonus are my favs of the bunch.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Attached Files:

2. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I always enjoyed them, I lol'd when Skywarp was released domestically though. I remember people being in a frenzy about getting the Japanese one since it was a chase figure.

3. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I only have Raiden from SCF Collection, got him years after the release but the price was quite reasonable (a bit over Japanese retail). I also have some HoCs but can't even recall who I have. I'm more into SD style PVC figures myself :)  I like to see people's collection of those though, I guess having only one or two is probably missing the point of the series.

4. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    I got in on wave 2 and collected waves 2 - 10. I tried to get wave 1, but the price had skyrocketed and by the time they were released as part of the HOC line in the US, I lost all interest in them.

I use to have them on display in a custom display rack, now they're in storage some where.

5. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had a few from the Heroes of Cybertron release stateside and a clear Minerva, but eventually sold them all since they took up alot of my TF budget. They were pretty cool, but the Mega SCFs were even better! Poseable figures before Revoltechs hit the market. I'm just now selling off Victory Saber, and really wish I could keep it. :( 

6. Domino

Domino Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have almost all of the Heroes of Cybertron, and a smaller collection of the SCF line.

My cousin and I split a case of SCF figs once. We each took 6 from the case, and the very first one I opened was the rare chase Ghost of Starscream. Sadly, with baby #2 here it's time to thin out some of the collection. I think SCF and HoC may end up on the chopping block.

Still, good memories of hitting various CVS, Walgreens, etc hunting down the newest HoC figures...

7. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    I sold all my cases a couple years ago and was surprised to get fairly decent money for them, I expected to take a big loss. However... they were all bought on ebay auctions by Chinese bidders, so shipping was a pain and may be there's not much demand domestically.

8. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love these guys. I've got nearly all the G1 figures, save a few of the chases. My favorite-
    [​IMG]

I used to have a shot of my shelf with full line displayed but I can't find it. I just have some individual shots (some of which may have ended up in the board's resource section).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I bought the 12-pc boxes of the first 8 acts of this, so I've got the regular color and the variant of all of those guys. I keep them displayed with my mini-con collection (I have one of each minicon mold) and various other tiny tfs:

[​IMG]

10. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Ive got a Cyclonus MISB and a steel colored Dirge I think

11. mmhand

mmhand Well-Known Member

I have all of the SCF waves except for the Armada ones. I also have a really nice custom Goldbug pvc. These are actually some of my favorite transformers items as I was able to represent a good portion of G1 in such a small amount of space. Plus, the molds are pretty good representations of the characters' cartoon models. The values have definitely gone down as people eventually lost interest in non-transforming figures. However, along with the Metalforce Optimus Prime PVC figure, these little guys were quite sought after for awhile.

12. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I had someone tell me that Skywarp was never released in the US. I'm pretty sure I shut him up when I sent him a pic of Skywarp, on a US card.

13. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

I got in late with the HoC line. I picked up the full Fortress Maximus series, and managed to pick up some of the earlier ones.

I'm thinking of selling them though, or trading for the Optimus and Starscream HoC figures I don't have.

14. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think the only US figure I missed getting was Wheeljack. The only Japanese figure I have is a gray Metalhawk.

15. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Funny story: I remember being in the dealer room at Botcon 2002 on the last day of the con. I and this other guy were at a booth where they had tons of the Japanese PVCs, sealed. We asked somebody at the booth, obviously NOT the owner, if we could open the boxes to see if the figures inside were ones we needed. He said sure. And we commenced to sitting on the floor and tearing open box after box of PVCs. After I don't know how long, the booth owner noticed what we were doing and about had a heart attack. By that time we'd opened dozens of boxes and I bought a large amount of PVCs from that guy.

Heroes of Cybertron Wave 4 was never released in my area, or if it was, I never saw it. Wave 5 was scarce, but I did get it, and of course full sets of the overordered Waves 1-3. I still have night terrors about seeing the Paradron Medic on pegs. I've still got them all, MOSC, and I also have been considering selling them. They're taking up an entire storage bin.

16. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The good old days of the PVC figs. I bought probably 10 Thundercrackers my freshman year in college and repainted them into skywarp, complete with con symbols. I think I must've made about $100 a pop on customs on eBay at that time (insane for those PVC things) and it pretty well paid all my rent money for 4 months :lol 

I miss doing those, they were the easiest thing I'd ever painted. I hadn't even tried since then until I got the Radicon bug a few weeks ago, never painted a toy until then anyways.

17. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Cool... nice to see some love for those cool figures.
    They definitely filled a void for me...as Armada and Energon seemed to be pulling TF away from the G1 roots in some ways, these figures were just mind blowing to see in the store.

I remember hitting Walgreens after Walgreens looking for Ironhide in May of 2003...I finally found it...and promptly moved on to the next figure. :p 

Fun stuff.

18. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Dude, where did you get those posters?!!? I want them!

19. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Loved the stuff as well. Its too bad I only got a couple of the SCF figures, but I completed the G1 Mega SCFs though, really some of the best representions of the characters made.

20. meirelle

meirelle Sea of Shelfwarmers

I just have HOC Skywarp. I plan on getting Starscream and Thundercracker, too, but they're selling for like $15 on eBay, and I'm not willing to pay that kind of money for a little PVC figure at the moment.

I kind of want to collect them all, but I don't allow myself to buy non-transformable TF merchandise that isn't seeker-related, because then I would buy them all. So it's kind of a way of regulating myself so I don't spend all my money. The few exceptions to this rule are G1 Robot Heroes and Revoltech figures, because RH were readily available and inexpensive when I started collecting a few years ago, and there are only a few Revoltechs.