Puzzles anyone?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by rattrap007, Jun 29, 2012.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Anyone else work on puzzles? I did a a toy hunt out of town on Sunday and stopped by the Books A million there and found an interesting little puzzle. It was a bunch of 3d "crystal" puzzles. Basically it is a 3d clear plastic puzzle. They usually have about 37-52 pieces. I picked up the Skull and put it together when I got home. It was difficult at first, but once you start to get the basics, it becomes easy as can be. When put together it is about the size of a tennis ball. Nice looking piece too. There are a bunch of different ones to buy. The different designs include: Apple (red or green, Diamond/Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald (different colors make different gems), Pyramid, Heart (red or pink), Teddy Bear, Grapes, glass slipper, Rose (red or pink), Treasure Chest, Earth, Saturn, Sun, Star, moon, and clover.

Well I ordered a few more (and cheaper) over the net. Ordered the Pyramidm Diamond, Red apple, and Treasure Chest. Put together the Pyramid and Apple today. Pyramid is decent. They are more chinese knock offs so they are tighter and come on model part trees, but they work just the same. The pyramid was ok, nothing special. The apple looks great. comes with a little light you can put in it. if you shake it, then it activates blinking lights. Meh. Apple looks awesome though.

Should get the treasure chest one in the mail tomorrow. Will put it together then and save Diamond for Sunday. Next I'll order a Heart, Star, and maybe a planet.

The BAM one was $12. The treasure chest I got for about $10 with shipping, and the other three were about $9-10 including shipping.

They are fun little puzzles that make nice little display pieces together. Also they have a nice way of holding together. The skull has a pole that you stick in the top and it slides down and you screw it into a hole in the bottom. Tightens it up nicely. Stick on the top piece of the skull and done. The apple uses a similar method although it goes from side to side.

Anyone else find any neat puzzles like these?

The 3d crystal puzzles on this site are the ones I'm talking about. The ones I got at the ones that are about $11

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  2. rattrap007

News Credits:
    I went out hunting for more the other day while running errands. Two Walmarts had some. None that I needed or wanted. Thought I might do some quick reviews of the ones I got since they are all assembled.

Pyramid - Least impressive of the sets. Fun to assemble, but meh as a display piece. Top does not secure on. Probably the easiest of the different sets. Good for a kid to try. Overall I give it a C/C+. Also smallest of the sets.

Gemstone - Is called Diamond/Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald. All are the same exact piece just different colors. It was easy to assemble and looks better than the pyramid as a display piece. It has a two halves assembly process. Build both sides then stick together and the pieces lock. Overall I give it a B-/B. Also makes a nice toy jewel for kids to treasure hunt. Also a little small too.

Treasure Chest - This one is fun to put together. It feels bigger than the others due to the box shape. It is a decent display piece, but details are lost unless viewed close up. Still a good piece so I give it a B+.

Crystal Skull - My first one. I found it the most challenging, but I think it was due to trying to wrap my brain around one for the first time. The build was fun and challenging. The end result looks nice on display. Overall I give it an A-/A.

Apple - I chose red. Building was fairly easy and a blast. The finished model is about the size of a real apple. Finished product looks fantastic. Great display piece. I give this an A+.

If you are going to pick any up or are bored, I suggest the Apple or the Skull. Both are fun to build and look good displayed on a shelf. WM had them for about $11.

3. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Anyone else ever try these? I found a new bunch. They have a few bigger sets I may try some time but they also got some new licensed ones of Disney like Pluto, Bambi, Snoopy, etc. I found and bought one of Buzz Lightyear. This one was a challenge and threw me for a bit. I was out of practice on these things. But was still fun. It is a nice size once done. Overall a good set.