Customs: Putting a Project on the Shelf to Move On . . .

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Superquad7, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sometimes, when one hits a snag, a little bit of perseverance and hard work of just continuing to plug at a custom will result with a piece completed and done well. However, sometimes it's best to know when to stop on a project, put it aside, and just move on for a short time to come back to the project refreshed.

I just thought I'd initiate a discussion to see what you snags you guys have hit, why it frustrated the slag out of you, what you moved on to, and your plans for a return (or if it's past tense, how you returned to the project to finish it).

Discuss! :) 

2. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Project Overload
    http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-customs/repaints-and-minor-mods-4/project-overload-wip-165028/
    Nothing went right with this one from the start.
    Mod, Paint & Detail problems. Countless times stripping down the hood & roof.
    All around pain in my ass bash.
    I finally put him down & set him aside after I was ready to throw him against wall. He's been sitting for about 4 to 5 months, 3/4's complete.
    I'll finish him one day, but for now I still want to throw the bastard against a wall every time I look at him.

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I have been working on a scratchbuild for well over a year from time to time. I keep putting on the shelf because I'm not happy with the quality of the work, so I stop.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Check out my Titanium Ultra Magnus and Cybertron Menasor projects. I almost hit a wall lastnight with Overdrive, but I pulled through.

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Happens all the time. Sometimes I get bored with working on a single project, sometimes an idea hits me for a new project that I just have to start now.

Sometimes, particularly if I'm designing something from scratch, be it an actual scratchbuild (I have several on the drawing board) or just a mechanism I need to work (It was ages before I finally worked out how to trigger Cyb Soundwave's and Sideways' gimmicks without keys).

My Classics Magnus is a good example; I'm working on a scratchbuilt set of transforming armour for him (yeah, I know Fansproject have made one now, but they hadn't when I started, and to be honest, it's still not quite what I'd want). I have designs for it, I have mock-up parts made from cardboard. And just as I think I've got the design all worked out, I realise something won't work and I'm stuck again. I have every intention of finishing the thing eventually, though.

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I hit a couple of snags when I was working on my Menasor project, as well as even Omega Supreme. OS I was able to plow to the finish line, but Menasor I had to walk away from twice. That project took so much out of me that I went on a 5 month hiatus from 'bashing.

7. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I hit a bit of a snag a while back with my Classics Thrust kitbash. Basicaly I soaked the wing assemblies too long, and a very important part of them crumbled to tiny bits when I was scrubbing them. I'm gong to get an Acid Storm for his wings and tail fin/wing assemblies. Not sure what I'll do with the rest of him. When I hit the snag, I finished up some other parts on him and Dirge, and then moved on to my Prima bash. I've recently finished that project, and it shouldn't be too long till I get back to work on Dirge, and start work on my Megatron bash.

8. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Whenever I hit a bump in the road, I do one or both of these 2 things:

1. Dig through my bash box (that huge box of heads, legs, styrene, trailers and accumulated stuff that comes with bashing), Sometimes a random part can bring my project back on track.

2. Look at another source of art. I either dig through our Radicons gallery, or watch some Anime. Bankai!!!

After that, things usually pull through. If not, I watch Law & Order re-runs. What could be more inspirational than Jack McCoy. :lol 

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    QFT; this is some solid wisdom, guys. autobotx23, I'm about to suggest something that you must quote:

2.5 Watch/read anything from The Ghost in the Shell series. I particularly am very fond of The Stand Alone Complex, but anything will do, I think. I find myself constantly wishing that the Transformers would have gotten this level of treatment. My wishful thoughts for this often really inspire my artwork, but 2-dimensionally and 3-dimensionally.

I'll most certainly support what ax23 says about the gallery. This is one reason why the Radicons Staff has worked hard to have a very robust customs gallery. While we desire to have a comprehensive house of the history of customs, we also want to be the source of artist fuel and inspiration.

As for myself, one project I placed on the shelf (and it's still there) is the redeco of my US police force. Essentially, labels take a while for me to make, and I've found myself either working on the actual painting or working on the online things. Also, I've never been 100% happy with any kind of labels (aside from Reprolabels, but I really can't foot the extra bill as much as I'd love to). I'll get back to it, but I'm working on other things too. :) 

I'll also just piddle around with lots of different things without having to make blown out projects of em. Typically, once I really commit to sitting down with a project, I bust it out until I'm finished. :) 

10. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

as of yet i have not been stuck on concept. rather it is more of an execution problems i run into like waiting for parts, needing paint, or designing an attachment for a part.

i have a project that has been sidelined for months because my hobby shop has not restocked testors clear blue and tamiya is not a match.

also i have projects that do not get finished just for lack of interest. fortunately those are displayable unfinished.

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Mine is my dinobot combiner for sure. He's been "on hold" for almost a year now. I want him to be my shining moment.

12. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    ^ How's your BB reshell going?

I've hit snags with some reshells, in the design phase. I know what I want, but not sure how to get them from paper to design. I have an idea for a great Alt Ironhide but I haven't figured out literally how to do a twist, literally just one twist, without some major reengineering. Which I am being lazy about taking a shot at.

I'm on a snag doing some action figure customs, I always took for granted that enamels would just work on anything, but it really doesn't. Not to start THAT argument up at all, but it's frustrating now to be out of my element and have to look for alternative techniques. I keep having to retool, and it's frustrating. A custom that shouldn't take me more than a few days worth of letting paint cure, and I've been working on and off on one for over 2 months now. GRRRR.

I definitely have a new added respect for guys who do action figures, it's a whole other beast.

13. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    oh yeah, never use enamels on action figures...at least not without proper prepping.

14. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got stuck on Silverbolt for the longest time since I didn't have any soldering gear and didn't see a need for it. I simply couldn't get him apart without one. But eventually I had to get one to dismantle Hun-Grrr, and then I could finish Silverbolt as well.