Put your money where your damn mouth is... your top 20 movies.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by McBradders, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    That wasn't a Kubrick film.

2. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Some of these movies make me feel young... :p 

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    1. Groundhog Day - This is just one fantastic movie about self-improvement (with jokes) that I think is a must see for everybody.

2. Ghostbusters - It's just flat-out hilarious. Bill Murray, Dan Ackroyd, and Harold Ramis have some excellent comic chemistry.

3. Spiderman 2 - I think this is the best comic-book adaptation movie. It's very engrossing, and Alfred Molina as Doc Ock was just too perfect to ignore.

4. Dr Strangelove - Hooray for dark comedy with social commentary! Hooray for a triple-cast Peter Sellers!

5. Forrest Gump - This one can't just help but melt your heart like a box of chocolates.

6. Back to the Future - All of them. It's one cohesive story in three parts. Oh to think what Transformers would have been like if Zemeckis ended up directing Transformers (wasn't he Spielberg's first choice?)

7. Lord of the Rings - Epic. Just Epic.

8. You Can't Take it With You - Screw "It's a Wonderful life". This one was Capra's opus.

9. The Sting - Watch it. Watch it again. Watch it a third time. You think you caught it all?

10. The Incredibles - This list needed some Pixar. I'll give it some.

11. Mozart and the Whale - Disclaimer: I may be biased towards this film due to to my own similarities with the characters (Asperger's syndrome), but it definitely pulled me in and wouldn't let go. I wouldn't call it a gross exaggeration to say this movie changed my life.

12. The Godfather - With the amount of parodies I'd seen of the movie before watching it, I thought I was in for a letdown. Turns out I wasn't.

13. The Iron Giant - Words escape me.

14. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I love me some Jack Nicholson. Doesn't hurt that this movie named our favorite Autobot medic.

15. (Insert a Hitchcock film here) - The master of suspense truly deserved that epithet. I have a hard time deciding which one was best.

16. Terminator 2. I've never been a fan of the "liquid metal" concept in sci-fi, but this movie came as close as possible to making me let it slide.

17. The Silence of the Lambs - Chilling and captivating. Hopkins had ~22 minutes of screen time (unusual for a "lead") and damn if he didn't use them well.

18. The Empire Strikes Back - I don't think I can say anything that hasn't been said before.

19. The Maltese Falcon - The ending STILL gets me every time.

20. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - I'll end this selection with one of the greatest cinematic thrill rides I ever had.

Honorable mention: Transformers (2007). It has (IMO) some of THE greatest moments I've ever seen in a movie, but it is punctuated with too many painful bits that render most of the first third of the movie (as well as some scenes in the latter parts) near-unwatchable.

4. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

Aah, Dr. Strangelove, how could I forget that one?

"MEIN FUHRER! I CAN VALK!" lol truley a classic.

5. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    (In no particular order, other than alphabetical, and with as little explanation as possible)

1. "Big Trouble In Little China" (Jack Burton, the Pork Chop Express, you can't go wrong)
    2. "Bubba Ho-Tep" (Bruce Campbell absolutely KILLS as Elvis in a Texas nursing home)
    3. "The Color of Money" (Scorcese puts Paul Newman up against the "new star" in Tom Cruise and guess what? Paul Newman can still kick everybody's ass)
    4. "The Deer Hunter" (Arguably the best war movie of all time, showing the harrowing effect it can have after the fact)
    5. "Glengarry Glen Ross" (Worth watching for Alec Baldwin's performance alone)
    6. "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" (Vintage Clint Eastwood)
    7. "King Of New York" (Christopher Walken as vicious and intense as he can be)
    8. "Leon: The Professional" (Quite simply, one of the best action movies ever...period)
    9. "Patton" (George C. Scott completely embodies the famous/infamous General Patton)
    10. "Platoon" (Up there with Deer Hunter for showing the psychological effects of war)
    11. "Raging Bull" (Scorcese. DeNiro. Nuff' said)
    12. "Robocop" (Forget the cheesy sequels, the first movie is a certifiable classic, not just for sci-fi but for it's satirical undertones and touches of "Frankenstein")
    13. "Saving Private Ryan" (Nuff' said)
    14. "The Searchers" (John Wayne's greatest performance in the greatest western ever)
    15. "Seven Samurai" (Kurosawa's "Ran" is probably a technically better movie, but I enjoy watching this one more)
    16. "Stripes" (This was THE breakout role for Bill Murray, and for good reason)
    17. "This Is Spinal Tap" (Spontaneously combusing drummers...a must-see)
    18. "Tombstone" (Worth watching for Val Kilmer's portrayal of Doc Holliday, alone)
    19. "Touch of Evil" (Orson Welles and Charlton Heston, a true noir classic)
    20. "The Untouchables" (Sean Connery, Kevin Costner and Robert DeNiro as Al Capone. Instant classic)

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cavaets - In no particular order, I don't watch a lot of movies, there are entire genres/series I don't like and I have unusual taste.

- The Lord of the Rings, extended edition - Counting the entire 'trilogy' as one movie. Excellent movies in their own right and near-perfect adaptation of Tolkein's novels. There's some things from the books that I wish had been included, but Jackson also removed some parts that were annoying, so it balances out. I've never been much for the fantasy genre, but still enjoyed the heck out of these.

- The Matrix (original) - Unique ideas, CGI and other effects that were revolutionary for the time and a tight plot with a good mix of action and philosophizing. Plus, stands alone well enough that the sequels can be ignored.

- Terminator 2, theatrical release - A fun ride with great action, but surprisingly good characterization as well. I specify the theatrical version because while the extended edition(s) offered some extra character development, they slowed the plot down too much.

- Beavis and Butthead Do America - I only kind of liked the show, and I don't care much for comedies in general, but thought this film was a riot. Really wish Mike Judge would get around to doing a sequel.

- Transformers (2007) - Not without it's flaws, but I thought the effects were spectacular, it was a fun ride and it was a breath of fresh air the franchise needed after years of rehashing G1 (and the subsequent rehashing of G1 that followed). Entertaining and enjoyable.

- The Incredibles - My favorite Pixar film and a great movie all-around. Excellent animation and a good mix of action, comedy and characterization. One of the few movies I own that I liked enough to listen to all the commentary.

- Wall-E - Beautifully animated and surprisingly engaging, given the limited dialogue from the main character. Would probably be my favorite Pixar film if it wasn't so damn preachy.

- Perfect Blue - Thought-provoking storyline and very nice animation, plus I really enjoy Satoshi Kon's work, in general.

- The Dark Knight - The ultimate comic book movie, as far as I'm concerned. Given the source material, the depth of the plot and characterization is impressive and the performances were extraordinary. Whether Nolan does another one or not, it's going to be difficult for future Batman movies to live up to this.

- Batman Begins - Pretty much the same as The Dark Knight, although it's not as strong, since it's saddled with the origin story and there's a science issue that bugs me. Otherwise, an excellent flick.

- Event Horizon - Not as good as I remember it being when I first watched it, but still an impressive mixture of sci-fi and horror.

- Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl - Surprisingly good for being based on a theme park ride. Just a generally fun movie and an enjoyable ride. To bad the sequels disappeared up their own asses with overly-convoluted plots.

- Spirited Away - I could probably list all of Miyazaki's films, but this is my favorite. Need to rewatch this on my new TV to properly enjoy the animation.

- South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut - I have a soft spot for this because I'm Canadian, but it's also the only musical I've ever enjoyed. Also does a great job balancing comedy, satire and commentary, a balance South Park has struggled with recently, IMO.

- Dracula 3000 - Nonsensical plot, terrible acting and bizarre, random ending. It's one of the worst movies I've ever seen but, unlike Blair Witch Project or anything Tarantino's ever done, it's so bad that I actually enjoy it.

- Dark City - A lot of unique ideas and an impressive atmosphere. The ending was a little 'meh' for me, but it was a good story getting there.

- John Carpenter's The Thing - I liked the mix of sci-fi, body horror and psychological horror and the ending was the sort of bleak 'no one wins' sort of thing I like.

- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Yeah, it's a melting pot of special effects and random scenes in search of a plot, but it's still a fun ride and I really enjoyed it. Just finished rewatching it tonight on Blu-Ray and it still holds up as a lot of fun.

- Flesh Gordon - What? It's funny, damn it!

- Heavy Metal - An animated classic with an interesting mix of styles, although the overarching plot is a bit weak.

Syndrome died in The Incredibles and that was all humans.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  7. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen "Santa's Slay"? That movie deserves an honorable mention indeed :lolol 

8. newguy

newguy i

Well I can't reall say. My favs change according to what mood i'm in.

Currently I'm in love with Godzilla again, while sometimes i may just love Indiana Jones, or Starwars.

9. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    1. The Land Before Time

FUCK YOU THE ORIGINAL WAS AWESOME. I saw it like 400 times when I was a kid, and back then, THEY RELEASED IT TO THEATERS.

2. Milo & Otis

Kitty! Puppy! Creepy voice over!

3. Dr. Horrible's Sing A Long Blog

With my freeze ray I will STOP...

4. The Matrix

The first film set you up to be terribly disappointed by the sequels.

5. Major League

<3

6. Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Epic. Beautiful.

7. Star Wars all six movies

Epic. Kind of lame special effects, even the new ones, but still epic.

8. Batman: The Dark Knight

Heath Ledger is redeemed for Brokeback Mountain.

9. Batman Returns

The Penguin and Catwoman were hot.

10. Dawn of the Dead (latest remake)

Still scares me to this day.

11. Zombieland

Because it's that awesome.

12. Star Trek (2009)

Because I meet Zachary Quentin and he was cool.

13. Transformers the Movie (1986)

The only movie I've watched repeatidly for no reason.

14. Office Space

Anyone who has ever worked in a cubicle knows why this is on the list.

15. Dodgeball

Ben Stiller cracks me up. NO ONE MAKES ME BLEED MY OWN BLOOD.

16. Forrest Gump

Only on the list because I found myself watching it tonight.

17. Serenity

That Summer girl is fucking hot.

18. 5th Element

Bruce Willis is awesome.

19. Armageddon

Bruce Willis is still awesome.

20. Transformers (2007)

Made my toys feel real, and destroyed the franchise I love at the same time.

10. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    1. Shawshank Redemption - Beautifully done film, and really IMO Morgan Freeman's best performance.

2. District 9 - Fuck anyone saying this is a copy of Alien Nation. If anything, this perfected Alien nation's plot. My number 2nd favorite. It fits action, drama, mystery, subtle humor, all of that stuff into my favorite sci-fi movie.

3. 40 Year Old Virgin - My favorite comedy. Steve Carrel playing what will basically be me in the next 24 years? Yes please.

4. Halloween - John Carpenter is a master of horror. This movie doesn't deserve all of the shitty sequels it got....Well, Halloween 2 was decent actually.

5. Shaun of the Dead - I think the tagline says it best. A romantic comedy with zombies.

6. Jurassic Park - This was the first movie I ever saw. I watched it when I was three, and it's really what got me into movies in the first place.

7. Cloverfield - This movie's great. With the exception of the moments where everything stopped for MTV style drama, which really pissed me off. This isn't Titanic, there's a fucking monster attacking the city right next to you! Stop rekindling your love!

8. Transformers - Actually, either this or ROTF. Both are probably among my top favorite action movies, despite their various problems. So yeah, ROTF's on my list. You don't like it, fucking bite me.

9. Christmas Story - You know, I would make this my favorite comedy, but really, I don't think it counts...It's just so good that picking it as my favorite comedy would seem too obvious.

10. Superman - Just a fun movie to watch. It's really not to deep, and I wouldn't call it a masterpiece like District 9 or Shawshank, but it's fun. That's really all there is to say about it.

11. Indiana Jones - Any of these besides the Crystal Skull fuck version are great. But if I had to pick, I'd really choose Temple of Doom. Just to see how serious some of Indy's adventures really are, seeing his kid partner whipped in front of him. It's really dark.

12. As Good as It Gets - Nicholson W00T. I actually was kind of forced to watch this for the first time at a friends house, but ended up loving it.

13. The Producers (remake) - YES! Lane and Broderick together, and Will Ferrel as an insane singing Nazi! YES!
    FUN FACT: I actually played Bialystock for my school's play.

14. Plan 9 from Outer Space - You know...there are movies so bad that you just can't help but love them for it. Plan 9 is my favorite bad flick.

15. Ed Wood - One of Burton's only three films I like, and tell Wood's story beautifully. Depp was perfect for the part.

16. Watchmen - I never read the graphic novel (WTF? Giant squid?) so that may be the reason I like this movie so much.

17. Terminator - Ahnold! Great movie, and just one that's fun to watch for the sake of Schwarzenegger going around shooting random people, while looking for a specific person. Which is actually humorous in it's own way.

18. Men In Black - My only problem with this movie is, to my memory, they never really explained Area 51. I thought they could have gotten really creative with that. But Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith! That more then makes up for the stupid stuff!

19. Iron Man - My favorite superhero movie. I love how not everything works out for Tony in the end (Spiderman 2) and yet not everything goes wrong (Dark Knight). Everything in this movie has just the right amount of stuff, humor, action, romance, the works.

20. BACK TO THE FUTURE - If you need me to explain why this movie is good, GET OUT. If you haven't seen this movie, watch it or GTFO. Christopher Lloyd is amazing, and so is basically every other actor in these movies. But let's face it, Lloyd is who everyone wants to see. My favorite movie.

If I could add one more, I'd add Forrest Gump/Ghostbusters.

11. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    Okay, I'll bite.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington Wide-eyed optimism at its best. The Capra/Stewart craftsmanship in this one makes it simple yet relevant in almost any era.

The Seventh Seal Just looking at stills from this movie spooks the shit out of me.

The Terminal A perfect example of what Spielberg can do when he's not trying to make you go "wow" over and over with silly special effects shots or frantic chase and action scenes. Characters. Remember them, Steven?

The Little Mermaid This movie revived Disney feature animation and for damn good reason, in no small thanks to the likes of Glen Keane, Alan Menken, and the late, great Howard Ashman. Beauty and the Beast may have gotten the Academy nod for a Best Picture nom for an animated flick, but this one deserved it first.

The Searchers Arguably John Wayne and John Ford's best western. I can't really say why without blowing the whole damn movie, so go out and watch it already.

X2: X-Men United In my opinion the best a comic book movie can get by still retaining that "comic book" feel. So suck it, Ratner.

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure Tough sell, but hear me out. Any movie about time travel is asking for trouble when it come to keeping the story and plot straight for the audience but this flick makes it look easy. And not to mention, fun.

Monsters, Inc I guess I have to have a Pixar flick on here, right? This one's my pick, and not just from a technical aspect. I could go on and on why this is my fav, but I'll just say this: it didn't try to make me cry every thirty Goddamned minutes. coughFINDINGNEMOcough

The American President Aaron Sorkin, Rob Reiner and a dialog-savvy cast with the likes of Michael Douglas, Martin Sheen, Annette Benning and Michael J. Fox? I don't think I need to say more.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Raiders set 'em up, Last Crusade knocked 'em down. Honestly, they're both almost on par with each other when it comes to adventure, but I think Last Crusade wins it with the Indy/Dad relationship.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country With all due respect to the 2009 flick, this is my favorite Trek flick. The fanwankery of seeing the original cast in a well-crafted swan song under Meyer's careful watch is hard to beat.

The Untouchables Sure, the dialog's cheesy at times but that's part of the charm. And you can't deny that it has some of the greatest shootouts in any gangster movie. And it even finds time to make a Battleship Potempkin reference.

North by Northwest Cary Grant. That is all.

The Shining I'm not a big Kubrick fan, I have to admit that this is one freaky movie. The scares may be mild by today's standards, but there's a reason for that... this one SET some of those standards.

The Magnificent Seven Yes, Seven Samurai is great. But turning it into a western with Yul Brenner, Steve McQueen, James Coburn, et al? Do I really need to say more? And you really can't get a better ensemble cast outside of The Great Escape.

The Count of Monte Cristo Yes. I'm talking about the Jim Caviezel one. This is how you make a Hollywood version of classic literature. The book is one of my favorites of all time, but even I have to admit it has a shitton of deadwood. This flick condenses it down without making you feel stupid, and even manages to change some... "issues" I had with the novel...

The Last of the Mohicans Honestly, I couldn't give a rat's ass about any conservation message that may or may not exist in this (if I want to watch Dances With Wolves, I'll watch Dances With Wolves. Honestly, I don't really feel like subjecting myself to 3+ hours of pain). To put it bluntly, the movie may be borderline pandering at times but it's a welcome reminder of a time when Michael Mann still knew how to make movies.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks Keep your Mary Poppins. This is classic Disney live-action at its best.

True Lies My personal quintessential James Cameron movie. I love Terminator and Aliens as much as the next nerd, but when Cameron pulls tongue-in-cheek stuff off (which he doesn't do often outside of this movie) he knocks it out of the park. And with Arnold in the mix it's just classic.

Adolescence of Utena Yeah, I'm putting an anime on this list. Bite me. Not so much a mindfuck as it just doesn't make a damn bit of sense. So much that the director is like "I don't know what the hell is going on. Just make something up." That and it's pretty. And it has lesbians. Lesbians that transform into cars.

12. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Here are my 20 movies, don't feel like explaining why:
    Oh yeah, they are in no particular order

1) Westworld
    2) Superman the movie
    3) Superman II - The Richard Donner cut.
    4) Robocop
    5) Terminator
    6) Knowing
    7) The Goonies
    8) POTC - Dead Man's chest.
    9) Superbad
    10) Raiders of the lost Ark.
    11) National treasure (1+2)
    12) Batman Begins
    13) The dark Knight
    14) Nightmare on Elm Street - The original one.
    15) Starship Troopers.
    16) The Money Pit
    17) Back to the future (The entire trilogy)
    18) District 9
    19) The rock (The one and only GOOD Michael Bay Movie - The rest is dreck!)
    20) The good, the bad and the ugly.

13. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

The Labyrinth-Not only is it an awesome Jim Henson movie but it had yound Jennifer Connelly in it.(sigh)

The Empire Strikes Back-Of course.Is it really an opinion to say it's the best?

Transfromers the Movie (1986)-I watch this thing all the time, love the fan commentary on the dvd by the way.TFW represent.

Shaun of the Dead-Second favorite zombie movie next to-

Dawn of the Dead(remake)-I know it's a remake but c'mon.

Ash versus the Army of Darkness-Bruce campbell as Ashely J. Williams = awesome.

Flash Gordan-I get bashed for this all the time by my younger brother but it's awesome.

Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children-The action alone is so over the top awesome.

The Last Unicorn-Is it wrong that I was attracted to the unicorn after she became human?

It's a Wonderful Life-Oh, you mean the kid who had his ears slapped by the druggist.LOL

The Lion King-Say what you will about Disney but they can do a musical number like no ones business.

Iron Man-Is it also wrong that I <3 Robert Downey Jr.?

The Nightmare Before Christmas-I like weird musical numbers.

The Wind and the Willows-Toad was so awesome.

The Lord of the Rings:The Fellowship of the Ring-I love the way the book started out and the movie's beginning makes me want to be a Hobbit and just chill out all day in the Shire.That was the dorkiest thing ever said.

Short Circuit-What kind of lover of sentient robotic lifeforms would I be if I neglected to mention this one.

The Iron Giant-He's a giant lovable robot...that can fly!!!

The Thing(John Carpenters)-Super creepy and nightmarish.

Ghost Busters-I aint afraid of no ghost.My favorite Bill Murray movie.

Beetlejuice-For reals yo.What? It was cool.

edit-damn, I missed Big Trouble in Little China.

14. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Holy shit...I feel lacking all of the sudden...Why havnt I watched this?!

15. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

1. The Matrix - Still the most mesmerizing movie I've ever seeen. Truly Groundbreaking. The sequels were ok, but they don't touch this one.
    2. Chasing Amy - awesome acting mixed with Kevin Smith's dialogue.
    3. Terminator 2 - Action on an epic scale
    4. The Dark Knight - a great story, and the best acting performance I've ever seen.
    5. Braveheart - An epic with action, and emotion, about a man willing to make the difficult sacrifices necessary for freedom.
    6. The Goonies - Chunk, Sloth, Data, and a pirate ship, need I say more? (hurry up already with the blu-ray!!)
    7. Big Trouble in Little China - Jack Burton said I should love it, double or nothing.
    8. Clerks 2 - Smith's funniest film thus far, and his most complete after Chasing Amy.
    9. Major League - The best underdog movie ever.
    10. Indiana Jones (first 3) - Classic character, classic movies. Ignoring the last one.
    11. Back to the Future - Just all around good clean time traveling fun.
    12. South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut - An amazing piece of satire and the only musical I'll ever like.
    13. Die Hard - Possibly the best pure action movie of all time.
    14. The Rock - Possibly the best pure action movie since.
    15. Willow - A fun humorous fantasy epic with likable characters and little people too.
    16. Better Off Dead - Just five words, "I want my two dollars!" Always loved that Camaro too (why couldn't the 2010 model look like that??)
    17. Independence Day - The epitome of the Summer Blockbuster. Emmerich usually sucks, and this has plenty of flaws, but it's a rehash of V (one of my favorite TV series as a kid) and I loved it all. I saw this 18 times at the theater.
    18. Remaining Kevin Smith films - It's hard to pick them out individually, but I love them all, even if they are shot rather poorly.
    19. Ghostbusters - Ghosts, Bill Murray, and the Staypuff Marshmallow Man.
    20. Office Space - I don't want to go to work anymore either, or pay my bills, and somebody DID steal my stapler.

Honorable mention: Short Circuit (fuck Wall-E) and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (Great crazy fun).

16. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that. That was also a really good movie.

17. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    All time top 20 movies in no particular order...

1. The Shawshank Redemption
    2. Almost Famous
    3. Apt Pupil
    4. The Dark Knight
    5. Empire Strikes Back
    6. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    7. Back to the Future
    8. The Princess Bride
    9. The Labyrinth
    10. Ghostbusters
    11. Silence of the Lambs
    12. JFK
    13. Lost in Translation
    14. Quiz Show
    15. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
    16. Saving Private Ryan
    17. The Sixth Sense
    18. Muppets Christmas Carol
    19. The Wizard of Oz
    20. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - I wanted to stay away from picking all of them, as this is the top 20, not the top 22, but I couldn't decide which of the 3 deserves the single spot.

Honorable mentions are...

The Bourne Trilogy
    The Shining
    Gladiator

EDIT: I'm adding The Transformers: The Movie (1986) as I don't see it getting any love whatsoever and it is by far the better of the 3 movies so far.

18. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    Great Topic!

My Top 20 Movies (not in order):

1. The Godfather - Probably my favorite movie of all-time. Just a great, great story. To describe it like a movie critic - it was a "great ride".

2. North By Northwest - Alfred Hitchcock movies rock! This is my favorite one. I love the auction scene.

3. Rear Window - Another Hitchcock movie. I saw this movie with my fiance (now wife) - we were at a pre-marriage retreat (we are Catholic and had to go to the retreat in order to get married in the Church) when we got bored and snuck out and saw this movie at a local theater nearby. So it has some sentimental value. Plus, Grace Kelly is stunning.

4. The Matrix - Pretty much for the same reasons everybody else has mentioned.

5. Back To The Future - Ditto.

6. Forrest Gump - If the Godfather isn't my favorite movie, then this one is. My best friend growing up was a girl. As we got older, we went our separate ways but still saw each other occaisionally. So I kind of saw Forrest and Jenny's relationship as similar to the one I had with my friend.

7. Transformers 2007 - My favorite Transformers movie (sorry 1986 - you are a close second).

8. Empire Strikes Back - I was a kid in the 80's - I loved Star Wars and have to have at least one of these movies on the list. This is my favorite.

9. Braveheart - Makes me want to be a better man. I realize how cheesey that last sentence was. Shut up.

10. Bambi - My favorite Disney movie - I still remember seeing this with my Mom in the theater.

11. Spider-Man 2 - Best comic book movie for me. Sorry Dark Night. I'm a Spider-Man guy.

12. Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade - My favorite Indiana Jones movie. I love the interactions between Indy and his dad. Raiders ruled too.

13. Ghostbusters - For the same reasons everybody else mentioned.

14. The Princess Bride - "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die!" I still quote that line. And my wife hates it everytime I do.

15. Casino Royale - Best Bond movie ever.

16. Pirates of the Carribean - Great performance by Depp. Another movie where the sequels sucked.

17. Hoosiers - my favorite sports flick.

18. Star Trek (2009) - My current favorite movie of 2009. I doubt it will be on the "Top 20" list years from now. But for right now, it is.

19. Austin Powers International Man of Mystery - When I first saw this movie, I thought it was just ok. Then I watched it again and laughed harder. Then I watched it again and laughed even harder. The movie got better for me the more I watched it. I also really like jokes in the movie that make you think. The sequels lacked the wit of the original and had way more potty humor - they sucked.

20. Meet the Parents - I could pretty much write the same exact comment for this movie as I did for Austin Powers. The sequels sucked too.

19. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In no order of preference...

1. The Dark Knight – For a film to clock 2hrs 20mins (long for today’s standards); you would expect the pace to drop, with this one it didn’t, terrific story and brilliant performances from Heath Ledger and Aaron Eckhart. (Did anyone notice the director’s use of light and shadow whenever Harvey Dent would loose his temper.)

2. Se7en – Again, it’s all about pacing, of course Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey helped it by commanding the screen.

3. Die Hard – If a film can get you cheering for the good guy and the bad guy, it must be doing something right.

4. Hot Fuzz – Shaun of the Dead didn’t make me laugh; this one did however, great deadpan performance from Simon Pegg, inspired selection of support from Timothy Dalton and Edward Woodward (R.I.P). Was I the only one that laughed when seeing the N.W.A on the door, because no one else did in a packed cinema.

5. The Thing – My first horror film (5 or 6 years old), the effects would still put some of todays to shame. Surprising that considering the open ending that a sequel was never made, but that’s not a bad thing.

6. Casino Royale (2006) – Read the book years ago and was always disappointed that this James Bond would never appear on screen, thank you Daniel Craig for ending the wait.

7. Conspiracy – HBO movie (does this count?) that revolves around the meeting to discuss the Final Solution. How a movie that has men sitting around a table eating and drinking, and conducting what was the most hideous crime in the 20th century as a business meeting for most of the film’s duration can still put a chill down the spine is a credit to the actors, scriptwriters and director.

8. Raiders of the Lost Ark and ...

9. The Last Crusade – Can’t add anything more to either film then what has already been said.

10. The Untouchables – Can’t really explain why this one is on the list, absolutely hate Kevin Costner as an actor, but I’ve always enjoyed the film.

11. Aliens – Depends on opinion, but for me, a sequel that surpasses the original. Despite a larger set, it still managed to keep the claustrophobia and tension of the first.

12. L.A. Confidential – Could have been a very average film if not for the performances from Russell Crowe, Guy Pearce, Kim Basinger and Kevin Spacey. Have watched the film about a dozen times and have not got bored of it yet.

13. :)  Friday the 13th (2009) – Will probably get a lot of flak for entering this one, but those opening 20 minutes had me on the edge of the seat. First time that’s happened with a Friday the 13th since watching Part 3. Derek Mears is also a worthy successor to the hockey mask.

14. Kill Bill Vol. 1 – Sorry, but for me, Tarantino’s best. Shame he got it so wrong for Vol. 2 (His worst).

15. Iron Man – Pure entertainment from start to finish. Did anyone else think Gwyneth Paltrow kept getting hotter and hotter as the film went on?

16. The Empire Strikes Back – To be honest, wasn’t much of a fan of Star Wars, but this one got my imagination, oh and as someone else mentioned, the bad guys win!!

17. Jeepers Creepers – Back when this was released, there were not many horror films which you would call either scary or creepy. This one went had both and a great monster in The Creeper. Sadly followed by an average sequel.

18. The Descent – A film that would put anyone off of pot-holing for life, and a bit of a mindf*ck for the ending. As a horror film, it did everything that it needed to do, and a bit more...

19. The Fugitive – Tommy. Lee. Jones. He deserved the Oscar for this.

20. A Shot in the Dark – Love all but one (Trail of...) of the Pink Panther films, so this one was hard to decide on. With any of these films it was never about the plot, script or support, just Peter Sellers, although Herbert Lom matched him in the laughter stakes at times.

20. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    No particular order. I know you wanted reasons, but it looks like there is a lot of overlap here, I don't want to to be redundant.

1. The Shawshank Redemption
    2. A Clockwork Orange
    3. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
    4. The Dark Knight
    5. Empire Strikes Back
    6. 12 Monkeys
    7. Fight Club
    8. The Princess Bride
    9. Shawn of the Dead
    10. Night of the Living Dead
    11. 28 Days Later
    12. 2001: A Space Odyssey.
    13. The Bourne Trilogy (can't just list one)
    14. Spirited Away (Or Princess Mononoke, hard for me to decide)
    15. Office Space
    16. Amadeus
    17. Transfromers the Movie (1986)
    18. Never Ending Story
    19. American Beauty
    20. Amélie

I'm sure I will go back at some point and say "Doh, I forgot this movie!"