Customs: Purple paint

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by MonkeyBusiness, Dec 12, 2010.

1. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

Alright, I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm trying to mix purple paint for WfC Megatron and Soundwave. Any suggestions? Nothing I mix is bright enough.

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Florecent paints my friend, florecent paints.

3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  4. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

See, I tried that. The flourescents just disappeared, and when I mixed them separately, the blue overwhelmed the red.

5. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To be fair the flourescents are meant for black lighting.

look up a color mix chart online. I use one for color compliments on my art every now and then.

Show pics of what you have so far.

6. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

Sometimes purple can be a really hard color to mix and get what you want. I haven't tried to mix a florescent purple with model paints or whatever specifically before but, with oil paints if you mix a red and blue you can end up with a really dark violet color and not the regular classic purpley purple you wanted. To fix that problem with oils my professors have suggested that I purchase and use a pre-mixed tube to have a "truer" purple (specifically dioxazine purple, if you want to know which you probably don't). My suggestion for you is similar, try painting a pre-mixed purple (like GW liche or warlock purple with a little white mixed in, that could give you that bright light purple like in the game I think) in a thin or clear layer over a white glow-in-the-dark or florescent paint to get the look you want. Also, what if you didn't mix the paints you have together at all and just painted on a the florescent red (let fully dry) then a clear layer of florescent blue or vise versa. You could end up with a cool purple that way too. Again, this is just me guessing and throwing out ideas I haven't actually done this before. There have been a couple of really great WFC Megs and Soundwave repaints on the boards already, try doing a search for them in the Radicons sections and see if they said what they used in the thread or PM them and ask them directly. Everyone on the boards are really cool about answering custom related questions (as you probably already know by posting this here) and wouldn't mind helping you out. Good luck, I'm sure if you just do your best, no matter what, you are going to end up with a great looking figure.

7. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You tried Pink as a mix with something to create the purple? Building up from a bright pink would be better then building down from purple.