Purchases you can't pull the trigger on

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mr. Chaos, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    I think we've all had a moment like the one I am in right now: find a figure you want, but be it the price, or reviews, or other concerns, you find yourself unable to pull the trigger and make the purchase. You wonder if you should make the deal now, as to avoid the item slipping through your fingers, or wait and see if a better deal comes (or see if the figure is merely you falling in, for lack of a better word, lust instead of love).

A have a couple examples:

-Debated for a while if I should get a generations figure (Shadow something or other, forget the name) for customizing. I ended up waiting too long and missed out on getting it for a few bucks cheaper. It was an ok figure, but I honestly don't know now, after I customized it, if I would do it all over again.

-Wanted to get Legends Ratchet with the Lunar playset. Decided to wait, even as all the other sets were gobbled up, but it ended up working out as I got him yesterday for 6 bucks and I love the Lunar roller he comes with.

-Wreck-Gar. Oh Wreck-Gar. First I wanted you, then I didn't, then i wanted you again and discovered no one had you so I bought you and Junkheap off E-bay for around 18 bucks each, then bought another Junkhead to customize. Then I hated myself for buying the same mold three times. And now I knida like you but I waffled between kicking myself in the butt for getting you and being glad for how cool you and the custom Junkheap and original Junkion Chaingang look.

-Currently (and what inspired this thread) I am waffling on getting a Movie Que and WFC Cliffjumper for 49.99. Most Ques are 35 dollars, and Cliffies are 25, for it would be a steal, but I don't know if I really NEED either figure...Que may be coming out next year state-side and I hate paying full price for a model I already have when it comes to Cliff.

Anyone else care to share their stories of buying waffling?

2. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    Friggin' Shattered Glass Grimlock

It's my biggest want, the ultimate and most elusive Grimlock toy, and everytime I look at a sale for him, I want to buy him, but that price tag pushed me back and makes me want to wait.

Then the price goes up another $30 and then I wish I bought it sooner.

3. Hothouse Prime

Hothouse Prime Not old... Just older.

Botcon Kick-over... I want him because I love the mold, but apparently so does everyone else, because every time I see him for around $80 on Ebay I bid, but can't pull the trigger at $90...

I also waffled so long on the WFC Megatron and Prime that I missed my chance to buy them at retail and had to grab then off Ebay. Same for just about every CHUG figure before last year, back when I was only collecting on a "its cool to me" basis.

4. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I have this problem with G2 Bruticus right now. See, everything tells me I should buy him. Free shipping, attractive price, cool coloration, awesome bot, but be it 5 bots, 7 bots, or 3 bots, I just wouldn't be able to justify a price of sixty dollars for anything right now. I have Cyberverse convictions, and they stop me from getting this guy. However, I finally have the two new commanders, and the Legions don't cost much, so maybe it's time to pull the trigger.

Also, preorder. I can't justify waiting 3 months for the figure.

5. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Masterpiece Grimlock, the US version. I missed out on him while he was in stores, and now every time I see him, I just can't justify the cost. Over retail price? Sure, I can stomach that. But $100+? That's just too rich for my blood, even for a Masterpiece. It's why I can't bring myself to buy 3rd Party products, too.

TM2 Blackarachnia counts, too; if I ever saw her for just twenty, maybe ten dollars cheaper than EVERYONE WHO SELLS HER, I'd totally buy it, no second thoughts.

6. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    Preorder actually made it easier for me to pull the trigger of Bruticus. Since Amazon doesn't charge till they send it, I can have it sit there and if i find the regular figures in retail at a cheaper price (coupons, sales, so on) I can easily cancel. And if I can't, then atleast he is a backup.

7. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    SDCC Bruticus. Would he be cool to have? Sure. Will I pay $100 (more if not on HTS) + shipping for him? Hell no.

8. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

Mostly just third party stuff at the moment. Headrobots Blood the Dark Warrior (for Voyager Bludgeon), mostly for those awesome looking swords; iGear Kup heads; Perfect Effect Scouting Force X, and more recently Motobot RC. (the pink one) I want the stuff, but then other stuff gets in the way or they're sold out.

9. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    They don't charge until they send it?

Bought.

10. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    +1

I just preordered the G2 version from Amazon for half that price.

11. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hercules set. Love the designs, love the size, love that they're unique and not KO'd from existing HasTak molds, etc., but I just can't justify dropping $600+ on figures that are barely bigger than Deluxes.

Henkei Inferno, Ratchet & Ironhide. These are 3 of very few figures where I prefer the Henkei versions over the Hasbro versions, but what they go for on the secondary market is almost criminal. I want them - I just don't $100 per figure want them.

Encore Devastator set & Omega Supreme. Would love to have these brand new again, but they're each just over the price I'm willing to justify paying for outdated G1 figures.

12. bossman328

bossman328 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Walmart MP starscream. I want him bad...but I never purchased a figure for more than $60 guess I won't be getting him.

AM 12. I've had him in my cart multiple times on different websites, had my cc info, ready for checkout...still can't do it

13. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    So is this the bitch about prices of figures that have been out of production for years thread?

If I want something and it won't financially cripple me, I buy it. The market rarely (if ever) turns me off from things.

14. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty sure you couldn't miss the point of this thread anymore than you just did. Wow.

15. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pretty much this.

16. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

This. I really want this since I can't get the Wrecker Ruinition yet. It looks like a really good Combiner, but the price is just too high & I will not wait for Pre-ordering until it's the month that they are supposed to ship out.

17. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't decide between Hercules or Giant, and regardless of being unable to decide, I can't pull the trigger either with both being so expensive. What's stopping me is they are 3rd party figures (not knocking them, hear me out) when I see so many awesome figures coming from Takara and Hasbro, like the masterpiece figures (have all on preorder), mp-10 that I want, Gaia Unicron and other figures...it's hard to find left over cash for Herc or Giant.

18. jinx23

jinx23 Wrecker

Ebay:
    Rid brave max

19. Leemaster777

Leemaster777 Junkion

Ebay:
    10th Anniversary Beast Wars Megatron.

Not because of the price (although that does play a slight factor). It's mostly because if I got him, I'd have to get the 10th Anniversary Beast Wars Optimus Primal to match him. And I... do not like that mold. At all. It's like they took all the worst aspects of Transmetal Primal and applied it to a new figure.

I'm kinda OCD like that. If I get an Optimus, I almost always have to get a Megatron to match him, and vice versa.

20. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    This thread has helped me buy G2 Bruticus. Thanks, thread.