Purchase with intent to open

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lumpy, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    or how i purchase figures and then just keep them sealed and open them on a rainy day...

so, sometimes i'll find myself buying a figure that i'm not insanely excited about, but do want...so i buy said figure, take it home, and put it on a shelf TBO (to be opened) and then it sits there for awhile...sometimes a long while...until i find the desire to open it...sometimes this desire comes when there's a long drought and i haven't bought a new TF in awhile, sometimes it comes when i get a figure that has a gimmick corresponding with the said unopened toy...

a few examples...

Movie 1 wingblade - i had cybertron wingsaber and prime...sold prime cuz i was trimming my primes (which i later realized i didnt want to do and am now tracking down a Cyb Prime.) so i then sold wingsaber, because i didn't have anyone for him to combine with, and he was worth almost 3 times what i had paid for him... but then wingblade came out, and i found him well after the first movie, so i bought him so i have someone to combine with once i get prime...but i haven't opened him because i still don't have prime...

or ROTF leader prime and Voyager Fallen... got them both on sale, the day after i got back from a vacation to Denver...while in denver, i played with my cousins Prime and Fallen...and i waited... prime is waiting for jetfire, who i am hoping to get for christmas... and fallen just wasn't a fantastic toy and i didn't have room in my movie display for him...so he's just been sealed...

does anyone else do this?

ps, off the top of my head, here's the TF's i currently have unopened...please note, i have more then just TF's that are unopened...

ROTF leader prime, ROTF fallen, ROTF Swerve, ROTF gears, Animated Skywarp, Movie 1 wingblade, Target Exclusive White Leo Prime, ROTF superion, BW returns BlackArachnia, Walmart Exclusive Red Powerglide...

i think that's all...and that doesn't count any TF's that i'm definitely keeping sealed, like my Classics Astrotrain or my Energon Bruticus set...both of which i have opened and displayed as well as sealed...

and here's a picture of all the unopened toys i've got in my closet...
    [​IMG]
    and you can't see it, but zombie spiderman is up there too... the g3 trailer has been recently opened...and dragstrip, overkill and city commander are opened, the rest are still sealed...

ps...the two gwen stefani dolls are the wifes...

2. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

the longest i've kept something in it's box is almost a whole day. t'was ani skywarp, whose colour scheme i like so much i just looked at him for a while :) 

he's going to look black, purple and awesome on my mini-shelf of black & purple awesome planes alongside MP Skywarp, and Dark Skyfire (when he's finally released).

3. zealottoyou

zealottoyou Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my tfcon power commander is still sealed in my container, my primal prime has been a prisoner in his own sealed cube for many years. heck i even have some sealed macross v2.0 stuffs around.

4. zealottoyou

zealottoyou Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    double post, edit out

5. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Yes. With a full time job, and a hobby in toy collecting your bound to make a pile to open. Its a bit frustrating, I've still got the walmart universe ultras (red powerglide, etc. ) sitting under a pile of revenge stuff.

dieing for a new transformers toyline to come out. A new cartoon definitely Sounds more sustainable for a toy line than a movie. It's hard work to open all these boxes!

6. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wish I could do this. But I just can't. Longest I've waited with opening my new stack of toys was half a day. :lol 

7. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I have lots of TF's that I haven't gotten around to opening. I got MP Wal*Mart Starscream when it first came out and still haven't thought to open it, mainly because it keeps escaping me to do it. Same with MP Skywarp and Grimlock.

Some others:

Universe 2.0 Nemesis Prime with Nemesis City Commander add-ons.
    ROTF Bruticus

I have lots of sealed reissues too, but keep putting them off. When I'm done with my Master's Degree in May I think I'll make the time to address my collection better.

8. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:
    There's also this related thread from a couple months ago

My backlog has gotten a *little* bit smaller. I "give" myself 1 Transformer a week, in an attempt to control spending as well as spreading out the toys so I always have something "new". But I'm hoping to have a backlog of 0 by the end of 2010.

9. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah I got a pile of stuff now that I still haven't opened. Some of it has been there for over 6 months. I only have like 4 figures that I don't ever plan on opening. But not being a movie fan, I have to keep some stuff around for when theres nothing for me to buy.

10. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    nice...i forgot about that thread...maybe SydneyY will come check out this thread now...whats really funny is since that thread, the things in my pile are still in my pile, and then theres more new stuff...

11. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sure. I only ship my BBTS pile of loot three or four times a year, so there's usually 20-30 toys in it when it arrives. Sometimes I don't get round to opening them for several weeks.

It's always fun, though! :) 

12. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    This could be the smart thing to do, securing a particular TF of which you kind of suspect, it might become hard to get by in the future.

13. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    that waiting to open something idea is genious. saves money too but I dont think I have the willpower to do it. hell just knowing I have TFA Ldr Megs and magnus sitting in the next room in there boxes ready to be wrapped for christmas is killing me lol

14. Rhapsody_Prime

Rhapsody_Prime ...such Heroic Nonsence.

I wish I had the personal restraint to do this, but I do not. I think there is still too much kid in me to keep unopened toys lying around. I just recently opened my G2 Road Pig that was sealed because I couldn't stand it anymore, him being all alone in that plastic bubble. He was just SCREAMING to be played with, so I obliged.

The longest I have waited to open any figure is the next morning/day.

...so much for restraint.

End of Line

15. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    That's a good idea.

I don't do it though.

16. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    most of my recent purchases have not been opened yet, i keep them in those plastic storage boxes, until i set them loose and store them in smaller plastic cases i use for each dx figure and keep several smaller figures in... :) 

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whenever I end up with multiple items to open, I only open one per day, using a random number generator to decide which one I open every day. How many items I get at once determines how long something sits unopened. Usually, that's not very long, since I don't get many items at once. However, when RotF first came out this summer, I had a period of over a month where I opened a new toy almost every day, just because I'd get the pile worked down a little and then some new stuff would come out and get added to the pile, etc.

18. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah. I do this. My TBO pile currently stands at about 30 from various lines and ranges. Most often, a store will have a sale and I will pick up a couple. I will then open one and put the others aside. Then, next week when there is nothing to pick up, I open an older box instead of buying something that I dont really want. The trouble is, the TBO pile is so large now that I cant remember exactly what is there without looking - not too bad - and some of them have been there for a long time.... and there is a risk of the figure being cheaper before I have even opened it!

And, I sometimes watch a review of a figure, or just rediscover one, and then want to go off and open it up, which is cool to do, or find a particular gimmick that I want to take a look at.

At the end of a bad day, there is nothing better than cracking open a figure that you have not had to fight and queue for, and which has cost nothing that day!

19. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have yet to open my Henkei Hot Rod... waiting when FP released their protector add-on to open :p 

20. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i buy everything with an intent to open immediately