Punisher War Zone - Now on DVD

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Optimus17, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Optimus17

Optimus17 Well-Known Member

Hey just wondering if anyone is buying of this. I bought the 2-disc special edition. Hollywood is once again ripping us off by giving us a 1-disc that has no special features on it. Oh well it's still a great movie.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I miss the days when 2-disc editions were the norm and not blatant attempts to milk customers out of a few more bucks.

3. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I downloaded this night befor last and OMG AWFUL!!! Thomas Jane Punisher was a helluva lot better. Dont waste your money on this one.

4. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I'm picking this up tomorrow. Pumped. Saw it in theater twice. This guy kicks the ass of Thomas-the-pussy-in-training-Jane

5. Optimus17

Both of them had their good and bad parts to them. Ray Stevenson makes a better Punisher as a character and it was nice to see him actually punishing people and not just vengeance killing. It was also great to see Jigsaw, Soap, and Micro in a movie. Also actually seeing Frank in New York was nice. But the Thomas Jane character had it right with making it R but not going overboard with the gore and even the language was less in the Tom Jane one. If they could somehow combine the two movies then I think that they would make an amazing Punisher movie.

6. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    I disagreee I tought this movie was much better than the first one even if the main villian looked cheap as hell I thought it was a great and unbelievably gruesome movie

7. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    I agree, Punisher War Zone was waaaaayyyyyy better than the Thomas Jane Punisher movie. PWZ had a lot more action and was a bit more brutal when it came down to punishing the criminals.

8. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

I actually download it and watched it a few nights ago thinking it was going to be awful, but it was pretty good. In the moive he's just brutal, I've always thought that how a Punisher movie should be and because of that I bought yesturday. My dad and I watched last night and even he thought it was a great action flick, he said it was better then the last one, he said the last one was too slow.

You can't compare the 2 moives at all, really there just do differnt. I'm a huge fan of the last Punisher moive just a all around great flick. But if you like to see someone just kick ass and do it in a very brutal fashion at times then check it out. I mean it's the Punisher he does what he does and it does it very well in this movie.

9. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I got the regular edition because apparently the special in the 2 disk edition just meant they were putting a digital copy in. Spend $5 for that? No thank you.

Anyway, War Zone was a different Punisher movie. It it was a sequel, it was to the Dolph one. It actually fits a lot better. Both in NYC, living in the sewers, just out to kill bad guys.

Anyway, I liked the movie. It was very Garth Ennis inspired. Brutal, unforgiving and at times, just weird. I enjoyed it for that reason. The only thing that I was iffy about was Loony Bin Jim. Definately a fitting Punisher character but a little too over the top.

Jane's wasn't a bad Punisher, just not THE Punisher. He didn't have the look or the edge that someone playing Frank Castle needs. Jane was more like your typical revenge inspired movie like Payback.

10. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I really liked PWZ. I don't understand the hate. It's certainly no worse than any given 1980s cheesy vigilante movie. It never tries to pretend to be anything else. It also adheres to the comic book's story and visuals VERY loyally.

11. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I hope this is coming out in the UK soon. I loved this film.

12. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

I'm a little late to the party on this one. Maybe because no one KNEW it was out in the theaters I haven't been able to FIND a copy around here until today when one showed up for rent in a redbox.

I'm a little torn. It has everything I wished was in the first movie, but at the same time there were elements lacking that the first one had. The change in backstory from the previous Punisher movie felt a bit awkward, even if it was the comic origin, I had no trouble living with the movie version updated a bit.

The violence was top notch though. Criminal scum getting what they really deserve, and an over the top bad guy who revels in his own villainy being taken out extra hard by Frank Castle. Yes that's the core of the Punisher right there, and it was satisfying to watch.

However the cinematography threw me a bit. I think I get what the director was trying to do with the over saturated colors, bizarre lighting, and constant haze, to give a feel of a moving comic book, and if this were spawn, Daredevil, or another sort of dark hero that would have worked. But this is The Punisher and the colors just don't sit right, they're a distraction. I much prefered the look of the previous movie with more natural looking lighting, that gave it a sort of low budget, almost western feel.

I'd say we still don't have a perfect Punisher movie but we're getting closer. Now if ideas from these two could be combined, then we'd have an ideal Punisher.

13. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I just rented the movie a few days ago. It's alright, I think I liked the other Punisher movie a little more though. Some stuff in this movie where a bit corney, like the hanging upside down on a chandelier bit.

14. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What? This is supposed to be a sequel to the Dolph one? So this movie ignores the Thomas Jane one?

It's been a long time since I seen the Dolph one but I do not recall it being very good. I've heard much more mixed things about this one though.

15. steph1979

steph1979 Banned

Its pretty damning how hard Hollywood struggles to make a good Punisher movie considering the source material, you'd think it'd be easier to get right at compared -Man characters. He's basically familiar Hollywood archetype as played by the likes Eastwood and Bronson. Go figure.

What they should do is do an origin movie that has lots of flashbacks during his time in Nam. That'd be cool.

16. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    this movie was a storyless piece of shit, in my opinion.

17. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

I still havent' seen it but plan to soon. I agree though, if there was a way to combine this and the last punisher movie, you'd probably have a perfect movie, still this one definitly looks closer to the source, more brutal, less human and forgiving.

18. Optimus17

No this is not a sequel to the Dolph one. I'm not sure where he gets that from. Yes it does ignore the Tom Jane one. I thought that was pretty clear. This is a sequel reboot movie, like The Incredible Hulk. It's a sequel in the sense that it's not an origin story, Punisher is already pre-established. It's a reboot because it is a brand new, stand-alone film that was meant to reboot the Punisher film franchise. I haven't seen the Dolph one but from what I have seen in clips and reviews it doesn't seem very good. I'd have to see it for myself though.

19. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I didn't mean it was officially a sequel. I meant that it felt more like a sequel to Dolph's and Jane's Punisher. It is not a sequel to either though. But just watch the Dolph one, if you can. And watch this following. it actually fits together pretty decently.

Oh and the Dolph one wasn't that bad. It would have been 100 times better if he just had the damn skull shirt and not been sitting naked in a sewer.

20. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Movie was worth it for this:

[​IMG]