PSPgo pissing off some retailers. Some not even carrying it

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. batcam11

batcam11 SHINIGAMI CHOP!!!

i rather stick with my psp lite...nice and smooth

3. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree but I think there is possibly some justification in what they are saying.

Unlike the the iphone, the traditional focus of the psp (like all console/portable game systems) has primarily been the games. As such, they have devoted large amounts of shelf space for that product. Without the games available, they have empty shelves and their sales may drop because customers hate empty shelves. Plus if they are directly making money off of shelf space being devoted to sony products, they'll be losing that as well.

Also unlike the iphone where you can rip a music cd or movie that you have purchased from the best buy store, you can't just (easily) rip a umd that you purchased. This leaves stores with a bunch of backstock that they see as essentially obsolete. As such they could view it as stock they need to put onto clearance since new customers and customers having to replace their items will likely end up with the new psp. Remember how well umd movies sold? you could be looking at a similar situation with games now.

Similarly, these stores may also then have a fair bit of backstock of the old style psp systems that customers don't want to buy because they will be waiting for the new version, and therefore this will also hurt sales of the current stock of games that they have.

Unfortunately, not everyone is up to date enough with internet transactions either, and so going completely to dlc based games without a physically purchasable format is also a potential hit to sales. Not everyone shops online (I'm the only one in my family and extended family outside of my uncle) and so that can limit the amount of people buying the games for the psp. I know of a lot of people who have purchased ipods who can't figure out how to use the itunes store, let alone use itunes itself, and so while that may not be a problem for people who are buying the psp for themselves and know how to use the online store, if it is a parent buying the system for their kid and they can't understand the store, they won't be buying the psp for them. All this potentially hurts retailers of the psp because people will be coming in to their store, looking for games and the psp, and when all this is explained to them by the employees there they may simply end up leaving having wasted the employees time and efforts that they could have spent on other sales.

The loss of a physical media also means that games are not transferable, and hence not resaleable. I think for at least some people this is also still a major issue.

One final thing I might suggest is that the profit margin that stores are getting for the actual psp systems may be very small, while the margin on games is very high. The costs associated with shipping and the shelf space devoted to each game combined with the relatively significant price may give stores a more significant margin on games when compared to the heavier, larger packaging for the psp systems alone. I know that a lot of systems are sold at a loss to the company producing them (at least for the first while after launch) but companies relly on software sales to save them. To an extent this must be passed onto the retailers as well, so to take away the software and keep that to themselves (which is potentially an even greater margin now that no physical materials are being produced, shipped or returned) stores are losing out on a potential source of revenue, while having to stick with one they may be making little profit off of.

I think a lot of this could be (in part) dealt with via the use of dlc codes that are sold by stores to people wanting the games. By allowing people the ability to purchase a simple code in a store you are giving people an alternative to uploading credit card info while still having an effective use of the shelf space that retailers provide for these systems and their games. If kept simple like xbox-live cards or wii points cards this could also allow retailers to keep shipping costs down and potentially allow them access to a peice of the pie when it comes to the greater margin that that would allow to be made off these types of games. It won't solve every problem, but I think like the dlc disks for rockband, the lost and the damned, and fallout 3, a physical media alternative is still something that needs to be in stores

4. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

It's bound to happen. When I worked at Target the store cost versus resale of an N64, GBA and GBA SP was $0.99. An almost nonexistant profit on consoles is going to sour retailers, they can make a profit on the accessories but those are generally a one time purchase.

The whole sale costs of the larger Iphone is around $280, a healthy profit when sold at retail without a new contract. With a contract At&t subsidises the difference.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No need defend them to me. I agree. If Sony was going to do this, they should have done it with a 100% new system, not re-release of another system that half of it relies on physical media. Oh, and by the way, PS3 also has "live cards" (and their money system works better than the competition because you're not forced to buy in point tiers, you pay for what you want and not a penny more) so people can still buy PSN money and get their PSP games that way, (I did it with Unbound Saga, which was a download only PSP game, and I also did it with Patapon 2, so there is a way for them to participate if they get with the times instead of fighting them.)

But the reality is that there is a potential for everyone to one day to go download only, so while their aggression is somewhat understood, the times, they are a changin'

6. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ...My Gamestop likes me so I'll buy one from them......................since it's like across the street.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would actually still buy PSN card from Gamestop. It keeps them going and it helps me control my spending, otherwise I tend to click buy on everything, like I do with my Iphone

8. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    The main problem with selling a system and not selling anything with it is there is ZERO profit margin on Video Game Hardware. If I ran a Video Game store I would be pissed too.

That said aside from a few Xbox Live games (That I would rather have on a Disc with packaging) I have absolutely no use for digital distribution. I prefer to own a physical copy of what I paid for.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hear ya. I own the PSN version of Wipeout HD, and I am half tempted to buy the new disc edition. I hate to admit this, but I am still a sucker for box art and packaging. But the thing is with handhelds (and the notion of portability) I am willing to bend a little, even if the box art to Phantasy Star portable always tends to change my mind. That's one thing I like about my Iphone, it's already my phone and I have all of my games wherever I am, so I don't have to say, "Doh, I wish I had brought Zelda with me."

10. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

they probably don't want any market confusion either. the stores will obviously still be selling psp games and the old psp. selling a new psp that doesn't play any of the games on the shelf is going to make for some angry/confused customers. this system won't do well.

11. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

wait, what disc edition? you know I want that game...

12. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I had Downloaded Pac-Man Championship Edition and Galaga Legions. I still bought the Namco Museum pack that had them on it and extra games that I already had on other systems. I like owning the game, DD feels like renting to me. Now if Capcom would do one with SSFIIHDR, Puzzle Fighter HDR, Bionic Commando Rearmed and Mega Man 9 I would buy it i an instant.

13. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

But thats the whole problem right there with DLC. Right now you're seeing Companies mainly Video Game Companies ie Sony switching from physical distrobution of a title to digital distrobution. Which unfortunatly for a lot of gamers is where all Game Companies are going so when you in 5 years from now go to Best Buy and only see the system - games you will know why.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only places that DLC doesn't make me nervous is on PSN and Itunes. One lets you back up your shit (Itunes), and PSN knows what you have bought based on your email and lets you download it to 4 or5 (I forget) PS3s. Even if you fill those PS3's up, you can unactivate one and DL it to another, so I have never felt that I would lose my purchases if my PS3 exploded.

With the drama of porting your Downloads on the 360 when the Elite came out (That special USB cable MS sent out), and the fact that I lost all of my original Wiicade games from my first Wii, I can see why some folks are afraid of 100% DLC. I think I have redownloaded Ratchet and Clank Quest for Booty 5 times on my PS3 and never got a message stopping me. In the store, everything you have bought has a little red bag next to it, and redownloading is easy. The same applies to Itunes. That's why I am not worried about the GO, except that this should have been a new system, and not a migration of an old system where 99% of the games out are physical media.

15. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

360 lets you download games as many times as you want. The only catch is that you have to be signed into live if you purchased those games on a different console. Even then they have the license transfer tool on xbox.com to get everything onto one console. You could take your profile to someone else's 360 and download an relevant games/DLC and play them. As soon as you sign out then the games revert to trials and the DLC just doesn't show up.

As for Wii games, Nintendo will generally give you a way to recover your games if you call up support.

While Sony's system is cool it has cropped up whole websites dedicated to account trading. People have created one off accounts and will buy game X. They'll then remove cc and other personal info to trade accounts with someone else to recieve game Y in exchange. As long as that account is on the system, even if it's not active, accurate or signed in then both players have gotten a game they did not pay for.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah, me and my two buddies share copies of Warhawk and Wipeout, but the accounts do have to be active. Not logged in, but active, because I maxed out my activated systems and it told me that my limit had been reached, so I couldn't install Fat Princess on his. Even if I activate, download, and deactivate, Fat Princess will no longer be playable. So there are some limitations to prevent Bobby from giving every one on the planet a copy of Fat Princess.

And the reason the MS one still bothers me is because it still discourages the migration to downloadable games. If I bought a physical game and took it to a friend's, he could play it on his account and earn achievments and stuff. If I download a game using my Live account on his system, he will lose it when I leave. My friends can still play Wipeout on their systems and earn trophies and play against me, even when I am not there, so it eases my mind knowing that if I bought a second PS3, that the games I legally own could be played on multiple systems, even if I am not signed in, emulating the same playability as a physically-owned game.

Nintendo did add a way to reclaim old games, but it happened after I returned my Wii and before I bought my new one, but it was no big deal. I registered with their site for my new Wii, but I haven't tested reclaiming old games. I have a 4gig stick in the Wii so I have plenty of room for the Wiicade.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    This.

Think the average consumer is going to know what is going on with the PSP GO?
    What about when they walk into a store and see it, and then see the new Hanna Montana PSP right next to it?

I think Sony has placed an inordinate amount of education detail on the retailer for a system that retailers will make almost no money from.

18. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

as well, if the retailer is going to educate customers on it, i honestly can't see it working well. using hannah montana as an example again here.

mom goes out and buys a pspgo (because it's the newer, hence obviously better system) and the hannah montana game. guy at the register says "are you sure you want this game? you can't play it on this system." so mom says "well what games do work on it?" the guy at the counter has to reply "none of the ones on the shelf will work, only downloads." i guarantee you at that point the pspgo has lost a sale, and there is a good chance that mom will be leaving the store with a dsi, because at least she can avoid the confusion over which games work with it.

19. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Thats a pretty big catch though. When my first 360 fried itself I got shipped a brand new 360 from MS. They were supposed to sort out my licensing stuff for all the DLC I bought, but they hadn't. Cue a weeks of cursing and swearing, relicensing and then redownloading EVERYTHING I had bought before bast on the download list of my Gamertag.

Pain in the ASS.

Personally I prefer having a game on physical media. I have bought a bunch of XBL games, but only because there simply isn't any other choice. Plus physical media makes things much more satisfying to collect, which satisfies my hoarding needs.

If the future consists of DLC only content I want no part of it... well kicking and screaming maybe.

20. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Change it a Bitch. But it Happens. Its been the same for about 30 years. Its been long enough