PSP: UMD Conversion Plan Killed

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OmegaScourge, Sep 26, 2009.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

doesnt look like a good thing...

2. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Haven't bought a PSP game in quite a while (heard good things about God of War though), didn't plan on getting the Go anyway.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know... If 1000-3000 wasn't still being sold, then yes, it would be a bad thing, but no one is forcing me to buy this thing.

If a person walked into a gamestop with the intent of buying a PSP, and chose to buy a 3000, he/she would have all the UMDs available and could still choose to buy Digital versions as well.

If a person never had a PSP in his life and wanted to buy a brand new one for the first time, then this would be an option, since any purchase from this moment on could be digital.

They AREN'T killing the old PSP or UMD releases. People will continue to be able to buy UMD, but the option for buying Digital is there for all PSP users.

I am not buying one because I don't need a new PSP and I have a huge UMD library. But I will buy Gran Turismo digitally (and any new PSP game I get) just in case I adopt a GO later.

It's not the end of the world. It really isn't. It's another choice.

4. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're make a good point, and I think that keeping the original psp around is a great idea.

But this raises the question then: Why is the pspgo even being produced in the first place? or at the very least, why is it being sold at the price it is? You can buy memorystick pro duos for pretty cheap prices now, so the added memory isn't that much of a bargain.

It's like having a netbook cost more than a similarly built laptop, and all the programs you could run on the latpop won't run on the netbook. It's sort of like when they started making pocket pc's. Even with a keyboard attachements those things were not match for notebook computers in pretty well any form. I could barely get the use out of mine as an ebook reader.

People can buy it or not. it's up to them, but I personally can't see sony's logic here. If there was some way to convert old umd games then that could make sense to me, but killing the idea just kills the entire prospect of getting a psp go for me.

5. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've gotta say that I'm finding myself on the viewpoint of "what is the PSPGo accomplishing in the big picture". I admit I haven't done a ton of research, but if existing UMDs can't be used in some way with it, it feels kinda launchdoomed.

Not taking a side or anything, I just dunno what the market ideal is here. :D 

6. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    I feel the same way. The PSPgo just seems like a "what is it trying to do?" kind of move.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Reason I am tempted....

Which is irrelevant, because I am not getting it because I have too many UMDs.

But if I was going to buy one and to answer Vangelus' question.

Ultimate Portability. I love my Iphone. I love it because I have like 18 good games in it. Some RPGs, some Action, some Strategy, and most of these games were like 5 bucks at most. I like that something that fits in my pocket can play almost my entire library at any time I want.

I have taken trips out of town and brought my PSP and a handful of games only to think later, "Shit, why didn't I bring Crisis Core."

Now that I have the Iphone, I can understand a little bit more why the PSPgo could be a cool thing, but I personally can't migrate until I replace some of my UMDs, which may never happen... Though it CAN happen, when the Digital copies go down enough in price that I can trade all of my UMDs for 50dollar PSN cards and spend it all on replacement games.

Basically, if you could avoid the growing pains, the notion of having almost your entire library in your pocket, including music and movies, is definitely nice. (This coming from someone who has Resident Evil 4, Golvellius, Dark Knight (the Movie) and Star Trek Episodes, anywhere I go (On top of plenty of other games). Pockets full of UMDs suck, but for now, $250 bucks and no replacements for them makes this a no go for me, although it is a cool little system.

Sony's reason, I assume: The PSP it getting a serious push in software lately, and it's receiving an assload of support from other game companies. This system is for the die-hard who will buy it even on top of their existing PSP, but moreover, it's for new adopters who want the fancy new model and aren't worried about it being digital only. You will not be left in the dirt if you went with a 3000 instead.

They buy the system next month, log onto PSN and almost the entire PSP library will be available for download, along with PSPminis $1-$5 games (some of which were successful titles on the Iphone.)

I am actually buying Gran Turismo digitally this week, JUST in Case.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  8. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

So the PSPGo is Sony's answer to Nintendo's Virtual Boy? :lol 

9. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So then you can still get most to all of the current psp games through the psp store digitally? That makes a difference I think because you can at least still get the older games.

I've gotta admit the portability is tempting and the new button layout is nice, but the price is the biggest dealbreaker for me. If it's pretty well psp-lite, then it should be lite-priced. Make it 150$ and I'll consider it. make it 100$ and I'm sold for sure (haha, like that will happen). but at 250$ I'll stick with my launch day psp for now.

10. panzerjedi

panzerjedi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, Sony is saying that they'll have both the PSP and the PSPGo in the same market. But Nintendo said the same thing about the Game Boy Advance and the DS. Look what happened there.

PSP is dead. PSPGo is where Sony will place its bets from now on. Having the console all digital means more profits for Sony, essentially. Purchasing games straight from PSN eliminates the middle man, the retailer (Target, Walmart, GameStop, etc.) Also, saying that there's not going to be a UMD to digital program means that the UMD resale market will decline even further and on top of that will allow Sony to sell the previously UMD-only games on PSN.

I think it's safe to say that Sony is being greedy on the UMD to digital thing. UMD-based games have been run off memory sticks for years now and I see no reason why they can't come up with a way to not force PSP customers that want a PSPGo to rebuy games they've already purchased.

Don't get GT for the PSP, imo. Doesn't seem like it's worth the $$$.
    http://psp.ign.com/articles/102/1024698p1.html

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    As long as the original PSP isn't completely discontinued immediately, I don't care much. It's only if games start being released digital only, PSP-Go only, when they were UMD releases as well in Japan, that I might get upset.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They said that wasn't going to happen. I can't say that games won't ever go Digital only, but I am starting to migrate that way with my 2000 PSP anyway, just to keep it all in one system (well what fits in an 8gig).

Thanks bro, but I trust a compulsive liar more than I trust IGN. All of the bad things they said about this game are also present in Gran Turismo Prologue and they gave that game a good review. It's a portable game. It doesn't need to have a massive campaign mode that I probable wouldn't scratch the surface on anyway. That and I want to start collecting cars for GT5 anyway. IGN said the controls and mechanics were great, and that's all I care about.

Anyway, either Sony is guilty for being "greedy" in removing UMD, or as a company, they see how well it's working for Apple, and and to adopt that system. Apple is Greedy too, and so is any company who wants to better their financial situation. Greedy Bastards. :D 

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  13. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

this whole things seems similar to what SEGA did with Genesis/CD/32X.

14. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

I like my psp don't get me wrong but I seem to play it less and less. I boughten a few games but have traded most back in and then a couple downloads. I dunno, got it when they had the Star Wars pack(white vader) and then they come out with another, and the next year we have another revision, kinda kills my buzz for it.

I just see no point in it, and as for no digital conversion when most of the friggin cases break on you or the little window wont stay popped in place making the game unplayable, count me out on the Go

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And Nintendo did with the DSI. Can't play GB Advance games on it anymore :( . I had more Advance games than DS.

I'm tellin' ya. This is for fannatics or new adopters. Anyone else can stick to what they have or choose another model. Think 360 Arcade edition with no Hard Drive. It's an option, but not the only 360 out there. The less people look at it as a replacement to the current PSPs, the less they will be butt-hurt and dramatic about it.

Never had that happened, and I have a lot of PSP games, but this is another reason why having it all digital will save future PSP owners potential heart aches.

"If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it. "

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  16. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a good point. Personally I've never understood why they went with such a ridiculous design for the umd disks. Mini-disks were alright, but they looked like fat 3.5 floppy disks sort of. umd's are just sort of ugly. Plus having that stupid little window makes it a pain to clean, because you end up blowing dust farther into the casing when you try to clean them

17. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I, um... can't really agree with either of those comparisons. The Genesis/CD/32X thing was Sega trying to extend the life of their console by adding extra devices to expand its capabilities. Sony is releasing a new version of their device that completely replaces the medium used for obtaining and storing games.

The DSi on the other hand, loses an extra backwards compatibility feature, but still plays all of your DS games, as long as they aren't Guitar Hero. It does not drop support for the platform's original media. That's like the PS3 dropping PS2 & PS1 support to cut costs, or the GBA Micro and original DS not supporting classic GameBoy and GameBoy Color games. Those all play the games originally made for older versions of the same platform in their original media. The PSP Go does not.

I'd say that the PSP Go not playing original PSP UMDs is more like the NeoGeo CD not playing original NeoGeo cartridges.[/quote]I'm tellin' ya. This is for fannatics or new adopters. Anyone else can stick to what they have or choose another model.[/quote]Agreed, as long as Sony doesn't end sales of UMD games.
    Also agreed. However, it does introduce possible troubles further down the line. What happens to the games when a PSP Go stops working sometime after it is no longer supported? How are gamers going to get vintage games for it someday when the PSP Go's store is long since offline? That's not me bashing Sony, BTW. I have that issue with all on-line distribution in general, especially on platforms with built-in copy protection.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's the part of me that doesn't like digital only. The only way to maintain it is to continuously allow for some sort of backwards compatibility. I know that where it stands you can pretty much download your purchases forever even after you delete them, but what happens when Sony moves on with a new machine? I am a huge classic game fan (I love replaying old games), so I won't easily just accept (move on to the new games.) That's why I am keeping my old PSP.

edit: Hey Flame, I think your quoty thingy is wacked out. I quoted your quoting a quote :D 

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  19. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Yo dawg! I heard you like quotes..."

20. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The PSP Go is shaping up to just be a bad, bad investment for gamers.