PSP Slim Problem

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by SuperPrimalZ, Apr 19, 2008.

1. SuperPrimalZ

SuperPrimalZ Well-Known Member

I have a completely legit PSP Slim and Lite(aka the PSP 2000 Series), no hacked, or homebrewed firmware, which I purchased back during launch of the redesign. It is the Daxter Bundle.

You see, my problem lies within the UMD drive. It has trouble reading discs, and if it isn't held in a odd position it won't read at all, and while trying to read the discs it makes loud sounds. Even if the Disc reads, once I start it, it wouldn't load any further from the PlayStation Portable Start-Up screen. I know it is not the discs, as they work perfectly fine with my friends' PSP 1000, and originally worked with my Slim.

What could have caused this? Any clue on how to fix it without sending it back to Sony? As I really don't want to buy another PSP Slim.

2. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Well, call Sony. Odds are, if it's still under the manufacturer's warrantee, they'll fix it for free.

3. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

ive replaced a screen on my psp and it seems like you can buy umd drives on ebay and replace it yourself. If you send it to sony, theyll just send you a different psp thats just been refurbished. You can find how to replace your umd drives on youtube. I wouldnt send it back to sony as almost everything in that hand held is easily replaceable with a little know how and being willing to try

4. SuperPrimalZ

Yeah, I still have Sony's warrantee(They gave it 1 Year). But I may try replacing the Drive myself, because I can't find my recipt for that PSP.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah that's never happened to me on the slim, so it's definitely hardware related, try for the Warrantee, or talk to a nice gamestop emlpyee and see if they'll hook you up.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    in my experience, warranty or not, sony will not touch it without the box and receipt.

call them just to be on the safe side though.

7. SuperPrimalZ

You know I did some research on this issue, and found a topic on the Official PlayStation boards from like two years ago, describing the exact same problem as my PSP(Making cranking noises while loading it, no longer being able to read any UMDs), except with the 1000 Series. This person was playing Tekken: Dark Ressurection. Guess which game I was playing for the first time ever on my silver slim when it crapped out on me? Yep, Tekken: Dark Ressurection. I don't want to say it because I like Tekken, but Tekken KOed my PSP :( 

And yeah, I really am going to need to find my recipt, I'm sure I didn't throw it away, I never throw away any purchase over $100.

8. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Yeah, you can fix it, and the PSP is real easy to rebuild, but still, call Sony, because they still might do it for free, whereas fixing it yourself would cost you for parts.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    and it's a pain in the ass to close the system back up without filling the screen with dust.