PSP Redesign details leaked...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Javi 2 Suave, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Javi 2 Suave

Javi 2 Suave The King Of Impulse TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This figures since I just got a new PSP, but here is the news on the redesign from Kotaku.com...

"Back in March, we brought word of a new and improved PlayStation Portable. But what good are the rumblings of new hardware without some of the details? Today, thanks to several sources close to Sony, we bring you that nitty gritty as the redesigned Playstation Portable nears completion.

Keep in mind this isn't Playstation Portable 2, but rather a redesign of the original, so it will be sporting the same internal hardware. But that's about the only thing that hasn't changed. The new Playstation Portable will have a much slimmer design, thanks mostly to a new LED screen that will deliver an ultra-crisp image but take up far less space. That LED also helps pump up the battery life of this sexy new model, which can last as much as four times longer than the original PSP. While the new PSP still makes use of the UMD drive, it will be a faster version and to help speed up loadtimes and gameplay, the portable will come packed with 8GBs of internal flash memory. Finally, the PSP's much maligned buttons have been revamped and the D-Pad has gotten a major overhaul, giving portable gamers something more like a Playstation 3 D-pad to play with.

The company is still trying to decide whether or not they want to include a built-in camera, as they weigh whether the cost of adding the device will be worth the benefit to gamers. Our money is on no camera because of the competitive price issues. Those of you holding out for a touchscreen are, unfortunately, going to have to wait, though word has it that it will most like make an appearance in Sony's next portable gaming device. While the new PSP will remain black, Sony is still trying to decide whether it will have a glossy or matte finish.

The final price for this new PSP hasn't been set, but Sony is hoping to sell it for under $170 or so. Manufacturing should commence in the upcoming weeks, and the product is going to be officially unveiled at this year's E3. The sale date being tossed around is August, but don't be surprised if it's pushed back to September. What's this reworked PSP called? It doesn't have a name as of yet, but may we suggest "PSP Slim"?

Sony Computer Entertainment of America declined to comment on "rumor or speculation."Brian Ashcraft"

2. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Hopefully there'll be a trade in incitive somewhere, and hopefully they'll take mine since the plastic around the upper screen corner has started to split apart. Other than that it'll still be used for music, video, and web browsing.

3. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I really hope they don't add a camera and have to raise the price on this new design.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    making the UMDs go faster is a mistake. those things are prone to breakage already, the last thing we need is one blowing apart inside the system.

everything else is good news.

5. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

I really need to stop getting things when they first come out.

6. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I hope they make it a clamshell design. That, along with the other improvements would make me consider it. That, and if homebrew can stay alive on it.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    nah, for the PSP to survive, they have to kill homebrew. I know not all homebrew is bad, but it opens the piracy floodgates with the PSP. It would be even worse with the rumored 8GB internal memory. The hardware sales for the PSP are good, software sales are abysmal and because of that developers are abandoning it left and right.

8. funkatron101

Ebay:
    I honestly don't think it's because of homebrew. I think the UMD format was a mistake. The loading times, and portability make it less appealing. It also failed as a movie format. I also think that there just aren't that many great games for it.

As much as they consider it a threat, it's kind of a pain in the ass, and not that much cheaper to play pirated games. Storage is a factor. UMDs are what, 1.8 gig? That fills up memory sticks quickly, and those cost money.

9. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

I bought the best buy replacement plan so I'll wait until i hear good reviews about the new one and then return mine for the new one.:wink: 

10. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed, but I still love my PSP even though it I only play it once in a blue moon. But come Transformers and Chains of Olypmus, that might change.

11. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    To be completely straight the only reason I have a PSP is homebrew, not psp game piracy but emulation. In all honesty a vast majority of the PSP games out there blow. If they were by some miracle able to "Kill" homebrew I would trade in mine tomorrow and only use my DS with no regrets.

Now if this new one proves to be as hackable is the original sign me up.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    if the new one isnt hackable, then nothing is stopping you from keeping the old model and doing homebrew on that.

if sony lets this thing be hacked as easily as the current model, they're giving the system a death sentence.

13. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Piracy is a niche market, it always will be. Most people don't have the time, energy, or thought process to play pirated games.

Piracy didn't stop PS2 from dominating, and it isn't stopping the DS either. In fact it is easier to play pirated games on the DS than it is on the PSP, and look who is winning.

If Sony spent half as much time battling piracy, and focused more on making better games, and a better system, then they would be sitting pretty.

14. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

My thoughts exactly. No matter how much Sony cries about it, piracy is not killing the PSP. If anything, combating piracy is hurting Sony more than anything. Right now, I know a surprising amount of people who will not buy a new game for the system because it will force them to upgrade their firmware and therefore loose their precious homebrew (of which there are actually some pretty cool and nifty programs).

15. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Bah, stuff like this I take with a grain of salt unless it's Sony themselves reporting it. 8GBs of internal Ram is just stupid. WHy in the hell would Sony make it easy for you to store your ISOs on the system? It makes no sense. They can't stop piracy on the OG PsP, why would they give you a buttload of storage on a new one? Ohhhhh, right , this one isn't hackable....HAHA, yeah right.

16. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Exactly, I have Faith that IF a new one is released DAX will have it hacked inside a week.

17. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Large memory is promising in a non-piracy/non-homebrew scene for two reasons:

1) Storage of more media - movies, music, etc.
    2) Storage of downloaded content.

Which brings me to my next point. If Sony were to make PSP games downloadable, using the PSP (not only when hooked in to a PS3), then it would make a huge memory capacity an awesome prospect. Another thing, the first thing I thought when getting my PSP is that the best possible way to use it, both battery life wise, and load-time wise, would be to have a built-in ripper. Buy a game, put it in, select something on-screen, rip it to memory. Sony could make it a hidden file that couldn't be viewed on computer, and people could use their PSP for hours longer on multi-loading games.

And in a perfect world, they'd fix the mistake of only allowing UMD based movies to have full-screen quality.

Ah well. The coolest thing going on here is the large memory capacity as far as I'm concerned. I like the idea of Homebrew, unfortunately, I don't like that most homebrew users are piracy advocates. So my stance on Homebrew is, *EH*. My stance on a PSP with a built in eight gigs? About friggin' time. Selling the PSP as the ultimate hand-held multi-media device was an awesome idea, but it was stupid to sell it with a one gig memory stick. Eight gigs is begginning to get into the territory where you could actually start using it as a multimedia device. Give me downloadable games and downloadable videos and I'm all over it. And don't tell me it would be impossible to lock down. iTunes seems to do OK for Apple and the iPod.

No two ways about it, I'll buy the new PSP a few months after release. Then I can pass off my first one to my sweety and we can Tekken duel each other constantly.

18. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Sony plans to release downloadable ps1 games. They already have but you need a PS3 and I don't want to spend $600 till it gets some better games.

19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Hacks and homebrew is the only thing keeping the PSP alive, as far as I'm concerned.

Most of the commercial games suck, you can't play PS1 games without a PS3, and even then you can't play all the ones you already have - there should be an OFFICIAL PS1 - PSP converter. Is there? Nope. Why? Because Sony wants you to pay for that old game twice. The PSP is a wonderful piece of hardware, but Sony just won't allow you to take advantage of it. MISTAKE.

No hacking = only what Sony gives us, which is mostly crap. I've found THREE UMD games I like since I got mine over a year ago. Hacking my PSP has made worth it's weight in gold to me. Take that away, and I wouldn't give a damn about it or use it, and I would probably never buy another game for it again - not that it's looking real hot right now in that department.

All this talk of homebrew killing the PSP is absolute Sony-paranoia horseshit. As mentioned before, please reference the DS in the piracy department. Piracy is even easier to do on the DS, but it's still going strong.

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    DS also has high enough sales where the pirates don't really impact anything in the grand scheme.

the lower the userbase is, the more piracy can hurt a system. and since the PSP's key demographic is late teens and 20's, people who are on the net a lot and can easily pirate because the damn entertainment pack comes with everything you need to do it, piracy IS hurting the system. talk to anyone who has ever released a game on the PSP, they'll tell you the same. it's something they worry constantly about.

I dont expect for any piraters to accept this. They never admit that what they're doing is wrong, its always someone else's fault. these people are the reason that you homebrew users who arent hurting a damn thing have to deal with constant and annoying firmware updates and other crap. No one ever likes to blame themselves. Sony has to do the anti-piracy/anti-homebrew stuff. you can't take out the piracy without taking out the homebrew as well. If they didnt combat the rampant piracy on the system, the publishers would stop supporting the system, which is what they're doing already. So expecting Sony to ever allow homebrew on any of their systems is pointless.