PSP problem

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Treadshot A1, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Hey guys, looking for some help here. After finding out i didn't have the money for a Vita after getting school supplies, i managed to find an old PSP, by which i mean the oldest of the old, the first one they released, for very cheap. So i bought some games for it. Which won't run.

All i've been able to find form a few nights spent googling are:
    a) The PSP's running some sort of weird firmware (3.52 M33, accrding the system settings menu)
    b) I think it's custom firmware, judging by google
    c) I can't upgrade to new firmware (Sony's just doesn't start, and the newer custom firwares all say a minimum of 3.52 M33-3 is necessary, note the extra 3 on the end)

Basically when i start up a new game, it says i need to update firmware, but the firmware always comes back with "game could not be started". The PSP still plays old games (the ones running offical firmware before 3.xx). So, someone explain to me what's going on? Or, for that matter, what a firmware is? And can it be fixed, or is it stuck running old games?

2. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    By firmware it mean the current operating system. You're gonna have to go to the darkest, deepest corner of the internet and see if you can find a site/forum that specializes in this stuff and find the latest one, download it and install it.

3. Treadshot A1

I did find the newest ones (custom firmware 5.xx and 6.xx), according to Google, but then when i followed the instructions, it always stopped (saying that the minimum requirement was 3.52 M33-3, while mine is only 3.52 M33), unable to update.

I've tried pretty much every google search i can think of, and folowed the tutorials, and even tried downloading and following Sony's instructions to update their firmware, but it doesn't seem to work.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Somewhere out there is an update that will update it to M33-3 from the original M-33. I used it a few years ago. It's old, that's probably why you can't find it.

I would take this question to a PSP forum. If worse comes to worse you can probably put the original FW back on, but I would highly recommend not doing that. The custom FW makes the old fat PSP SO much better.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  5. Treadshot A1

Thanks MMM. I wasn't aware there was an actual upgrade to M33-3 from M33 (in hindsight it was so blindingly obvious...). Thanks, hopefully it should be able to upgrade to the latest versions now. I'm testing the upgrade to CFW 5.xx or 6.xx now. :) 

EDIT: Managed to update to 5.00 M-33. Then succeeded in updating to (6.60 ME-1.6). As far as i'm concerned, that's a success!

EDIT: Bought Modnation Racers earlier tonight. Originally couldn't play it (required 6.21, when i was on 3.52 M33). Now that my PSP is on 6.60, it works. I don't know if that counts as a fix, all i know is that i managed to make the PSP run new games. Somehow. Don't ask me how. Internet tutorials, and luckily the PSP didn't end up bricking (i think, judging from google, bricking's a bad thing, right?). Meh, don't really know, don't really care, all i know is my machine works. I am therefore happy. :) 

This thread is kinda useless now, so mods can lock/delete if necessary.