PSP or DS?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by fschuler, Dec 17, 2006.

1. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I'm tired of playing Yahtzee on my cell phone during lunch/bathroom breaks...need to step things up a notch, or five. So, I've been thinking about getting one of the new portable systems, either a PSP or a DS. In your experience, what are the pros and cons to each of the systems? How good are the games? I enjoy racing, RPG, and GTA type games the most, if that makes a big difference in which system would make the most sense for me. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    It's completely personal pref. I love the DS for Mario, Castlevania and Final Fantasy 3. And I love it's third party support as else (trauma center = gold, I get to cut open people!).

3. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I prefer DS. Nothing against the PSP, micro powerhouse, and if you want a portable media device it's the best. But DS gets much better game support and the touch screen and dual screens really add a lot of playing style that just isn't possible on any other system. You wont find any GTA-style games, but the DS does get some good RPGs and will get more in the future with Dragon Quest 9.

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

On price, and selection of games, go with the DS.

The PSP is more expensive with a smaller selection of games, though if things like watching movies, looking at pictures, or listening to MP3's are more your interest, go with the PSP.

Personally, I love both. But I'd definately say in my opinion, the DS is hands down the system with more enjoyment on it gamewise.

5. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I have both and I use my PSP far-far more often. I gots no probs with the DS, I just fined more uses for the PSP.

6. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If racing and GTA games are your thing, the PSP is the place to be. It's almost like having a PS2 in your hands. Both GTA's and Ridge Racer for the PSP are fantastic. If sidescrollers, traditional RPGs and innovation are your thing, then the DS would be your best bet. They are both great systems with their own set of benefits.

7. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I find that DS has a far better selection of games.

8. gil

gil Godmaster

I have the DS and have no plans on getting the PSP, but for you, go with the PSP. The racing games on the DS suck, and only the PSP has GTA games. RPGs are best on the GBA, so I guess the DS would get that vote. But it's still 2-1 for the PSP for you. Another good thing about the PSP if your just using it on your breaks is it's like an Ipod.

9. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

Ive owned both and must say snag a DS.

Its got a great selection of games (New Super Mario Bros, Final Fantasy 3, Metroid Prime Pinball, Metroid Prime Hunters, Castlevania, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time) and the ability to play all Game Boy Advance games is killer.

PSP has hardly anything worth while.

10. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

PSP has a poor selection of games. DS has quite a large library, and is only picking up steam as time goes on. RPGs are being released on the DS, while the PSP is getting GTA games.

Get both.

11. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Both have their positives.

I want to get a DS again eventually. I got it when it came out and got bored a few months later because nothing was coming out.

PSP rocks though. MP3s, you can put videos on it and watch them, wireless internet, etc. It kicks ass. There are a good number of great games for it. I like it because it is more than just games. I use it for videos a lot. I will put a bunch of TV shows on it and watch them.

DS has some great games (from what I've heard) like Trauma Center, Pheonix Wright, Brain Age, etc. It is less expensive.

12. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I ahve both , my DS is probably my favorite but due Megaman AND castlevania fanboysim , also because I enjoy playing my bast GBA collection on it - it has a good handle for my hands. possibly will get New super mario bros soon, I need to get more funds, and I want mario kart since I played with my best friend,Metroid sounds like fun and trauma center and Ace attorney .

the psp is more like my media centre, as I only have one game-I just bougth it- marvel ultimate alliance, it is an small powerhouse, I like watching movies, and keeping pictures, and navigate the internets when Im at school or home without being tethered to a computer. it has a few games Im fully atracted to-burnout, Need for speed, megaman maverick hunter and that power up thingie

13. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    If you like retro gaming, get a USED psp. Older firmwares can run emulators and such.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    avoid the PSP for now. with developers jumping ship, and especially with the next Dragon Quest game being on the DS, a lot of companies are gonna follow suit. Grab a PSP when the inevitable price drop comes as a result next year.

15. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I have both, and I use my PSP more, but the DS has for more fun games. DS is great, love Mario Kart. But the PSP for the most part gets used by me only for listening to podcasts, and saving photos.

If you get a DS, games to get are: Mario 64, Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros, Metroid Prime Hunters (multiplayer is great), Meteos, Kirby Canvas Curse. And I hear good things about Big Brain Academy, Final Fantasy 3, and Elite Beat Agents.

If you go for the PSP, games I really enjoyed are: Lumines, Ultimate Ghosts N Ghouls, Me and my Katamari, Daxter, and Wipeout Pure. Hear great things about Metal Gear Solid: PO, but I think Im getting it for Christmas, so I'll play it soon.

16. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have both, and if you want something for portable gaming then you'll probably enjoy the DS more.

17. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    At this point in time, I am happier with the DS than PSP.

18. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

if you like gta, get a psp. its not much good for anything else, cept emulators and movies and such.

19. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

is UMD movies still around?

Get a DS....but you'll end of seeing your money go away fast due to all the good games that going to come out. :D 

PSP...don't really know what you could for that other than MGS (i would say GTA but i think it'll be ported to the PS2 again) and homebrews.

20. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

go with the ds. it has more games now, and it will have more in the future.