PSP. Help me decide/figure it out.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by silentdarth, Jan 30, 2008.

1. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    I think I want one for my birthday and my wife is an amazing woman who patronizes my geekiness.
    Tell me what you can about it and why I should get one or not. I have some credit at the local Game Crazy which I will put towards it and I'm trying to get a part time job there too. (But you don't care about that)
    Consider the soap box yours.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

If you have a PS3 (which I'm assuming you do from your sig), PSP-PS3 remote play is pretty sweet.

Custom firmware really rocks. Being able to put some cool stuff on your PSP, such as Emu's and ROM's. Lots of cool stuff with the PSP.

There are some really cool games for it as well. Not many, but some real gems.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  3. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    Ok, so how does the custom firmware work? I know there is the risk of futzing up the PSP permanently, and I'm not interested in that. What games would you recomend?

4. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I very much like my PSP and carry it around all the time, just research any game you buy, there is some really gold out there but also a lot of stinkers.

If you like GTA get Liberty City and Vice City Stories. I need to go to bed so I’ll let others list the rest of the good games.

5. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I really liked Daxter and Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters. Plus God of War is coming out in March and that's a must have game.

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    There is no risk of screwing up the PSP permanently with Pandora's battery and the newest custom firmwares.

The worst you could do is ruin a battery by improperly making the Pandora battery. If you have a proper Pandora's battery, you can screw up the firmware installation all you want and still go back to square one.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure how it works, but the slim supports Skype now, which is supposedly a way to use your PSP as a phone Via Wi-fi.

8. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I just got Skyroads and ZZT to work on mine. I am in classic DOS heaven.

9. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

I really want to try a custom firmware, but I do not want risk a good psp on it.

As for games
    Castlevania - awesome but very very hard
    Ratchet and Clank - to me always better than jak and dexter, but daxter is still fun
    God of War - the demo is awesome
    Monster Hunter 1 and 2 - The only reason to get a PSP.

10. Primus

News Credits:
    I want to try custom firmware too but I already ruined one battery trying it.

11. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

WHHHHHAAAAT?!?!?!

What other DOS games could you put on it? (Hoping for Crusader:No Remorse)

12. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

'the warriors' is a sound psp game if you like beat em ups. metal gear portable ops is one of the best designed psp games imo, but i guess only if you like mgs.

13. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
  14. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    If you're getting it for games (and don't have say..a DS) I'd say don't and opt for the better gaming handheld.

If for multimedia..well the PSP aint too bad on that front, since it comes with everything you need for that, as for the DS you need to buy an M3 and flashcards and what not for multimedia functions.

15. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Yeah.. Unless you intend to use it for media, and arn't willing to hack it.. Screw the PSP.

The PSP's worth only comes out when it has been hacked with custom firmware.

16. Primus

News Credits:
    Have you guys played the God of War demo? I'd hardly call that kind of graphics and gameplay capability in a handheld worthless.

17. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Very true...an unhacked PSP is boring as hell, and I would take a DS over it any day.

A hacked PSP, however...it's gaming bliss. The DS doesn't hold a candle to a hacked PSP. You can run damn near ANYTHING on it.

It's really not that hard to do if you're careful and can follow instructions. Like I said, the worst thing that you can do trying it is ruining a battery, and that's only with a slim. The fat PSP doesn't even need a physical battery mod, you can do it all with software.

18. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a DS and a PSP...got my PSP Slim Ice Silver for Xmas...honestly, my PSP is getting much more play right now. I haven't done custom firmware, and it's not my thing. I like my "boring" PSP just the way it is, and I like supporting software sales. I bought 2 more games for it just today as a fact, leading to me having roughly 10 games in less than a 1 month period.

19. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So do I. This has nothing to do with what you are alluding to. I'm glad you like your unmodded PSP, but you don't know what you're missing, honestly. No way I'll ever go back.

20. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Very indifferent about the graphics thing (really, graphics have never been a selling point to me. It's all about the game quality).

Not to say the PSP doesn't have good games (it does have a few rather solid titles, a lot more than it did the first couple years of its life). However, when compared to the DS's library it IS the inferior gaming handheld.