PSP GO vs Zune HD

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by nsr46gamer, Sep 8, 2009.

1. nsr46gamer

nsr46gamer Well-Known Member

Which one should i invest in? They both can play music, videos, and look at pictures yadda yadda.... they both also have wifi web browsers. the only big difference is that the psp go has expanable memory and it can play games (yes i know zune can play games too, but theres only like 5 available or something). But i've also herd that the new spot for the analog stick on the psp is in an awkward spot, and that older umd games are usless because it's an all digital game device. So my hopes and dreams of playing final fantasy tactics on the go are crushed. So which one should i get?

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Moved to correct forum.

3. nsr46gamer

whoops, thanks

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is a little gardening shop down the street from where I live that has held my interest more than the Zune. There are layers of things that I would get before the Zune. A PSPGo, an Iphone 3Gs, a small notebook, and a DSi.

But... I'm waiting to hear what Sony has planned, because supposedly they are working with Gamestop or something to retrograde your games for Digital Download codes. As for Final Fantasy Tactics: when the system launches, supposedly there will be opening a floodgate to downloaded versions of their games, so if you are new to PSP you won't feel the change.

edit: Also, sir. Final Fantasy Tactics is available as a PS1 download that works for both PSP and PS3, and that one is available now and works on both systems and their saves are transferable, so a game you start on your TV can be moved to your PSP and taken with you, and vice versa.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Neither.
    Get the original form factor PSP.
    Enjoy your UMDs and play the digital copies of games.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is seriously your best bet as far as PSP goes. I own UMD movies and I know those will not be retrograded.

Also, my Iphone saved my ass this weekend. I was halfway between Corpus and Harlingen and my boss called and said that I didn't turn in my timesheet. 5 Minutes later it was turned in. PSP and Zune need a dedicated non-wi-fi network for me to care more about them. And yes, I'd pay for it.

edit: Oh and I'd place the Zune HD over the DSI though. I have Negative 0 interest in the DSI. The Zune at least enables you to buy portable HD and keep it in HD when you pump it to your TV.

7. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Really, it seems that you are trying to pick between two completely different devices. One is intended to be a game system and one is a music platform. If you want to play games with the option to listen to music, get the PSP, though you might consider a slim original instead of the GO. If you want a dedicated music player that has portable HD radio with the option to play simpler games, get the Zune. The real benefit of the Zune is the software and the subscription based service. If you download a lot of music on a weekly basis, you can pay $15 a month to have unlimited access to most of the Zune catelog which can then be linked to your Zune player for browsing and downloading directly on the device from an open WiFi connection. If you just want something that plays your current mp3 collection, you'd be better off getting a cheaper altenative from a company like Creative.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry dude, I have an Iphone and a PSP, so the zune has never entered my radar. My cousin bought the original, and it was a cumbersome brick. It didn't play games, and the music quality really didn't provide anything that my Ipod and PSP did. The screen was too small compared to the PSP, so I had a better choice for my movies, and gaming wasn't even available on the Zune at the time.

Even before I had the Iphone, I would log onto this site, internet radio, and play good games on the PSP, so the interest in the ZuneHD would stem from wanting portable HD video, which, would be to small to really notice a huge difference, and punching it to the big screen, I'd rather buy it from Itunes and punch it out of my laptop or buy it on Live or PS3 and watch it in 1080.

So when I gave my opinion it was based on really not seeing a place for a Zune. PSP has a hellovalot more games, and lacks only the HD Radio and HD video, HD video on a handheld is almost a pointless gesture, so you are left with a decent MP3 player that is expensive and doesn't do anything outside of WiFi... Buy an Ipod touch. If you are going to be Wifi only, then you may as well have a shitload of options. If you like to game and that's very important, then you want a PSP. Even the Iphone doesn't have a strong enough library and, while the zune may have a library eventually, that's still quite a bit down the line.

9. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Well, I understand if the Zune isn't something you are interested in, just like the iPhone isn't something I'm interested. However, I don't dismiss the iPhone as pointless just because it's not for me (prefer my HTC with Android) and don't try to sway others to the same oppinion. Everyone has different needs and no single device meets all of them. Personally, the Zune 120 fits perfectly for what I needed, an al-le-cart download service with a built in radio, video, and large capacity. I just prefer to give the facts of what I know and let others make descisions for themselves based on what they need.

10. nsr46gamer

well i used to own the original psp untill i dropped it and it broke. i held on to some of my games, but theres not a whole lot of new games that really catch my eye, so i could always just trade in the ones i have. i just want a nice device that i can play my content on, with a decent amount of space on it. i guess playing games on it would come second, althogh it would be a plus. im just saying that if the zune is a better device, i would rather go with that, than a psp where i might not use it primarily for games.

are you positive that final fantasy tactics is available as a download? i know FFVII is because i got it the day it was available, but i never herd of tactics on the psn.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Who's dismissing? I'm stating that the reason there is no interest is because if you want an MP3 player only, there are cheaper choices. If you want a system that plays a decent library of games, there is another option, if you want a swiss army knife, there are choices (even the Android is a better choice than the zune), but if he gets this with the intention of playing Final Fantasy Tactics, then he will be stuck with a device that does things that he could easily do somewhere else, with the exception of HD video (on a portable, which will be barely noticeable). And the other choices will provide a number of other elements at a comparable price.

I'm glad you prefer to give the facts, but stating that the Zune plays HD video internal and out to TV and supports HD radio is also giving the facts. In fact, I believe that my statements included all of the articles that a Zune possesses, but because I am not suggesting it as a good option, based on his criteria (one of which seems very particular to playing games), that makes my opinion non-factual and only based on bias opinion?

He wanted our opinions, since facts could easily be attained at Microsoft or Sony's web site. My opinion... There are layers of gadgets out there that could give you more bang for your buck....Unless Portable HD Video and Music are your primary reason for owning this thing. Thus the Layer thing still stands.

12. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Well, what exactly is the content you want to play. If you just need a mp3 and video player, there are cheaper alternatives to the Zune and PSP.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll double check for you. I remember shrugging it off because I already owned it on UMD.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    News: Final Fantasy Tactics headed for PSN - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

These are the stories I read before and I know I've seen it in the Japanese Store, but like I said, I kinda shrugged them off. I'll check the US store when I get home, though I'm pretty sure that the PSP version will be one of the ones available digitally when the Go is released.

I honestly think the Go is too expensive, especially when large memory capacity is still available on the regular model.

15. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Prowl, no conflict intended, your post mearly came across (at least for me) as implying any device to be better than a Zune which I feel is a commonly held assumption that isn't as true as it was during the first generation of players and software.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Which is why I edited my original post and said that I'd actually put Zune on top of the DSI. It's just that good music/video players are no longer as obscure and "the new cool thing" as they used to be, and now you have so many options of gadgets that not only do the above, but also do a lot more, otherwise the gadget freak that I am would have taken note a long time ago.

If the game library that the Zune gets becomes interesting over the next few years, you bet your Sidewayz butt that I'll take another look at it. :D 

17. nsr46gamer

well i have a lot of music and i would like to take videos on the go. I was looking for something with a nice sized screen, decent amout of space, and not too expensive. (expensive would be over 300 for me) so i narrowed it down to the zune hd and the psp go because they both looked like cool devices. i realize they are pretty different being the psp go is mainly a game system, but i was just curious what other people would choose out of the two.

18. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
    Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker. That is all.

Oh, and that pink PSP GO with the Hannah Montana game, if you're in to that sort of thing.

19. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    If screen size is important, then the Zune HD is actually smaller than the Zune 80 or 120. PSP devices and something like an iPod Touch have pretty nice displays but a PSP device isn't a dedicated media player and the iPod touch is a bit pricey. If you just need a cheap multimedia player that does video and audio, you might look into the Creative Zen line with something like this:

Creative ZEN X-Fi Wireless MP3 Player - Experience X-Fi Sound in Creative ZEN Music Player

20. nsr46gamer

hm... it might have crossed my mind......