PSP-Go (New hardware revision...again)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Omega Supreme-1, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    New PSP Named And Coming This Fall: News from 1UP.com
    Rumors of a major PSP hardware redesign have repeatedly bubbled to the surface over the last several months -- some claiming the removal of the system's UMD disc drive, and others pointing to a second analog stick and sliding screen. According to sources directly involved with the new system, we have learned that Sony will quell those rumors by unveiling their revamped PSP at this year's E3 conference in June.

Many have speculated that the update would be called either the PSP 2 or PSP-4000, but our sources claim Sony will forgo a numerical moniker in favor of a subtitle. We've heard various rumored code names for the project (including PSP Slide, PSP Flip, and PSP Go!), but given that Sony has introduced the Go! brand of add-ons (the Go!View video on-demand service and 1.3 megapixel Go!Cam) for the European PSP, it seems likely that the new system will in fact be called the PSP Go! Our sources further confirm that this redesign will be available in two SKUs, with either eight or 16 GB of built-in flash memory. The system is set for release in Japan this September with a U.S. debut coming in either late October or early November.

In addition, since the UMD is going away, Sony will have over 100 classic and new PSP titles available for download at launch (Gran Turismo Mobile is said to be one of the premier launch titles). As for the hardware itself, the redesign will include a d-pad, analog nub, and face buttons as part of a sliding unit sticking out below the screen (as seen in our mockup above). Unfortunately for those looking for twin-stick shooter controls, the new system will not have a second analog stick, but instead will remain consistent with the current control configuration.

When asked about any of these details, Sony, of course, stated that it "does not comment on rumors or speculation."

As a bit of actual speculation, we wouldn't be surprised to see Sony borrow many design features from their Mylo 2 handheld Internet device, which is seemingly dead in the water. This could provide an 800x480 pixel touch screen for the system, as well as a camera on the system's backside.

Between the redesign and a strong lineup of recently announced PSP titles (see: Tekken 6 and Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny), Sony is clearly attempting to assert their relevance in the wake of the DSi's release and success of the iPhone as a gaming platform. It'll be interesting to see what sort of a splash Sony makes and the reaction the new hardware receives when it debuts at E3, which is only a month away. Preloading every PSP Go! with a copy of LittleBigPlanet would certainly make some waves.

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

8/16gb of flash memory....but how much can you actually use yourself. the PSP flash memory was used for update/user info only (unless hacked)

UMD-less = no BC. Where does that leave the PSPers...i know, screwed...Will they go to memory cards or will this be dl only style.

flip/slide design....dont like it, the mock-up makes it look like it'll be top heavy...plus it still doesn't protect the screen when not in use.

people flipped when Nintendo removed the GBA slot in the DSi...i see removing the UMD will cause even more.
    GBA slot = older system...used for BC and some DS add-on
    UMD = current system...basically how everything came on.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I'm gonna stick with my PSP I got like 2 years ago. All these new variations of handhelds is giving me a headache, the fact people actually buy them all is the surprising part though.

4. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

one thing i was to know...will this be taking over or will this be in production along with the PSP.

5. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm pretty sure, judging from Capcom's Captivate 09, that PSP-3000 will be discontinued. UMDs are definitely being discontinued as well judging from the UMD-less new PSP.

6. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    so im guessing this is gonna completely kill the old psp's?

7. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    making them sought after collectables with a unique medium of playing games...give it 10 years you will be able to flog them on ebay for like $40 :D 

8. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

9. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Removing a media slot and adding a camera and download service. Hrm....sounds familiar. Could it be...? NAH!

10. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Really?

Really?

You're going to go there? Seriously? Because if you do, then you have absoloutely zero clue on, well, pretty much anything to do with the games industry and as such should probably refrain from further comment regarding the matter.

Or were you not aware of the PSP store that's been running, oh what? At least six months? Or the fact you have been able to buy PSP games digitally for even longer on your PS3 or PC to transfer?

Oh, you were just trolling, ok!

11. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

^to be fair he did mention removing a media slot and adding a camera

Is the UMD slot being removed, or is sony simply seeking to stop producing new UMD disks in favor of DLC for all future titles. I ask because 1 of these options makes A LOT more sense than the other

12. McBradders

If this PSP is digital only then they will eventually phase out UMD's, probably over the next year to 18 months before moving to a purely digital model. The PSP is so easily hacked that digital distribution is the only solid way to ensure people actually pay for what they play.

All the signs have been pointing toward this model regardless of potential new PSP revisions for quite some time.

And "to be fair" the R&D times on hardware far exceeds the "OMG ME TOO" kneejerk reaction that's being bandied about. This has been in the pipeline for a long time.

13. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I will just stick with my current PSP until they release one with another analog stick. I don't own any UMD movies and only 2 UMD games so the switch is fine with me.

14. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

God I just bought a PSP 3000 last week. As long as they release Dissidia for PSP before the switch I will be happy.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not to mention that the PSP has allowed for music playback from the memory stick and video playback since the day it came out, and those features are a mere afterthought, not a "NEW AND REASON ALONE WHY YOU SHOULD GET A DSI!" Oh and you didn't have to buy an internet browser for the PSP, something that a system with a stylus should have come with by simple nature.

Ok so here is my only wish, and I know it's virtually impossible. I would like Sony to come up with a way/device/method for me to rip, or download free, games that I can prove I own. If I am going to migrate to this new system, I want to be able to NOT have to rebuy the games i already own. I simply won't do it, but it would be nice if I could send a proof of my purchase (something I no longer have) and receive a voucher for a digital copy. And when new games are released, they should come out in UMD and digital (like some of them do now) to allow for a slow and considerate migration to take place.

16. McBradders

I'm sure migration is something they've considered heavily.

As a further thought, I'm pretty convinced that the PSP GO!, or whatever it's being called, is an iPhone reaction and not a DSi reaction. DS and DSi have their sector of the market locked in, the iPhone is eating in to Sony's target demographic far harder than the DS.

17. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    New PSP users will be able to buy the old games through the download store.

Old PSP users will be able to buy the new games through the download store.

Not sure why anyone is up in arms about about the lack of a UMD, unless you really likes getting used games or clearance games, in which case now is the time for a PSP, because the used market is going to be flooded!

And just to pull the Nintendo card... the DS lite I bought for my girlfriend 5 months ago cannot play any new DSi games since it lacks the download store.

In spite of recent history, Sony is quite a bit more backward compatible friendly than nintendo in the latest hardware revision.

18. simplygriff

simplygriff ยต - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    Looking at the mockup, I sure hope there are shoulder buttons hidden on the back somewhere. Hitting those up at the top of the screen as it looks now would be so uncomfortable.
    -G

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know, hehehe, I'm one of the culprits with my Iphone App Whore status. I still enjoy my PSP more as far as gaming though. I like Touch controls, but I need the resistance of a physical controller for precision. Also, and of most importance, the stability of Iphone games drives me insane. I have gone through a hard-as-hell level in Galaxy on Fire for the Iphone 4 times and everytime I beat the level the Phone crashes. Too many tower defence and broken games get put on the store. Lastly, no matter how much people claim otherwise, the PSP is capable of much better graphics, and framerate. A game like Hero of Sparda looks awesome, but throw 3-4 enemies on the screen and the game is almost unplayable, while God of War PSP still blows my mind at how close to the PS2 version it is. So my Iphone is awesome to have around because it's already my phone, but when I'm out of town I play my PSP a LOT more.

I'll probably do my usual and buy the PSP-Go, because I'm a gaming whore, but I hope they have plans for those of us who have a huge PSP library, because I want to migrate my games and saves to the new system.

20. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I don't get all the uproar. It's not like the old PSP's are going to become useless. You can get a Sony 16gig memory stick for around $60 if you look for it. The PSN store has a lot of stuff on there and some of it is priced even cheaper than a used copy of the game., although some things like Loco Roco are a few dollars over UMD retail. To me, most of the bitching is the fact that this will make it a little bit harder to get ahold of the games illegally, which I'm all for.

I'll most likley get one eventually, I've been playing my PSP heavily and replacing scratched or broken bits on it (the UMD door ring and the battery cover specifically). Without the UMD drive this thing should be decently thin, something I would carry around with me much more.

Also, it seems @1up jumped the gun. Apparently they were talking about it on the podcast and it later got edited out after being posted. Since it was already out there they put up that story. Seems like they've already seen it and this was a big oops to me. Sony probably isn't very happy.