PSP gets 3.10 firmware update, downloadable game demo

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OmegaScourge, Feb 1, 2007.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

hmm, so anyone know if this'll screw ithe homebrew scene up.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    No. It won't.

3.10 was actually released a day or two ago, and it was already decrypted. a downgrader for it will be on the way soon, I figure.

3. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll download it. Homebrew means nothing to me.

4. Emerald Twilight

Emerald Twilight Banned

I hope it cuts the homebrew scene. People need to cut that crap out. I pay for all my games because I believe in the gaming industry. So should you or you don't deserve to have games. Keep it up, and you won't.

5. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Umm, excuse me but homebrew isn't just strealing games. I have hombrew apps that allow me to stream video and also radio from the internet to my PsP. That has zero to do with piracy. It is allowing me to do more with my invenstment than Sony is doing. Don't lump all homebrew users in with Pirates, it's BS.

6. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I think your bridge needs tending son....

7. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Firmware update = coolage.

Game demo downloads = BAD FREAKIN' ASS! I like to try before I buy, and downloadable demos have already sold me on a couple of games I would have never picked up had I not had the shot at a free demo first. Thank you Sony.

Now, if we could just have a little chat about that pesky "can't play videos encoded at full resolution" problem, I'd be 100% satisfied with my PSP.

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Tending? I'm pretty sure it burnt down long ago.

Wait...E.T. got banned? I can't thank the mods enough for that.

On topic, I just sent in my broken PSP that was under warranty. I HOPE that they don't send me one with the latest firmware, but I'm betting they will. I'll do whatever I have to to get my emulators back on there, I REALLY want to play some Vagrant Story on it. I haven't looked into it yet, but I'm sure Sony doesn't allow or want people to make copies of their own PS1 games for play on their official PS1 emulator. Screw that.

Yes, I own the original, and if you have a problem with me playing it on my PSP instead of a PS1, I don't really care.

9. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

The Killzone demos been up for more than a week. I downloaded it back then and it won't run so I tried again after updating to 3.10 and it still won't run. Just starts up like the game is starting then back to the memory card game screen.

10. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with this. Does anyone really have a problem with this?

It's very sad that society has reached a point where we are convinced that we have to buy the same music, games, movies in different formats. But anyhow...

11. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

my thinking for gaming is like this....just like music, if i own the original, i'll do whatever i want with it...if i own the NES version and it comes out on the PSP (with no changes) then i'll play on the PSP as a homebrew (why pay $50 for a game that came out bunch of years ago that was cheaper then)

topic-wise: Demos are cool but places i go to don't even update the download stations...our Target has the 360 download station but there's nothing to d/l.

Save battery when surfing the web...i wonder how much battery time it actually took off.

12. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

When we're talking about music, movie and game (etc) piracy, I'm totally with you.

You're right on the money.

13. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Nope. I've got no problem with it. However, if the corporations have their way, even this will be illegal soon. Which is sad. But it goes hand-in-hand with the movie industry and their absolutely retarded DVD encryption and region coding. And the current laws that make breaking any encryption for any purpose illegal. Because, you know, there's no legal reason a person would want to rip a DVD and put it on a portable media device. No, huh, you must be pirating it!

Back to the story at hand, I'm gonna have to update tonight and try some demos. I'm not a homebrewer simply because I don't have the time to go through the type of things I used to with my software and hardware, so new firmware versions are kinda cool for me. I use the web browser on my PSP quite a bit on the couch while the TV is on, so any updates to that are nice. And I hope I can get that Killzone demo to work on my PSP. I've really wanted to try that game out. I haven't checked the demo download sites in a couple weeks, so I missed the updates when they actually happened.

14. evrdazed

evrdazed Well-Known Member

yeah, i have a whole bunch of GBA games that I want to still play, but don't want to carry both the PSP and GBA around, so emulators is the logical choice. I still haven't done that yet, but one day I will. I just hope Sony puts out better games for the PSP instead of down-cycling games from the PS2, then I'll buy more games, so they can make more games.

15. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I upgrade occasionally, like if a game I bought requires it. I have used emulators and still pay for good games that are made for the system. I have given Sony plenty of my money so I don't feel quilty about playing some old school Ninja Gaiden or Gargoyle's Quest since I don't use homebrew to play stolen PSP games. As for killing homebrew, so far these guys have found away to make it possible when people thought it was dead, many times over.

16. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So yeah, I got my PSP back with a 3.01 firmware on it. I found a way to downgrade to 1.50 (you can downgrade any PSP from 3.03 down now), and then used a custom firmware to get it back up to 3.03 - all of the features, none of the security crap. There's a new custom firmware that will take it up to 3.10, if you desire.

This custom firmware allows you to play your own PS1 games! It even comes with tools to make them from your old PS1 disks (but you're gonna have to find a couple more tools to do it right). Last night I finally played Vagrant Story on my PSP, exactly what I've wanted to do since I got it. It looks, sounds, and plays perfectly.

My PSP has a whole new library of games now, and I couldn't be happier! I'm playing what I want, and there's ZERO theft involved.

I'm playing games I've bought from a company on a machine I've bought from the same company - that's how it should be.

17. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

I have to say im anti-piracy as well, and i never thought of it like that. I will now however :)