PSN and Qore

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by kronos, Jun 6, 2008.

1. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    Anyone planning on getting the Qore Service off of the PSN store today? I will get the initial issue and then if its cool, I will get the subscription. Here is the link for those that dont know what it is:

Qore Information

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

It sounds interesting, but I'm not paying for it.

3. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope. Id rather not pay for advertisements and demos.

4. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    OK, well here is a brief review since I suck at this sort of thing.

Presentation:

Very well done. Its super easy to navigate and makes finding whats available a pleasure. The colors used mesh well and make for a visually appealing presentation. 5/5

Content:

The videos are all in HD and provide some great info. Their were no demos but the download section did include 3 options. A SOCOM Beta invite, a SOCOM PS3 theme, and a free download of calling all cars from the store. Here is the part that pisses me off. The calling all cars link is dead for issue subscribers and live for year subscribers. This is f'd up big time. If you buy an issue you should have FULL access to ALL its content. Its supposed to be an optional premium service that when paid for gets you perks. You shouldn't have to jump thru any hoops after initial purchase. For this alone I may not purchase any further issues. Just seems inappropriate. 3/5

Value:

This is the kicker. If not for the limitations above, I would say this is a great value. I mean it truly is an interactive magazine. And the content it provides is both informative and worth the price of admission alone. The SOCOM Beta is a great feature as well. and as soon as its live I will be all over it! Its just that stickler of the Calling all cars game. I don't care if the game totally sucks. If its included in Qore, include it for everyone. 4/5

Final Verdict

Now I may be just petty about this, but its just my opinion. The content overall is awesome and well worth the price. I know I said I wouldn't get another, but I may just do that anyway. It was worth the $3. I will do it again and if Its as rich in content as this one, I will continue. I mean hell, I wouldn't have to subscribe to another magazine. and I am saving some trees by going this route. get it just for the SOCOM Beta alone. 4/5

5. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    The concept reminds me of the demos discs from OPM magazine for PS2 back in the day. I may check one out.

I thought it was stated before that the Calling all Cars demo was just free for year subscribers.

6. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I heart Veronica Belmont but (even if I had a PS3) I would pass on paying for this. I just hope she keeps doing Tekzilla too. I’ll be bummed if she left.

7. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I'm with Deefuzz. I'm not paying Sony for the right to market to me.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't mind. I already do it for Live every month, only it's 7.99. It's actually not bad, though I look forward to more downloads, and possible entries into Betas.

9. ease

ease HIPHOPTIMUS PRIME

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice! Loved playing the Metal Gear Solid 4 beta,the Socom beta sounds tempting!

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the socom beta thing for qore lets you join the beta 2 weeks LATE.

11. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:

true! BUT, I am someone that has never played a SOCOM game. SO this is better than preordering the game. At least for me it is.

12. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I would like to get into the Socom beta I don't know if I could do a year. Hoping for a demo of SC IV and LBP.

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Does the Confirm Purchase button say "YES! I am a complete sucker"?

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope because I really don't care too much about the Betas. The videos and extras on Forced Unleashed and Clank were nice. And like I said, I'm already doing it for Live, every month, though it's 7.99, and that's on top of the added cash I spend to change my profile name to WindchargerTFW and change my theme to Transformers and extras that I would otherwise get free. Live has the same little monthly/weekly online magazine that has interviews and stuff, only it's pretty dull, and I still pay 7.99 a month for it. If I'm giving MS 8 bucks a month to be online with my 360, I don't mind giving Sony 3 bucks for some cool info on games that I am looking forward too, so long as it's exclusive and relating to games I care about. Which is why I won't subscribe. FPS are WAY too popular now and I don't want 10 months of FPS coverage and the remaining two months to be about original games.

I used to buy magazines for more than that, and so if the info inside is of interest to me, I don't mind the 3 bucks that I would have wasted on something else. I don't see myself subscribing though.

15. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Windcharger, while I agree with everything you said and I do subscribe to the playstation magazine. I want more for my money like reviews, eye toy exclusive games, exclusive content for games like new cars, player skins, maybe something to display in my HOME apartment. I will wait and see where sony goes with this but right now while I do not think it is expensive it is a waste.

16. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm not hating on people that get this. I can understand it, although I probably will never get it. I just don't understand why they didn't do the first issue for free so that people can test the waters at no cost.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I agree with you on that Primus. They should have given us a taste first. With absolutely no sampling of what was inside, it could have been 3 wasted bucks for me (Like I wasted 10 bucks on Novastrike in retrospect).

Speaking of which, Sony really needs to put out more demos for their online only games. While I was pretty sure I'd enjoy Commando, I was up in the air about Novastrike. I ended up like it alright, but in retrospect it wasn't worth 10 bucks, and had I a demo, I would have realized that.

18. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

You're paying Sony to market to you. You don't see that as... weird?

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But I'm already doing it with MS. The entire Live interface is a giant Ad, which was my original complaint for it. And if I want to play games with my friends on there, I have no choice. I didn't even know what was a selectable link or an ad for something. At least here I'm given the choice to be marketed to :) 

This month covered three games that was looking forward to, Force Unleashed, Clank, and Soul Cali. All of the coverage was great (in Star Wars case Very cool and definitely worth it). And one game that I didn't even know was coming Afro Samurai. I honestly don't care too much about Socom, so that beta wasn't a factor for me.

I didn't feel like I was being marketed to any more or less then when I go to IGN and see ads everywhere by companies who paid for those interruptions between pages (And I paid for IGN for year, and I still got the ads). This is info and video to games that I want to know more about.

Sony has to make it a hellovalot more interesting a month for me to pay again. But so long as it's good visual information on game I care about, I will skip eating Wendy's one day for it. I have paid more for less..... Like Novastrike....and an autographed photo of Smangerbot

20. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Isn't that what you're doing when you buy a regular magazine though? Those are brimming with ads.