Pseudo Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Galvatron397, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Galvatron397

Galvatron397 Official TFW Omni-Geek

Before I begin this wall-o-text-o-mine, I would like to point out that I came along in the time of Beast Wars and was currently not living during the time of G1.

In G1 there were these figures called "action masters." These figures did not transform, instead they were more articulated and looked more like their saturday cartoon counterparts. They did however come packaged with a Vehicle or some accoutrament that suited their character in some way or another. Although they didn't transform they were widly accepted it seems to me which is why I pose an over-extended question.

Why? Why were these 'non-transforming Transformers' accepted? I'll tell you why. They were damn cool that's why. This being one of the most revolutionary and in my opinion controversial decisions by Takara and Hasbro these were still accepted,rediculous backstory and all, into the Transformers universe nontheless.

Now many new Transformers have been released since then and almost all of the ideas from back then have been recycled one way or another, be it triple changing, combining, unlockable features or attacks modes, every feature from G1 has been re-used! Except one. No transformations in order to preserve image and articulation. Now I'm well aware that Mega Scf figures were similar to this concept, however they were not availible at mass market and not availible at all in the US.

Now another thing, one of the key factors in the Transformer's success was in fact the ratcheting joints. These make for sturdy figures and great poseability. But there is one downside to these. The joints are damn loud! One thing the Marvel legends are currently doing is using a softer brand of plastic and this quiets those joints while still keeping their design.

Here is my point. My idea, my vision. Non-transforming Transformer figures based on their G1 designs made with softer plastic and ratcheting joints that come with smaller vehicle versions of themselves made of Die-cast at a 15 dollar pricepoint. Sort of a greatest hits. All that the Tranformers are, just not the whole "transforming" bit. Would you buy it? I would. Thanks for any time you devoted to reading this. :wink: 

2. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I'd buy for sure. I love my Action Masters. And TF fans who dismissed them were just too damn stubborn (like the Titaniums are better with their non-moving, poorly painted pieces of partly die cast but mostly plastic?). TFs as actual action figures that were fun and posable with endless play value -- just freaking brilliant.

3. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I love my Mega SCFs to death so, yeah, I'd buy that type of thing again.

4. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Galv397:

I'd rather have transforming versions of the characters originally introduced as Actionmasters, such as Payload, Skyfall, Rad, Axer, Mainframe, and Jackpot, with
    mini-con versions of their droid sidekicks. That would be neat.

5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

i liked the action masters

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    No desire to own statues, articulated or otherwise.

7. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I liked Action Masters... give me highly articulated/cartoon accurate bots that don't transform any day

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    QFT. I passed on them back in the day, I'd pass on them now.

9. Galvatron397

Well I'm glad that the response to this has been for the most part positive. I also had another idea, you know how Hasbro aquired the marvel license? Marvel legends has created an innovation called build-a-figures. This is where each figure in a set series comes packaged with a part of a larger figure, thus, giving collectors incentive to purchase all of them. Wouldn't it be cool if G1 Prime, Rodimus, Ultra Magnus, Megatron, Soundwave and Starscream each came with a part to form say Unicron? Or Metroplex, or even Fort Max?

10. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hasbro has already started to think like this. The TransMutate figure in the BW10 boxes is an example. The Max/Pred Ships and Unicron head, Alpha Q, and Kicker are more examples of non transforming stuff that theyve recently done.

11. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    No desire to buy Action Masters, or any redeux of the line now. I'm sorry but I do not want a TF with a separate vehicle that's cooler than the main figure is. If I wanted that, I'd still be collecting M.A.S.K.

Regarding more show-accurate toys, here's an idea, Hasbro: Make the character in the show actually look like the toy you put on the shelf. I think the classics line is a wonderful first step, along with 20th Anniv. Op.

They also did it for the last two series in HOC. But I think it would be even better if the build-a-figure was a combiner that we haven't seen in a while, like the original Menasor or Defensor. Or even *shudder* Monstructor?

12. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The big problem with Action Masters is that it replaced the main toy line in the US. It was precicesly what got me out of liking TransFormers as a kid (I never actually stopped liking them, I just didn't like what was available) and I think it probably was among many contributing factors in the death of the TF line in the United States. Neo Action Masters would be fine as a minor line on the side. As the main TF toy line, it's a very bad idea.

13. Galvatron397

Oh of course! This would never replace the main line. This would be something like the titaniums are now, just a sidebar of sorts. I would treat it sort of like marvel selects. A new figure every month to keep collectors intersted in the series while conserving shelf space at the same time.

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I don't mind Action Masters as a concept, though to my mind, the ideal way of doing one would be as an accompanyment to something else. Either a giftset of a group of them (pricey though) or a subline. Perhaps as a successor or expansion of the larger Titaniums we could get larger, more poseable TFs who don't transform in those same giftboxes. I think though that'd be tough to pull off since it sold so poorly the first time around.

15. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A nicely posable figure + metal altmode would be quite cool, IMO. But it also strikes me as something more likely to be done by a lower-key company like Kaiyodo or Max Factory.

16. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

I don't have any Actionmaster, but I think the nice detail these figures have that regular Transformers didn't, or the articulation, made them loved by so many people.

17. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Word.

18. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Concur! Great Idea!

19. snkeyes069

snkeyes069 Legend in his own mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If Actionmasters were created again, I think they should hire the color guys from the Universe line AND the original Marvel Comic. Hey, if you're gonna screw the line up, why not completely screw it up.

The only good thing about Actionmasters is their place in TF history (making them collectable as a curiosity). To revisit the idea would be a horrible mistake IMHO.

The 3" Titaniums are a similar curiosity, but since they are in the same line as Star Wars and Battlestar I don't feel as bad collecting them. They are curiosities like TF napkins, TF shoes and TF lunchboxes...not mainline toys like the Actionmasters were alleged to be.

20. Neomarsala

Neomarsala Transform and Roll Out

I would probably be happy to buy an action master Megs that was the same size as MP Optimus Prime. As long as he had enough detail, and articulation to make up for not transforming and the price is, of course, reasonable.