PSA: New toy plastic condition discovered (abandon all hope)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nevermore, May 2, 2017.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Short description: The plasticizer contained in some toys' rubbery plastics apparently contains acids that eat through the solid plastic parts connected to the rubbery bits after a few years, leaving behind sticky goo. Known victims are ROTF Voyagers Bludgeon and Demolishor, apparently.
    Allspark thread

• Like Like x 8
  2. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Undersea Warrior

News Credits:
    Wait wait. The soft rubber is melting the *hard plastic*?

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Apparently so.

4. Sarge133

Sarge133 Grimlock Nut

Ebay:
    I'm curious if anyone here has that issue. I sold my bludgeon years ago, and I do not have any of the other named transformers.

5. einhazard

einhazard Sentient Tapedeck

[​IMG]

I really hope the next GPS-esque thing is exploding screws in Rescue Bots. Not like, injury-level, but like 'great amounts of surprise' level

I'll have to haul both of mine out and check. That Bludgeon is cool, c'est la vie.

• Like Like x 9
  6. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Any confirmations of this happening on Bludgeon's mold mates? Banzaitron, Megatron, Cloud Megatron, Botcon Gigatron?

7. Daimao

Daimao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    CRAP. I'm checking my Bludgeon as soon as I get home from work!

8. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Ill check my ROTF Bludgeon later too. But I do wonder if this something to also watch out for on the CW Leader Megatrons.

9. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I'll dig mine out if this seems widespread, but all those figures are packed away right now unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have two RotF Bludgeons, so I took a look at them and nope, no melting or degradation of any kind, anywhere. Both look as they had when I pulled them out of the box. I can take a look at the other figures, but my Bludgeons are fine.

If it's relevant to anything, I like in SoCal (the Inland Empire, where it can be a bit warmer/cooler than LA depending on the season) and no figures of mine are in direct sunlight.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

I have this guy. Where should I look for damage?
    Possibly. I made my kid a big playset of the Autobot base from TFP for his birthday last year and the rock surface is clear coated in matte acrylic. He left his CW Megatron that he got a month later sitting on the top of it and his rubbery tank treads melted to the clear coat a little. I was really shocked when it happened because the base had been done for so long, and none of the other toys he played with on it had this problem. Now it kinda makes sense if this is an issue with the chemical composition of the rubber they're using.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  12. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    Seems to be only two incidents so far, which makes me wonder if there are other factors involved.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz hey

News Credits:
    My GDO Megatron is fine.

14. Blot

Blot Terrorcon

News Credits:
    My Bludgeon and Demolishor are fine in that regard. However, a few years ago I had to put a bunch of figures in a storage bin for a couple months and Bludgeon's tread got stuck somehow to Sidearm Sideswipe's red paint. I had to peel them apart and little of the red paint stayed on the tread.

15. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I don't have any of the figures listed but I sent this thread to a few fellow collectors I know.

16. Roger Semerad

Roger Semerad TFW2005 Supporter

Damn it, I really wanted this to be an isolated incident but I can confirm it happened to my RotF Bludgeon. It's been stored in it's original packaging in a climate controlled closet for about the last 18 months, so it's not environmental factor. It's not too bad so far, but if it's a sign of things to come this mould might be doomed. It was in tank mode and the parts most heavily affected are on the upper legs, moulded to look like wheels below the hip joint. The black and green parts that look like wheels right on the shoulder joint is also affected, but not as badly. Both parts are in direct contact with the treads in alt-mode. It looks melted, like the treads were slowly pushed into the plastic and a little of the plastic has lumped up at the edges. There is no residue on mine, but the affected parts are a little soft and tacky to the touch. I tried flexing the treads a little around the area it's connected to on the shoulders to see if there was any problem there, but I couldn't really see anything. Really disappointed to pull out one of my favorite toys and see that this happened. If I remove them he'll never look right, if I leave them this could get worse. lose lose, but I might just have to remove them and save what I got.

17. JoshFinn

JoshFinn Getting real sick of your shit starscream

pics people need too see this with my own eye holes

Edit:just checked my banzaitron and it is true... pretty cool science is real

The rubbery tracks also had bits of yellow and blue stuck too it

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  18. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wonder if it was batch-specific? I have two Bludgeon's, both bought from retail, and a GDO Megatron, bought second-hand. None show any kind of degredation to the hard plastic areas contacting the rubber bits.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Roger Semerad

Roger Semerad TFW2005 Supporter

yeah, this isn't getting any better. I decided to open up the shoulder guards to remove the treads since that area just had screws, the ones on the legs I'll need to get a pin punch for. Opened it up and started to gently pull the treads off and the peg they're connected to shears off with it. The whole area actually looks fine, it didn't look melted like the legs, but the feel test revealed the same soft tacky sensation. So the visable part of this is probably due to the weight of the toy pushing into soft parts. If it's in robot mode it probably wouldn't be apparent. The chemical reaction is deffinately happening to parts the treads are in direct contact with though, visable or not. I'd recommend getting these things off as quickly as possible. Now I have to look up how to remove a stripped screw because whoever put my left shoulder on at the factory left literally nothing on one of them.

20. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom Galvatron (G1)

get a rubber band, and push it over the screw hole, and push your screw driver down and turn

• Like Like x 2