PS3 will be $299 in April, analyst predicts

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by TheIncredibleHulk, Jan 16, 2009.

1. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

PS3 will be $299 in April, analyst predicts - Video Game Feature - Yahoo! Video Games

If this does happen, maybe I can actually afford to get one. I've been dying to play LBP and MGS4

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Doesn't matter to me unless they put backwards compatibility in again.

Until then I'm lubing myself up in preparation of getting violated against my will trying to obtain the 60 gb model.

3. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

yeah,just why the hell did they get rid of backwards compatibility in the first place? the earlier versions had it so what happened? seriously a dumb move there and a huge inconvenience for guys like me who still play ps2 games. btw,why not lower the price now for crying out loud!

4. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

the first few had the emotion engine making it possible to play PS2 games...then the next ones were through emulation....then they took it out completely.

as for why...most likely to get the price lower.

5. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The original ones with hardware emulation costed more to make than the ones that did it via software after they revised it. Then I would imagine they scrapped it entirely simply to save development costs(just because it was already there, doesn't mean they don't have to test it every firmware update, fix more bugs, make sure it works through hardware revisions, etc). They've already got the retail price down $200 with a hdd 20GB larger than the $600 launch system.

And in all honesty, I don't get why anyone cares about backwards compatibility on the ps3 considering if you really want to play ps2 games that bad(and face it, the number of people who play older games on newer consoles for the ps3 or 360 is pretty damn low), they can go buy a new ps2 for 80 bucks that doesn't require any additional development at all on the part of Sony.

I actually work for a tech company in development, and we've done similar things with pulling hardly used features from products in revisions to drop man-hours required to make sure it still works, Sony isn't the only company that does it.

6. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    I wouldn't call backwards compatibility a hardly used feature. Every gamer I know uses it and considers it when purchasing their systems. It was a stupid move by Sony and one that has caused me to overlook the PS3 almost entirely. Dude, the last thing I need is yet another huge and clunky system hogging up room on my gaming shelf.

NES, SNES, Wii, Jaguar, Genesis, X-box, PS2, N64; that rounds out my gaming shelf currently. I play them all regularly and the last thing I need is one more system to add.

7. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I do believe the secondary market has pretty clearly demonstrated how desirable backwards compatibility is. And just using a PS2 is not that same thing as it doesn't have a HDMI output and looks like total ass on new TVs.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    eh. Pachter rarely predicts anything accurately. honestly dont why news sites keep listening to him.

They SHOULD drop the price down. but it scares me to think of what they might gut from the system next to achieve that.

9. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i got a BC PS3....

my PS2 cant play half my games no more and i have a lot of PS2 games that i still play (on the PS3 now)

some games are already out on PSN, but i see the point in buying it again if i still can play it through other means...plus im more of a hardcopy kind of guy instead of a d/l and hope you can get it again guy,

10. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Yeah, I have no interest in the PS3 without backwards compatibility. I look at it as an upgrade, just like when I traded up from the Playstation 1 to the Playstation 2. Even though I can explore the wonderful world of next gen games, I still like to play the previous gen's that I already own.

So if I can get all of that in one new machine, rather than having to own two, I'll take it.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. I still plat PS2 games A LOT, and there are still PS2 games coming out worth buying "Persona 4", so Backwards is very important. All PS3s support PS1, but I don't really play those as much anymore, so they should have gotten rid of that, or just left that for PSP