PS3 update to block hacking hardware

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ronin0510, Sep 8, 2010.

1. ronin0510

ronin0510 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    News article

Apparently there has been a dongle to hack the PS3 and allow pirated games to be played. This new update is to of course block them and any other hardware hacks from working.

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Not surprising. But with this revelation, that the PS3 Jailbreak is now out there, look for these types of updates to happen a lot. If you thought the lengthy system updates (which almost never add features) were annoying before, you're going to want to blow your system up now.

3. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Hell, every new update for the Wii now includes software to deactivate modifications. So its not surprising at all that PS3 will start doing this.

4. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Hrm? Never added features? I'm pretty sure the only recent one that did not add features was the one that removed Other-OS. Everything else has added, expanded, or boosted features.

I'm not really sure why I'd want to blow up my system either over all this. The update took maybe 3 minutes to DL and install. I'm all for security measures on the system, the last thing I want is for my already lamer-filled, turn-the-mic-off, console gaming experience to be further sullied by cheaters.

Hacked systems mean mod-able and cheat-able games. I'd prefer it to be a closed system rather than something PC like.

5. ---The RAt

---The RAt Well-Known Member

hmmm well being that I'm still working on beating red dead redemption. I'm not to worried about it. Although I really hate featureless updates. It harkens back to when they were so hardcore at fighting psp hacking. it seemed for a while they had a new update every week, ya know back when the world gave a crap about the psp

6. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I was never a fan of hacking/breaking major consoles. On smaller electronics like Iphones I can understand the need, they're arbitrarily designed to force you to use their specific software despite better stuff being available that should by all means not only run well, but run better then what you're forced to use.

But for a major gaming console, hacking it means two things 1) Pirated games and 2) Cheats and exploits. Both of which end up with devs taking it out on everyone in an attempt to curb the miss-use of the console. I like my online PS3 play to be cheat free. But where there's a will there's a way.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Japan is part of the world, and they are buying the little black guy through the roof for Monster Hunter, Phantasy Star and Kingdom Hearts.

The United States isn't the world. :D 

I don't mind the updates, but I do prefer when they have goodies. Like, I want my diskless Netflix.

8. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You must be looking at different set of firmware updates than everyone else. Here's a list of every firmware update dating back to December 1st of 2009 and what they added or removed.

3.42 - No features
    3.41 - Store reccomendations
    3.40 - Photo, Video editor, store rating
    3.30 - Trophy sorting, 3D
    3.21 - Remove Other OS
    3.15 - Transfer data from Fat PS3 to Slim PS3
    3.10 - Friends list sorted differently
    3.00 - Dynamic themes, What's new, Friends list sorted differently
    2.80 - No features
    2.76 - No features
    2.70 - Friends list sorted differently
    2.60 - Divx support
    2.53 - Browse internet in full screen

13 updates total. A total of 3 of those updates added anything of substance; 3.00, 3.30 and 3.40. The rest are minor updates that barely affect the systems at all.

9. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    But they do or correct something.

I stand by what I said. Updates are welcome, even when they only correct minor things or improve gameplay for different games.

I suppose I didn't remember all those small updates that got pushed out to the system because they took such a small insignificant part of my gaming time away that I could hardly notice.

I'm really not sure what point you're attempting to get across other than Sony is annoying by updating our systems. Two out of the 13 updates this year have done something to take away from the gaming/computing experience of owners. One of those is a black eye while the other is an understandble corporate maneuver.

The remaining 11 updates you listed in just this year only further support my point that we are getting a constantly improving experience with the system. To further push my point, for whatever reason, you're being needlessly negative. Update 3.10 you list as only sorting friend list differently... Well what about the integration of Facebook in that update?

Again, I stand by what I said.

10. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Complaints about the constant minor updates have dogged Sony since the release of the system. Not everyone has access to super fast net connections (myself included). So taking an hour out of my already limited game time to push through an update that does nothing to add to the experience is more than a bit annoying. Minor updates should really be rolled into some of the larger updates so they aren't so frequent and annoying.

My point is, now that the PS3 Jailbreak source code is public, Sony is going to be chasing that down with mandatory update after update that simply combats the PS3 hacking community. I don't condone the PS3 Jailbreak, but it's going to be a losing battle on Sony's part that people will be paying for with constant updates.

And Facebook...Eh, I missed it in the Firmware list. But Facebook was already accessible on the PS3 well before the icon was added. you're choosing to view it negatively, while I view it realistically. We're averaging over 1 system update per month, and that's going to increase. It's not a negative statement, just a statement.

Again, I stand by what I said.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I can understand for the anti Piracy but the cheating and external cheating devices have existed since the NES era. I maybe remembering wrong but i think Nintendo even sued Galoob over the Game Genie and lost.

as I understand it that Dongle was not so much a cheat device as it was a way to restore some stuff lost when the other OS option was removed so its a not a fair comparison to be honest.

at anyrate Sony is going to have to fight a long somewhat losing battle as I have little doubt in time a new jail break will be created to counter what Sony did to stop this one.

12. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

The Dongle was a full on debug access to the entirety of the PS3's systems. It's what the devs use to write the actual codes into the system, not a hack or anything like that, but the very access program they use themselves. It slipped out and started being sold publicly.

And while game cheats and such have always existed for offline games, in today's online gaming world, cheats and exploits are game breaking, game ruining experiences. No one like to play against that guy that can run through walls, kill with one shot, never run out of ammo and never get hurt themselves, but that's what happens when people break codes on online capable consoles and bring cheats into the game. If it was just offline issues, I personally wouldn't care, but as of now most games I play on PS3 have built in, or are completely dependent on online gameplay aspects. Dealing with lag-switchers and faulty connections is bad enough, the last thing we wanna see is out right cheating.

13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Ah okay I got you i can see why Sony got its panties in the bunch then but still I'll not be much surprised if a workaround ois found to allow it to work again.
    I completely agree for online games cheating ruins them, offline games hey it hurts no one and sometimes i think todays games depend too much on online play to sell them.

14. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

This.
    the only console I've ever modded was the wii, and that's because I got tired of all the shovelware. Having emulators on it was awesome.
    Aside from that I've just Cyanogenmodded my Droid because I got sick of waiting for 2.2 to come out for it.
    I can't really see why people would want to hack the PS3 aside from being able to play backups or cheat. It'd be pretty hard for third party apps to take advantage of the cell processor's architecture. Although it would be cool to finally have some MKV support.

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I just wish Sony would fix the wireless support for the PSP to allow it to use the WPA2 protocols. Can't use the thing online at all because of the lack of support there.

16. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

I guess I'm the only one, with no internet access at home, who downloads the update by memory stick and upload it later.

Have anyone downloaded the any post 3.21 update without installing 3.21?