PS3 to get DVR function, Digital Tuner in 2008

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Joe Moore, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Sounds interesting, but I want a PS3 for good games and so far Sony has failed to deliver on that.

It's like the Video Marketplace on the 360. It's nice to have, but not what you buy the system for.

3. Dangard Ace

Dangard Ace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bought the PS3 for games and BluRay and on the BluRay front, it's delivering. The game side...game content is currently just okay ROM, NG:S, Motorstorm and R6:V but when Lair, MGS, GT5 and Heavenly Sword come out....

4. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Cool.

And to the game complaint yet again. :rolleyes2  I don't remember any system launching with a full library of awesome titles, there are great games coming.

5. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

More features I wouldn't use. Great.

It's one thing to have exclusive and/or killer games coming out months after launch. That's typical.

It's totally different to have those same games coming out years after launch. That's not typical and it's a great way to kill a system.

*edit* Consumers are notoriously fickle. Patience is not normally a virtue. :) 

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:

I don't want to derail the thread.
    I think the DVR is a progressive feature and forward thinking of Sony to include it.
    However, I have Verizon FIOS and I can watch any recorded program on any box, I can also record TV shows on my computer. So, for me, this is a nice feature but not something I think is a must have item.

When the Playstation 1 first came out Sony had Battle Arena Toshinden, Ridge Racer and then I was quickly rewarded for my purchase with games like Resident Evil. With the Playstation 2 I got Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore and was then rewarded for getting a PS2 with Jak and Daxter and Devil May Cry and a ton of RPGs.

So far, the Playstation 3 has games that are available on other systems -for the most part, and their exclusives do not have the "wow factor" of exclusives for the 360 -just my opinion. So, I realize that there are good games coming but I need to feel I am buying a good GAME system and that Sony is going to focus on the games.

Features like this are great, but they need to be combined with games that compel me to buy the system.

Truth be told, I will probably end up getting one to play Blu-ray movies.
    I seriously see a dual format future as far as movies are concerned.

7. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

Sony did this before with the Japan only PSX(PS2 + DVR) and it was a failure I dont see how a PSX2 is gonna be a success...

8. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

even 2 or 3 must have titles within the first year or so would always be nice though.

9. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

well....Beta was a failure....and UMD is a failure...yet they still made another one (Blu-Ray)...and it looks as though there's actually a success (seeing BR is outselling HD DVD)

so why not here too...maybe it too will be a success...plus this aint a Japan only thing...

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I waited months (March from a November Launch) for Oblivion on 360, and after that it remained so dry from quality titles that I sold the system (only recently rebuying it for Mass Effect and Bioshock). 100+ first person shooters a system do not make (particularly if 70% of them are set in 1945).

At least in the case of PS3, there are enough great titles coming to PS2 to continue to play on the PS3. MS abandoned Xbox with the launch of the 360.

Resistance might not be so great (or motorstorm) that it will hold people over for this Fall, but I litterally had nothing on 360 until March (not even a AAA launch title), so I ended up playing Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy 12 on my PS2 while I waited for Oblivion. Then Gears of War came out in the Fall, an Awsome game, to be damn sure, but again... One game. The releases coming out this fall on PS3 may not all end up being God's answer to gamers, but at least they have variety (A game about Dragon Flying, a Comedic Adventure game *Ratchet*, A new twist one the GOW fighting game, A shooter, And with White Knight Story a Very good RPG. Halo 3 is all everyone is talking about on Xbox, completely ignoring the existance of Mass Effect and Bioshock. So after Mass Effect is completed, it may well be that I sell my 360 again.

As for WII, I played Zelda on GC, so I have abolutely no reason to buy one of those. Not one great game. Some decent fun to be had with the controller, but nothing that calls Nintendo to me, with the exception of Mario Galaxy and Metroid, all of which come out when? About the same time that PS3's good games start coming.

Don't get me wrong, I would like a flood of games to come out, but with the type of production value that's been going into games of this generation, it's not easy to pump titles out that can truly be called Next gen (what with more texture work and design), which is why a lot of Xbox360's launch titles looked like high-res Xbox titles (and still do in some cases)

edit: I take that back, Paper Mario looks great on WII, but then... That's one game... Resistance....Paper Mario....one and one. Oh but then there's Motorstorm.

Oh and Smasher, nothin but love for you.. You're my boy, but all the games you mentioned on PS1 and PS2 came out months (even years) after the system launched. Ps2 had a worst launch than PS3, with Dark Cloud being the only worth-while game on the system.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Windcharger, its neat to see your POV on the 360.

I have a 360 and I don't own a single First Person Shooter for it.
    They don't interest me.
    I will get Halo because I want to "Finish the fight!" and because I know everyone will play it. When Halo 2 came out it was commonplace to see 90% of my friends list online and playing that game.
    But the game I am really excited about is Mass Effect. It just looks incredible.

Back on topic: the Freeview service doesn't really look like it has an exciting line of programs for it. I hope Sony adds something to the service.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yes, I constantly drool everytime I see Mass Effect in action, not to mention that I trust Bioware with my life.

The point I'm making, and I guess it should be made in another thread, is that with all the systems, we now have a greater expectation for what games will look like (Gears of War, Mass Effect, and even Heavenly Sword being good examples), and the production value and time that will go into creating games like these will be far greater than we have had in the past. Before, you would take a photo of a rock, paint it up a bit, make it tileable and then add the texture to an entire region of a 3D environment. With games like Gears, with such insane detail, artists now have to make the environments look more random and less "tile-like". You can see the difference in games like Gear of War and that new Gundam game (which looks like a hi-res PS2 game).

My opinion of the 360 is a positive one, especially because as a gaming company, MS has made a "hehe 360" from their work on the Xbox. I'm just saying that rarely has there been a system (Maybe the Sega Genesis) where we have so many titles to play from the get-go that we don't know what to do with ourselves.

Anyway, back on track before we derail to hell. I'm excited about this DVR thing, but not too much. When I miss a show, I usually download a hi-res copy, convert it and watch it on the PS3, so aside from the extra time it takes, I don't see myself using the DVR feature immediately.

13. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Wonderful, so we're getting more features on an already overly packed system without focusing on what sold PS1 and PS2 so well, the games... Whoever's in charge of Playstation these days is on a downward spiral, there's an endless list of bad ideas and poor decisions being made for this system. If I wanted DVR, I'd have bought a DVR device a long time ago, I want good game support.

14. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A DVR?! WOW! That makes me want to go out and buy a PS3!

Oh wait, no it doesn't. I have a DVR already.

15. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Did I miss the part where Sony does *not* have good games coming out in Q4 of this year? Seems to me there is a pretty stacked lineup.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They do, it's just that people tend to focus on the negative because Sony was so huge last generation. Like people who continuously quote that the PSP only has ports of old games, when the Launch Title for the DS was Mario 64 (a 10 year old game) with 2 added characters, and the GBA didn't have a NEW real Zelda game until years after its release, pleasing us fans with a port of Link to the Past, and a bunch of ports of old mario games instead of releasing a new one.

17. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Well people like to ingnore, Lair, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk and Home(not a game but an awesome addition to the network) Not to mention the same push of holiday games coming out on both platforms GTA and such.

And In the next year we will see, GOW3, Drakes Fortune, MGS 4, Ratchet and Clank.

18. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    I can't wait for Stranglehold, GTA IV, MGS IV, DMC IV, RE V, and a bunch of other stuff that have Roman numerals in their titles :D 

Yeah, I know most of these are going to be multi-platform but I already have a ton of 360 games. My PS3 needs some lovin'!

19. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

Format wars and something like this are totally different.

20. the_riesen

the_riesen INDY COLTS SBXLI-Champs TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    should be interesting to see if you can use it to record the in-game action....