PS3 to be discontinued

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Eric, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

that is why i won't be buying any of those HD remasters on ps4 or xbox one. because I don't see them as anything more than just xbox and ps wanting to double dip on what people have already bought before. You know, instead of just developing full backwards support for their 7th gen console. which is why i think they don't have full backwards support.

because they want to sell it right back to you in an HD remaster. because people seem to eat that up.

now remasters of the ps2/xbox original games sounds like a much better idea. since those are games no longer on the shelves and the publishers/developers would get more money from those games that way. but for the most part, most ps3/360 games are STILL on the retail shelves.

• Like Like x 1
  2. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    i thought so too....huh...

mine is used for netflix....don't trust playing games on it....not since the ps allstars incident...

3. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Same with ps3 finally being able to emulate ps2. But instead of putting it into the system, they put ps2 games on psn, that use the emulation. I play my ps2 games via emulator on PC in full HD already. I even backed up my memory cards onto my pc so I can use the same savegames.

4. Dolza_Khyron

well to be fair to the ps3, if you buy the original ps3 model your ps3 can emulate those ps2 games. leaving it an option. and they were doing those HD remasters while most people still had their original ps3 models, so with that i can say, it kind of made more sense. for those who already bought the games they could just play it on their ps3 now. for those who didn't, or had the later model, they could buy the HD remasters. especially since a lot of them did come out on discs.

I do have the Ico/colossus remaster on ps3. because of all that i can accept those.

but with the ps4; they didn't even try to make it backwards compatible. no no, they are just like nintendo, they'd rather resell you your old games instead.

5. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I was just talking about the newer models that are technically able to do software emulation. With custom firmware that can be exploited to play any ps2 game. But I'm not modding my ps3 yet. Maybe in the future.

I bought the resident evil remake on ps3, because I played it on my brother's gamecube and that purchase was worth it. It's different enough. I also have the regular version on psx and the director's cut :) 

6. Dolza_Khyron

yea, but my point is, at least they attempted to do backwards compatibility. and they only removed it in order to cut the price of the console. At least it is still an option.

7. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Yeah, I got that. Just wanted to make it clear that later, when they were finally able to give us software emulation, they changed their mind and didn't include it into a system update, just like they didn't even include it in ps4 in first place. But ps4 is also weaker hardware than ps3. Would be a lot harder to pull of backwards compatibility to ps3. Architecture is too different as well. Only advantage the ps4 and xbone have to the previous generation is, that it's easier to port from pc, as the architecture is basically the same.

8. Dolza_Khyron

i have read that from Sony a lot, and i do not buy it. I suspect if sony really wanted to they easily could emulate the ps3 games. they just didn't want to. because they didn't want people buying the Last Of Us on PS3, and playing it on their ps4. they wanted people to buy the ps4 version.

9. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    You just have to compare the specs of the hardware. But we'll see, maybe someone will make their own emu for ps4. Probably. :D 

10. Dolza_Khyron

If my computer can run daggerfall after nothing more than a few patches, lol then a ps4 can play ps3 games with a few patches.

11. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Not going to happen guys, PS3 is the biggest trainwreck in console hardware architecture this side of the Saturn and the PS4 has bargain basement AMD CPUs from 4 years ago.

12. Dolza_Khyron

again, not buying any of it. heard all of this before. still not buying that it couldn't run ps3 games. if they really wanted it to, it could.

all they had to do was make a ps3 emulator for the ps4. they could have even charged for it. it'd be great DLC.

but they totally could have made the ps4 run ps3 games.

they just chose to resell them instead.

13. RabidYak

Believe what you want, but it doesn't mean its actually possible in the real world.

Emulation isn't magic. Processing requirements increase exponentially with complexity and accuracy, things which any PS3 emulator worth a shit is going to need in spades since its has an 8 core processor that had a low level coding requirement for full access. It isn't going to happen on a low voltage 1.6ghz AMD processor from 2012.

Even if it was possible at a technical level, I severely doubt that Sony has the software engineering resources to actually make it happen.

14. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

PS4 should still emulate the PS1.

15. RabidYak

It should, but I can only assume that Sony dosen't think it's worth the ROI to port their PS1 emulator to x86.

16. Dolza_Khyron

so you are not a bit concerned that they'd much rather resell the games to you, then make it backwards compatible? i mean, they have the entire playstation now service dedicated to just that.

but yea, okay i should just accept that it is impossible because sony said so.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RabidYak

Obviously its shitty that they want you to buy the same games over and over, but i'm not throwing a strop that the PS4 isn't back compatible because there wasn't any sensible options to actually make it happen. I'm not saying this because Sony said so, i'm saying it because its common sense if you have an idea of how this stuff actually works.

PS Now is literally a datacentre full of bespoke serverfied PS3s, which itself is a ridiculous and expensive idea that they wouldn't be doing if they actually had the ability to run PS3 software on something more sensible at a lower cost.

I do think its bullshit that they don't give you access to individual games on Now if you already have them, especially if you have an active PSN subscription.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  18. ByteBack

ByteBack Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The biggest issue with the PS3 is the insane memory bandwidth that the machine has, not to mention the break-neck speed of the SPU's. That's not something you can emulate easily without a massive hardware advantage.

The architecture for the machine was pretty straight forward though - it was nVidia that let the whole thing down. You could emulate the processor quite easily (which is exactly what IBM did with many of the development tools) but there's no easy way to get around the amount of data that thing can shift around.

19. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My PS3 gets used more than my PS4 in fact just upgraded the HD to a 1TB to fit my massive PS3 digital library. I had to open it up over the summer and add new cooling paste to the chips as it was locking up a lot. Works like a charm now, not planning on getting rid of my PS3 like I did for my PS2 solely because of all the digital media I have for it. 75% of the time it's used for Vudu.

20. RabidYak

Interesting stuff, so the dev kit CPU emulator did the whole Cell and not just the Power core? Sounds like an impressive piece of work, even with the benefit of having all the people and docs.

Did you develop for PS2 as well? If so, how did that system's wackiness compare in terms of development difficulty to the PS3?