PS3 to be discontinued

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Eric, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yea... i don't really count the pong era consoles as actual consoles, considering that they are mostly all just the same pong game. lol

• Like Like x 1
  2. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

One day there won't be consoles. Everything will be on the cloud, accessed via our mobile devices and played on any screen we link them to. Including our contact lenses.

Games will be incorporated into everyday life with augmented reality.

We will be able to visit people, explore the oceans, play simulated scenario games around the world in real time using augmented reality.

Mechanics and surgeons will wear cameras on their gloves and see up close what they are doing.

GPS navigation will appear in our contact lenses like we are playing Need For Speed.

And when our kids try to show is how to make it all work, we will get all cranky and say "Back in my day normal kids used to have to sit on the couch all day to play these damn games"

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  3. Dolza_Khyron

and that is the day i will stop supporting them. because that means one day all the games i buy might just disappear. any game on a cloud can be as easily deleted by the console manufacturers as it is uploaded. the ability to play my games long after the console has stopped productions, is a huge selling point to me. like you know, decades later.

• Like Like x 3
  4. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Haha see, already sounding old. My dad used to swear he would never get a cellphone. Well he finally did. He has a brand new S7 and he doesn't even know how to use google. He just makes calls on it and struggles with texting pictures haha. I totally understand though. I still buy CDs and DVDs. And I won't buy another xbox either because of the whole needing the cloud garbage.

5. Dolza_Khyron

you can call it what you want, but i am still not supporting it. as there are games i own on ps3 that are no longer available to download. some i have bought digitally. I honestly have no idea if i can download them again or not if i were to delete them.

pretty much why i only ever bought digital downloads on consoles once. I also don't like it on pc either though.

besides that, where i am at right now, I am having to use WIFI on my ps3/ps4/360. i'm not doing cloud gaming on wifi. and it'd cost me an roughly 100 dollars, (i've priced it.) to get it all hooked up with a land line.

so i'd much rather not. so cloud computing would cost me more too.

i'd much rather just have the disc. sure, discs scratch, and break, but all i have to do is go to a store and buy another one. that game is not GONE forever just because sony decided it wasn't worth keeping online.

6. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

I'm with you. I was just implying how it's a generational thing for the acceptance of new technology.
    I refuse to buy photoshop for the same reason. The cloud is stupid to me. Its great in theory but it's like dangling a carrot in front of a donkey

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dolza_Khyron

i'd be all for cloud if they'd allow me to backup my games, and not be required to redownload them every time. AND not rely entirely upon the goodwill of a corporation.

it is the same reason why i don't buy DLC unless the DLC is on the disc along with the game.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Ehh.. To be fair, there will always be hackers and emulators for the kind of things your worried about.

9. Dolza_Khyron

hackers and emulators don't give me back the games that no longer exists. especially for the lesser known games.

i mean it isn't like every game ever made has been emulated. i am sure there are some that have not, and will never be.

10. Dolza_Khyron

probably depends on how many people are still playing those figure games on their 7 gen consoles. i'd suspect it will probably be soon though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

You would be greatly surprised. I've found emulators for fricken tiger handheld LCD games after all.

12. Dolza_Khyron

that might be true, but would you not rather be playing on the actual platform?

13. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Some, but again... if you want to go that route... still have the hackers and emulator people taking care of it *various retro consoles that play roms as well*. Or Just old NES style controllers.

I'm not saying your wrong in the way your feeling about prefering physical, but I do think all you need to do is look into modern retro-consoles/emulation scenes to see that it is highly -highly- unlikely that games will just vanish.

Hell.. PS3 emulation just got a massive boost a week or so ago.

14. Dolza_Khyron

i fully understand that emulation exists. i've done emulation with sega/snes games. but it just can not replace the experience of playing the game on the actual console it was designed for. no matter how good your emulation is.
    it is why i bought a ps3 and a 360 while they were really cheap at walmart to begin with. because i want to be able to play games on those consoles that were designed for those consoles.

which is why i primarily play exclusives, or games i picked up really cheap at thrift stores.

• Like Like x 1
  15. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    It was fun while it lasted on my PS3 but I'll keep my games and it for as long as they can run. Live on PS3!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

I'm shocked that the PS3 was still being produced. The online support should continue for those that don't want to upgrade, but with the PS4 being out for so long, it's kind of like continuing to produce obsolete technology.

17. Dolza_Khyron

obsolete technology that does everything the ps4 does, but better. plus all those things it doesn't do.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    This. I have been boycotting things like Steam from day one. I already dropped PC gaming because of this.

19. Dolza_Khyron

I can still PC game, because Steam offers me the ability to backup most of my games. i have yet to find an actual way to do that on consoles.

the best i have found is i can on the ps4 do a move from one hard drive to another, on the ps3, i can do a complete backup of the entire hard drive, but it says i can only transfer it back to the same ps3, without having to buy a license again. my 360 doesn't let me do that at all with digital downloads. heck, it doesn't even let me use those digital downloads on more than one user. lol

but steam, at least with most games, I can back up the install files. so that is why i can support steam.

20. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    True. The only one's profiting from digital sales and cloud are the content providers, as their goal is, in the long run, to have us pay more than once for the same content. This is not something that has to do with getting old. In the end we're digital natives, we grew up with technology, we understand it like going by bike or walking on foot. And that's exactly the reason I will never use steam, Facebook and soon will get rid of syncing with Google but build my own cloud on my nas.