PS3 Setup

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Paladin, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So, over the Thanksgiving weekend I found a 20gig PS3 at one of the local used-game retailers. It was fairly cheap so I decided "what the hell" and picked it up.

Today was the first chance I had to actually set it up. Took everything out, put the plug into an empty socket, put in the same three-color cord setup I've been using on game systems for the last eleven years, power it up and what happens?

Absolutely nothing.

As far as I can tell the system powers up fine but nothings' being displayed on the TV screen.

AM I missing a step or could there be something wrong with this system???

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Once you turn the system on in the back, run your finger over the power or eject button on the front to power the system on.

If you already did that and still get no picture, do you at least get sound? If yes, then your system was setup for a different video resolution. Turn the system off by holding your finger over the power button in the front for a few seconds. This will reset the systems video settings. When it powers on you will be asked to run through the video setup, you can let it auto pick the settings, which is usually fine.

3. Paladin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I know how to power it up, it responds to that without a problem. And it also seems to recognize when a game is put into it.

But there's no picture OR sound from the TV. Doesn't even go to a Startup screen or anything like that.

4. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Have you tried connecting it with a different audio/video cables directly to the TV?

5. Paladin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It came with component cables & I do have hookups for that. But still nothing.

Someone else suggested that it might be configured to use HDMI, and if that's true then I'm screwed- my TV doesn't support that.

6. neek_buster

neek_buster The One Man Army

News Credits:
    I think you can reset the system's setup by holding the power button for couple of second.

7. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Hmm. I'm just guessing here, but maybe your PS3 is set to give out an HDMI or component signal? In other words, you seem to have it hooked up with A/V cables, but the PS3 thinks it's giving out an HDMI signal.

I used to have this problem when I bought an upscaling DVD player that was pre-set to DVI. It was giving out a DVI signal, but I only had A/V cables, so I had no way to set it back.

I took my DVD player back to the store, (nicely) asked an employee if I could set up my DVD player on an in-store TV using a DVI cable that I nicely asked him to remove from a display TV. Lo and behold, I saw the signal. The employee quickly went into settings, and changed output from "DVI" and into "A/V Cables."

8. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Not screwed.

Do the above and it will reset the video settings. Just hold your finger over the front power button for a few seconds. You'll hear a loud beep and it will shut off. Run your finger over to turn it on again and you will be asked to reconfigure the video settings.

9. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

10. Paladin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I don't want HDMI or Composite; just normal AV.

I tried the reset trick and it worked for a couple of seconds. Looked something like this-

[​IMG]

I knew my TV wouldn't exactly provide hi-def imagery but I'd hoped it would be higher quality than THAT.

11. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The regular A/V cables (red, yellow, white) are "Composite" cables. "Component" cables are different (red, green, blue, white, red). It looks like the video (yellow) cable you are using may be causing problems. I would recommend trying a different set of cables and then resetting the video again.

12. Paladin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  13. Paladin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Managed to get the Component cables to work for a couple more seconds. Looked like THIS:

[​IMG]

14. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Your best bet then is to return that sucker. Looks like the video card is f-ed. Sorry man.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  15. Paladin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    There's nothing that can be done?! THat blows.

16. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Looking around, I've seen problems like this happening to people with the 20 GB model. Apparently, there was a firmware update that fixed the issue. Looks like your PS3 might be using the original or close to it, firmware. Hook it up to an internet connection, or you can due it via usb, memory card or CD, PlayStation.com

Hope that helps.

17. Paladin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    OK, I just tried it once again out of sheer morbid curiosity and it started up flawlessly. Even managed to play one of my PS2 games, confirming its backward-compatibility still works.

But then after I quit that game and was about to try the game I got with it, it went right back to Static-ville.

18. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I had that problem with my original 60gb. Mine wasn't as severe but it was rather annoying and some games had very glitched graphics. Had to exchange it out.

19. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    The best I can tell, you're screwed (as you put it earlier). I'd return it, if at all possible.

My original 20GB started doing that a few months ago and I ripped it apart (since it was out of warranty anyway and I'm NOT paying another $150+ on it). I believe it's a problem similar to the Xbox 360 (a CPU/GPU type of issue--solder breaking loose from the motherboard). I fixed my broken 360 with Arctic Silver 5 (thermal compound) and some washers and screws from Lowe's a year ago. Since then, the problem returned and I gave in and purchased an Elite. Did the same thing with the PS3. I had it running for a while (Arctic Silver 5 was applied after removing the PS3 fan and cleaning the old compound), but it kept doing exactly what your pictures are showing.

I finally found that applying pressure to the top of the console while turning it on, it actually loaded up without a problem (keeping the pressure applied--with your had and arm pushing down on the top of the casing a bit). As soon as you remove your pressure on it, it scrambles again. So there's some sort of connection issue and my bet is it's one of the chips not getting a good connection--so the applied pressure seems to allow it to connect temporarily. I tried every dumb trick I could think of to get it running--even going so far as to try adding pennies wrapped in electrical tape to help apply pressure inside of the casing and onto the fan and motherboard. Shockingly, it worked for a bit--maybe an hour or so, then failed again. This time with NOTHING on the screen. Since then, I've had it show something on-screen maybe twice, other than that, it's all black.

After this nightmare, I was leary of purchasing another USED PS3, but I did anyway. I purchased a used "broken" 20GB PS3 on eBay in hopes of swapping parts to fix mine (I still wanted BC and I couldn't beat the deal on it). I get it and it was labeled as "works great, but can't read discs". So I already knew what I was getting into. I got it, turned it on to a black screen. Did the system reset and it loaded perfectly. I tried a CD, DVD, PS3 game, and Blu-ray disc with no luck. It was as advertised. So I ripped it apart and tried swapping parts to my other 20GB console--no dice. Still screwed. That told me it was definitely a motherboard/chip issue. So I went a step further and took apart my old 20GB Blu-ray laser and put it into my "new" broken PS3 20GB console. Needless to say, I paid much less than the $150+ they wanted and I fixed a 20GB PS3 console. I'm not saying this is your only option, but if you search "broken" PS3 consoles on eBay and feel like DIY'ing that sucker, you could still come out good in the long run. If not, people regularly purchase PS3's that are broken on there, so if you want to go that route, just explain the problems and tell them "as-is" if you want to sell it.

I hope things work out for you, bro. I know the headache this causes firsthand. Good luck with it--let us know if you return it or try to get another broken console to fix up........if you do that, check for ones that work but won't read discs and do what I did, then sell the old junker to someone who might be able to fix it.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Also see if you can get it to run right one more time and upgrade to the latest FW, see if that helps. If not, then definitely return it.