ps3 'red screen'

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by microclone, Mar 27, 2009.

1. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    oddly i found my new ps3 80gb to have the red screen (of death) yesterday, i have doen nothing with it except play SF4, no online connection, no downloads.

anyway I explained to the store what happened and i got an exchange, simple enough.

after going out online i see that this is a seemingly rare occurence but there anyhow.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Everyone goes red at one point.

3. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:
    Now I know the RRoD for the 360 (thankfully havn't had it). Is this Red screen the same for the PS3? Or is a glitch that just happens, turn the Ps3 off and back on and voila?

4. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

I guess this is the part where all us 360 owners can start cracking stupid jokes about the PS3? You know, what's good for the goose...?

5. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Doubtful. I read one independent study where the number of RRoD was 16%, and that was only a six-month study.

6. microclone

News Credits:
    the red screen, it came up at opening, it then loaded the game disc but said there was no data saved (which their was prior), it indicated that i couldnt save any data (from the SF4 prompts). without the game in the red screen came up and simply switched between two or more screens with the same message in different languages.

i went online and found that people who had had the same (and there seems to be very few) had to ship the unit back to sony and in all cases i read about they received a new PS3.
    either way i did a simple exchange at the store i said the unit had malfunctioned and they did a swap.

7. microclone

News Credits:
    i was talking about the red screen on the ps3, not the RROD on 360.

8. microclone

News Credits:

i dont know how final the red screen is but i turned the machine off at the back but still the same thing happened.

this must be a VERY rare occurence, if you search for ps3 red screen you find a couple of youtube videos (relating to it happening with some audio switching) and a mere handful of people shipping units back.

considering the millions of units shipped if this was even 1% of machines it would be widespread in the media.

I guess i just got unlucky.

9. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

He was referring to my comment. Whenever someone has ever brought up the 360's RROD, inevitably the PS3 fanboys show up and start cracking their usual dumb jokes about the 360.

I was just jokingly referring to the other shoe dropping with this red screen thing.