PS3 Red Screen, who backs up their data?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Primal, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Primal

Primal Veteran

News Credits:
    Went to turn on my PS3 slim today and I got the lovely Red Screen. I entered safe mode and did a settings restore and a firmware update (even though I haven't changed any settings and I updated to 3.15 when it came out in December) and nothing, still get the red screen on bootup (I didn't do the other options cause it would delete all my game data). The system is only 4 months old. I don't do much gaming on it. Mostly just use it to watch avis

I called Sony and my system needs to be serviced :(  I was on the last memory sequence for Assassin's Creed 2. I hope I don't lose my game data, I haven't been on the PSN since I started playing so my Trophy Data isn't synced either. Boooo.

Anyone do backups of their PS3 data? How often?
    Anyone else gotten the red screen on the slim? Lost game data?

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't do a "backup, per se, but I save my PS3 game saves to a USB stick from time to time and move them to my PC. The only game that I know of that doesn't allow this is Dragon Age. Youre on my friend's list, right Primal?

3. Primal

Primal Veteran

News Credits:
    Would anyone know if it's possible to take my HDD (if thats not whats causing the system to fail) and place it in a friends PS3 to perform a backup to an external drive and trophy sync?

@Prowl -- How do you just copy game save data? Is there an option just for that? As for friends list... No. I haven't played any games online yet :p 

4. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

Been doing a little research on this and I have some bad news.

1) Each hard drive is specially coded for that machine so you can't put the HDD into your friend's machine...it will ask you to reformat.

2) If you put in a new HDD into your PS3 and reformat it and that fixes the PS3, YOUR PS3 will not recognize your OLD HDD. You believe that? apparently it writes a new code onto the new HDD and the PS3 treats your old HDD as if it came from another machine.

3) To backup old saves - you need to go to the top screen before you select to run game disk. Scroll up a few spots to a folder that says "game save data" or something along those lines. Insert a USB jump drive into a USB port, press X on the "Game Save" folder, navigate to one of those game saves, press "Triangle" on the controller, select "Copy", then select USB.

How to copy your game save data if you can't access the PS3?- Not available yet...sorry. Wonderful Dev's are still trying to do that. It's not like the 360 where you can hook up your HDD to your comp.

5. Primal

Primal Veteran

News Credits:
    Foiled! :( 

Thanks for the info Moe. Looks like I'm not gonna be finishing AC2. I'm not starting from the beginning again when I was so close... Hopefully Sony can fix it without deleting my data but I'm sure that's probably the 1st thing they'll try is reformat it (it's an option available under safe mode).

6. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    I backup to an USB harddisk weekly, and copy saves to a USB flash drive daily usually. Some people may view this as overkill, but I don't want to lose 2 years worth of savegames.

7. MoeSizzlac

A good idea, but how sad is it that you have bought a super computer for around 3 - 400 bucks (sometimes even more) and you have to backup weekly because they can't get their software straight. It's not like you can download fishy software and it turns out to be a virus...it's all their stuff. I had to reformat a few days ago because of a problem they had when updating the PS3. The PS3 would not read blue ray games anymore. Where is my guarantee that this system I paid a lot of money for won't crash?

The least you should get is the ability to pull your saves off the HDD by connecting it to your computer. But I guess this is the place where piraters and hackers would have their way with the system.

8. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You can't take the HDD from a 360 and connect it to a computer.

9. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

I believe he means with the use of the transfer cable that you can ask Microsoft to send you.

10. MoeSizzlac

I've been able to hook up the 360 HDD to an external enclosure and use a program called xplorer360 to take my saves off. Did it a few weeks ago and I was able to save my RE5 game saves.

Actually, I just took the HDD out of the 360 enclosure and plugged it into my own SATA external enclosure that hooks up via USB cable...but your idea sounds a whole lot easier...at least I wouldn't have to take screws out everytime I need to access it.

11. Primal

Primal Veteran

News Credits:
    I think Sony should have the option to backup game saves to an external drive while in safe mode. You can reset settings, rebuild the database, fix the file system, reformat the system and update the firmware from usb in there... why not save? If it's possible (ie: HDD not corrupt) it would be nice to have that there in a future update.

My experience with their customer support... so so. In future I won't be expecting them to send me any emails even if they say they will and to call back in 24 hours if I haven't received it. I had them send 3 times, trying 2 different email addresses and nothing ever arrived (and I checked my junk).

They also gave me packaging foam for the original PS3 and not the slim, so it didn't fit :p  After yet another call to Sony (#4 by now) it was either fill up the space left over with newspaper or wait another 5 days for a new packaging box. I went with newspaper option.

Anyway, finally got my system back today after sending it out Friday morning. They just gave me a new system (probably factory certified). I'll have to start getting into the habit of doing backups. No biggie. I have an external connected all the time to the PS3 anyway.

What the problem was? Don't know. The exhcange summary only says:

Complaint Code 1: CPU
    Code Description: Update Failure, Cannot categorized into A-Z

Sidenote: What happened to Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 in the PSN Store? I don't seem to be able to find it...

12. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i got the red screen about a month after getting my ps3 last march (to play SF4) i simply took it back to target and said it was malfunctioning and they exchanged it for another (irrespective of whatever they were supposed to do) no questions asked. th eonly thing they did do was check that there was actually a PS3 in teh box as some were returing the box with a brick in or other heavy object!

what amazed me was the sheer insanity of the red screen 'myth' at that point, i went online expecting to find 1000's of users with similar problems only to find about 3 accounts of it at all and a whole slew of accusations of fake red screens being fabricated by 360 fanboys out there to discredit soony!!! bizarre to say the least. Anyway my new one has been fine since. between bricks and conspiracy theories theres a lot of saddo players out there.