PS3 question and suggestions?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Recall, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    The Playstation 3 seems to be finally coming into its own and was wondering is there much need in owning one if I already have a 360? There are some exclusive titles that really grab my attention though and the whole blu-ray player thing seems more appealing than ever, and i'm thinking of getting one.

I've read up on it and there seems to be quite a few different models with certain features, hard drive size and what not, is there a specific model condsidered the one worth getting?.

Any specific peripherals & exclusive games that are considered must have also?

Thanks.

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

depends on what you want...

if you want BC, look for the 20gb, 60gb, or the first 80gb version...though those will most likely come with the Sixaxis controller instead of the Dual Shock 3 controller.

if you want the card reader, look for the 60gb or the first 80gb version.

if you want 4x USB ports, look for the 20gb, 60gb, or the first 80gb version.

the only one still in production is the second 80gb version and the limited edition 160gb (which comes with Uncharted or RE5)...but the best one would be the MGS4 80gb LE one cause it's the first 80gb version, it comes with MGS4, and also comes with the Dual Shock 3 controller.

As for exclusive...to me there aint that much, only one i can think of is MGS4.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  3. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    If you want total backwards compatibility, get the old 60gb version. I have owned one for about 2 years and I can't recommend it enough.

4. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Omega about summed it up I would only get the 60 if you have a lot of PS2 games. I think PS1 games work on all systems mainly for PSP play but I do think they work.
    Exclusives ummm I would say pick up
    Killzone 2 *****
    Uncharted ******
    Ratchet & Clank ****
    GT 5 Pro. (Only if you are into cars)****
    Little Big Planet *****
    Metal Gear Solid 4 *****

The rest of the games I own are on both systems and these are the only exclusives I own that I would recommend.

5. OmegaScourge

yeah, BC was used two different ways...

BC Hardware Emulation: 20gb & the first 60gb version
    BC Software Emulation: second 60gb version & first 80gb version

6. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

For exclusives Uncharted is a blast and its sequel is do our this winter. Same goes for Ratchet and Clank. Little Big Planet is fun and of course MSG4 if your a fan of the series. The upcoming game Infamous is also a PS3 only title and looks to be pretty sweet.

I own both systems and tend to pick up the exclusives I like and then take other games based on which got the better systems version got the best reviews or ends up with better DLC.

The new Batman game for instance apparently has a playable Joker on the PS3 side.

I'd definately look for one of the early 80gb though. 20s and 60s are almost impossible to find now, and the newer models dropped out all the backwards compatibility. I don't use mine for PS2 games as much now, but its still nice to have.

7. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

there are also some killer games on the psn store that no one seems to talk about,

wipeout
    flower
    stardust
    everyday shooter
    pixeljunk monsters
    pain
    rachet and clank
    tekken 5 and the list goes on a bit.

most of these games are around £10 i think.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hell, I still play Wipeout. Played it last night. Lookie Lookie, my Sig, and yes Flower is badass!! And Fat Princess will be a royal blast.

9. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    The 360 is an excellent gaming system.

The PS3 is an excellent everything system.

I honestly turn it on as often as I turn on the tv. It's either running games, music, or background downloading stuff when we're actually watching TV. It makes the whole High Def experience worth bothering with.

While I highly recommend the 60 Gig system. Truth is that it is far too much computer/system compared with what most people need. You could get one of the newer shelf models and most likely be very happy.

10. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Ok i've had a scan about and no luck on any older models but i'm not overly fussed with backwards compatability. I'm seeing the latest 80gb version with Little Big Planet & Fifa '09 for £310 ($455), which to be honest is way more than I was expecting.

I have a decent HD TV which my Xbox is plugged up to, does the PS3 come with HD cables/HDMI cables or will I have to buy that also?

I'm tempted but that £300+ price mark is certainly hefty, for some reason I was under the impression it was lower than that.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I know it's short, but when I get a PS3 I am so getting Heavenly Sword.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, likewise. When I have my TV on, my PS3 is turned on. I use it a lot for streaming episode of my shows from my laptop, or just Hulu them from there, I listened to my walkman music on it, and sometimes, when I'm lazy I'll browse the internet with it. That's outside of playing my new love Valkryria Chronicles. That and I harsass Twin-twist about what games he's playing. And tonight, it's Star Trek TOS Bluray with Pizza and Beer.

First time I shamelessly had to admit that a digital video game character was actually hot.

13. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Without taking gaming into consideration, the PS3 is currently the best Blu-ray player out there. This for me was an important factor when I bought mine.

I was fortunate enough to snag an BC 80Gb model and quite frankly, I rarely play PS2 games. Its a nice feature to have, but thruth be told, you don't want to play old-gen games when you've got a powerhouse that can display games in crisp 1080 resolution.

While audio/video streaming works well, you've got to make sure that codecs are up to date on your PC.

IMO, the PS3 is the quintessential living room media hub.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's not really the best BR player out there anymore, but it's definitely a good one, and far from being a generic one.

I still play a LOT of PS2 games, so I would be lost without my BC.

15. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lately I use mine for family parties like Dad's 50th showing pictures of him when he was younger using the album feature and let it run with some 70's & 80's music in the background. My wife put video's together with her video creator and put it in a format and I also play those on the PS3. Make it easier so everyone is not huddled around the small PC screen trying to see the video.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The other day, I was bored so I pressed X, X, O, Square and Up, and I turned mine into a dimensional rift machine. I made my way through the rip in space the PS3 had created and found myself in a land of giant mushrooms and purple skies. It was like, Whoa! I saw all of my friends and family there, even some of you guys. The crazy thing was that you all looked like Smurfs, but Purple instead of blue. One of them explained that Blu was soley for Bluray and that it might confuse me if they were all blue, not to mention the Rift generator would be sued for using the Smurfs without Peyo's permission. After partying for over 67 hours with my purple friends under the maroon stralight night, I crossed back through the rift and started playing Valkyria Chronicles. So yeah, at the end of the day, the PS3 has plenty of uses.

17. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    If you put cheese slices in the disc slot, your TV will bleed pizza.

18. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    On my 60gb PS3, I have played obscure PS1 games dating back to 1995 and they work great.

I have 150+ PS1 and PS2 games so the old 60gb was a no-brainer for me. Its nice NOT to have to pull out the old systems to play those games and use the newer controller on them.

Like others have said, I use my PS3 as my central entertainment unit as it does just about everything except your freaking laundry.

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Really? That sounds like a pretty good deal to me, all things considered.

20. OmegaScourge

it doesnt come with HDMI cables. You gotta buy it yourself. It comes with the basic composite cables

$455 for the system and two games...that's actually a good price...

standard PS3 is $400, games are $60 each...you save $65...LBP is a great game, havent tried Fifa yet.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009