PS3 problem?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by yodafett, Mar 11, 2012.

1. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I have a 1st gen PS3 (40 GB, wide body model). Lately, it's been totally locking up. No error messages, just complete system freezes. Initially, I thought it was just my game freezing (Fallout: New Vegas, and face it, while Bethesda rocks, their games are... buggy). But even the OS was totally locked. No response from the PS button on the controller, even the power button on the unit itself. Had to pull the plug. Tried playing a downloaded game. Same result. Then was just navigating around in the console. Again. Only lights on the front were the leftmost green light where the USB ports are, and the far right green & blue power/activity light.

Has anyone see similar problems. I'm currently looking on other gaming sites, but I know there are a LOT of gamers with experience here, so I thought it may actually save time. :) 

EDIT: It is up to date on software updates, system is well ventilated, and nothing new installed for... several months. I've had it for... 4 years?

2. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    My friend had a similar issue, plus her optical drive was failing as well (wouldn't always know if there was a game in the drive or not). She just ended up backing up all her info onto a flash drive, traded in her old unit and bought a new one.

3. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    That's what I'm afraid of. We're in the middle of paying off some debt, and I'm on medical leave for surgery, so income is a bit thin right now. If it is dead, I'm losing most of my games, at least until some time next year... :-\

I've tried clearing out the vents on the back, and no effect with that, either. And I know it's WELL outside of any timeframe Sony would help with.