PS3 Price Drop (in Japan).

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by RiceCrackaSTI, Sep 22, 2006.

1. RiceCrackaSTI

RiceCrackaSTI Well-Known Member

2. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Thats for Japan, nothing announced for US.

3. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    If that price carries over to the U.S., that will be a MUCH more acceptable (although still on the expensive end of acceptable) price for a console system.

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Won't make much difference IMO, I read about this on the BBC news page, and the way its worded is the new price will compete with XBOX360's upper end price...

Right. Like anyone believes the XBOX brand will compete in Japan. This price drop seems (IMO) to be a knee jerk reaction to the percieved interest and potential uptake to the Wii... Sony are worried, and a lot of their future projects depend on the success of the PS3.

5. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    You know, at this point, there's no real question of success, just the question of how far Sony is going to lag behind Wii and the 360.

6. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Unless there's a price cut in America too, this is just going to make people even more annoyed.

7. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

That's on the cheaper model... which wasn't expected to be all THAT much more than that anyways.

So basically... their cheaper model is trying to compete with the more expensive Xbox 360 model.

That's smart. < /sarcasm >

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I've been as critical of Sony the last few months as anybody, but let's give credit where credit is due here. Sony made some very wise announcements yesterday in announcing a lower price and the inclusion of HDMI in the cheaper model. CripNite, their previously announced price for the lower end PS3 was a full $100 US higher than that, representing a 20% price drop. That's VERY significant. The cheaper PS3 compares quite favorably to the expensive Xbox 360 at the same price considering you're getting a Blu Ray Player now w/ HDMI.

And while this hasn't been announced for the US yet, it seems incredibly unlikely that they'd cut the price before launch in Japan and not the US. The US is more important than Japan for them. Here the Wii is still something of a question mark, whereas over there it's almost a foregone conclusion it's going to kick ass and take names. They NEED to beat Nintendo in the US, and I think cutting the price is a realization of that. I expect a confirmation out of SCEA any day now.

9. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

What's the new price? I can't read gaming sites at work. :( 

10. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Here you go:

11. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Roughly $415 US (down from $515). I want to say it was 49800 yen, but that might be off.

12. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    and remember, that's the Japanese price. In the US the prices are highly rumored to be $399 and $599 for the two configs.

13. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Do you think the price of the PS2 will go down this holiday season?

14. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Everyone is writing off Sony at this point.

Why?

Didn't everyone write off the X-Box 360 for being $400 for the upper end system? Looks to me like at the moment they're doing JUST fine. You'd be surprised what people will pay for shit, and the PS3 is something a *LOT* of people want. I wouldn't be surprised if people pay the $600 price tag. I know that if I can afford it and they have 'em, I will.

15. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I agree. It's all speculation at this point. The PS3 could dominate, while the Wii could fail completely. I really won't be shocked to see that happen. The internet community doesn't always indicate what the general public will do.

edit: Also considering that it was just announced that the PS3 will have Genesis, TG16 and PC Engine games, and that Game Informer is claiming that the PS3 controller has most of the functionality of the wii remote, the general public may not know or care that Sony took Nintendo's ideas. It will be "The PS3 has everything the Wii has, and more!"

That being said, I hope the Wii wins this round.

16. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

17. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Is the cheaper model still not able to use memory cards (meaning if the HD dies, you're screwed)?

18. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

This combined with the news for Gran Turismo is making me VERY wary around Sony. It's almost like they're trying to tick off the US gamers at this point.

19. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

They dropped the price because the PS3 isn't being too welcomed in Japan, so they tried to make it more appealing to the masses and gave them a price drop. They said they won't do it here, because the demand is too great. They've also announced they're short-shipping the PS3 in North America and Europe.

They're trying to bleed as much cash as they can from non-Japanese yuppies. To those of you buying the PS3 at launch, enjoy your $70-$80 launch games that will be $10 a year later. That's something the Xbox360 proved.

20. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

The price drop on launch games seems to be pretty common these days. Looking back on the 360 launch,I'm glad I only picked up Need for Speed because I beat most of the rest,and the ones I havent I can pick up for $20 now.

The drop in Japan will be good for them there as it will bring the lower end PS3 closer to the Wii,which is the competitor for them there. Would've been nice to have a drop on this side of the ocean,but atleast were getting more PS3's then they are in Japan.

Even though it would be sad to see,but the Wii might go the way of the Gamecube. Some people will still write it off as a kiddie system and just go for the xbox/ps3 like the last time around. I personally hope the Wii explodes onto the scene and puts Nintendo back in first spot for home console sales.