PS3 pre-owned games banned!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Superman_Alpha, May 24, 2006.

1. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060524153157765035&sectionId=1006

[PS3] Sony makes moves to stamp out lucrative second-hand market
    Words: Matt Cundy

Wednesday 24 May 2006
    High street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

We assume that the thinking behind this move will ultimately be to stop PS3 games being resold several times - which currently snatches potential sales away from Sony - and to counter the impression in consumers' minds that games are only really worth their pre-owned price and are not worth buying new.

When we contacted Sony, it issued us with the following statement: "We have made all of the official announcements at E3 and cannot make any further comments at this time. We will be announcing more news running up to PlayStation 3's launch."

2. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Craptastic.

3. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

I never buy used games so it wont effect me and I know sony wants to recoup thier losses but that may have just killed it for them this generation. Sony will need a super duper ad campaign and mind numbingly incredible games to win back favor of gamers hell maybe even product placement in the new spider-man movie cause to some this move will come off as some fucked up repugnant shit.

4. TOM

TOM From one hood to Yours

Ebay:
    Well I see the PS3 losing interest more & more. I soooo don't want to convert to xbox but it's looking that way. :( 

5. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    Nice! Wii 4 me!

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Anyone remember Sony promising not to make any moves against the resale market just a few months ago?

Yeah, so much for that, I guess.

7. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

That hole keeps getting deeper.

8. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    What assholes.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    This is horrible. what happens to late-adopters who want to grab games that came out earlier in the system's life? no way a game will ever have even a year of new shelf-life.

10. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

Every single piece of information I've received regarding Sony in this next-gen war, every single one, indicates that they're trying to commit suicide.

11. flamepanther

Dear Nintendo and Microsoft,

Please destroy us.

Much love,
    Sony

Sony has already shown us repeatedly that they absolutely don't care about the consumer.

12. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

There really isn't anything you can do or say except sit back and laugh at them.

13. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

that means Blockbuster and stuff can't rent it out too then...there goes the try before you buy method.

and for all the people that want to sell their old games, too bad, your stuck with it.

makes me hate the PS3 and blu-ray more and more.

14. flamepanther

If they're going to be "selling" these on a "you don't own it" basis, they may start charging rental stores a yearly or monthly fee to keep the games on shelves to be rented out.

15. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

if that's the case, you know BB and others will just make the game rental charges more to make up that fee.

$30 to rent a PS3 game...."don't blame us, we gotta pay the Sony Fee."

16. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    way to go sony...that's brilliant. :rolleyes2 

17. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I'm almost not suprised. Anyone else remember the patent that showed up a while back that suggested Sony had at least developed a system to lock games to the console it is used on first? That could be part of it. If the rumor is true, it will be a dumb move on Sony's part and will continue to be a factor in making gamers leary of purchasing the system.

18. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Oh, great. So, if a title doesn't make it out in the UK, odds are I won't be allowed to buy it legally, since the license probably will prohibit use outside the US as well.

"We'll do away with region coding, so that we can just fix the license to stop them doing it anyway!"

I get the impression I might finally be forced to outgrow my gaming days at this rate. Many titles I love are on Playstation, but if they don't go multiformat I think I might well just quit while I'm ahead. I love my games, but I don't love them that much.

19. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

Damn it... I REALLY REALLY REALLY want MGS4, but every time I hear news about the PS3 console it makes me wanna go Hulk on Sony.

20. flamepanther

Of course Sony promised they wouldn't use that patent (why register a patent you won't use?) and plenty of people here said that nothing like this could possibly happen.