PS3 owners, answer me this....

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by KidDynamite, Jan 19, 2008.

1. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Okay, PS3 owners.

Assuming I am not interested in Motorstorm, and assuming I'm not interested in backwards compatibility of PS2 games, is there any good reason I need to pay the extra $100 for the 80GB? Because if there's not, I'm kinda eyeing the 40GB version and using the extra $100 to upgrade the hard drive to a 250GB drive.

I am curious how PSP remote play works though. Is it only PS1 games, or PS2 also? If I buy the 40GB version, will the PS1 stuff still work?

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't quote me, though it shouldn't be difficult to find out, but the backwards compatibility for PS3 and Remote play on the 40 gig only applies to PS2. I believe that you can still play those PS1 games from the store, but I'd get a second opinion on that too. I have a huge library of PS2 games that I still play, but if you don't care about playing older games on it, go for the 40 gig model. I don't give another year before PS2's go from $129 to 100 bucks anyway, if you ever feel the need.

I will say this. I find it very annoying running outta room on my 360, and I have to shuffle demos and Chappel videos around whenever I am downloading something new. So 20 gigs and even 40 might get old soon. But you said you were going to get a better Harddrive so that won't even be an issue to you.

3. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

dont know if you care about the memory slots, and the 2x extra USB ports...but those are other stuff that the 40gb dont have.

other than that, if you are upgrading the HDD yourself, then the 40gbs good enough.

i got the 80gb myself due to the bigger HDD space and PS2 backward compatability...and the free game, even though it aint a great one.

4. dark_mullet

dark_mullet Banned

You can always buy a USB hub. Your plan is fine. Do that.

5. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Yeah, hard drive isn't an issue. If I get the 40GB model, I will absolutely upgrade the hard drive, probably on day 1. I'll probably swap it in before I even boot the thing up for the first time. Don't need the memory card slots. The only thing that really gives me pause is the USB ports. What are they good for? Am I crippling myself by only having two? I plan on getting Rock Band, how many ports does that take?

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    It's only PS1 games, although PS2 remote play could always end up being added later. 40GB PS3s can play PS1 games just fine.

7. dark_mullet

dark_mullet Banned

Well unlike the 360, the PS3 can use pretty much anything that plugs in via USB ports. Flash drives, a regular USB keyboard just plugs in and is used normally (keyboard is a must if you plan on typing more than your user name ever). Any USB headset. USB MP3 player plugs in for music/charging/ Even an external hard drive (not for use with game saves/installation though).

So USB ports on the PS3 can get used up quickly. But as I said, if you need more than two, a USB hub also works just fine with the PS3.

8. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    http://www.nyko.com/nyko/products/?i=90

Even though I have 4 usb ports on my ps3, it's nice to not have a bundle of wires sticking out all over the place to charge controllers, since that ones plugs into the wall and not the ps3.

9. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

Nice, but IMO that money for me could be put towards a game. I don't think it even takes 1/2 hour for the six axis or dual Shock 3 (bought a Japanese one) to charge. and the wires are not long in the first place, so they don't bug me.

10. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

With regards to rock band, is there a way to get the sixaxis to register as controller #1 when the Rock Band drums and guitar are plugged into the USB ports of the PS3? I'm getting tired of having to do it manually everytime I try to play a game or demo.

11. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

The 360 can do all of that too.

As for the original question. PS2 games don't work on Remote Play. The 40 gig can't even play PS2 games at all but might be able to if Sony developes a full software emulation package in the future. Psone games work fine on the 40 gig.

PSone games work well with remote play, your missing two buttons but thats usually not a problem. There is a slight delay but nothing to game breaking in house. Over a random wifi can vary but isn't much of an issue. PSone games can be played from the disc drive or anything stored on the PS3 hard drive from the ps store through remote play. Video also works a lot better with the recent update.

For what you're looking for the 40 gig seems the way to go as some of the missing features can be added yourself (memory card reader/usb ports)

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the lag can be game-breaking for remote play. racing games are unplayable, as is anything that requires precision, like turning in 3D games such as Megaman Legends and Metal Gear Solid, or firing your weapons in games. don't even bother trying fighting games.

The only games I reccomend remote play with is non-action RPGs. being menu-based, the lag can't really effect them much at all. everything else I've tried is absolutely unplayable.

13. dark_mullet

dark_mullet Banned

Okay then sorry, apparently my friend is just a moron.

...which is true. I made the mistake of listening to him about his 360.

14. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I've been playing FFVIII with remote play, and it's been pretty damn fun :) 

The streaming of media over remote play is flawless though. No lag on my end.