Ps3 or xbox 360?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gaastra, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok guys, i'm planning to get one of these at tax time but which one should i get? I can only get one. Ps3 is really high but 360 has the red rings of death so what should i get?

2. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I own both. I usually don't buy games for one more than the other, except when it's a system exclusive. Lately, I just seem to be playing my PS3 a LOT more. Don't really know why. I have also suffered 1 (knocks on wood) bout of the RROD, but MS customer service was great. Was without my system less than 2 weeks. Just weigh out you choices. Pick the pros and cons from each. If I could only keep one, I'd probably go PS3. Just my opinion.

3. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I'd go with PS3. Unless there's a TON more Xbox 360-only games that you want compared to PS3-only games-- and there probably isn't since you're posting this thread-- go with a PS3. There's been way too many "red rings of death" stories on the Xbox 360 for my liking-- a cheaper console doesn't mean squat if it crashes on you after the warranty's over.

4. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

It depends what you're into. I'm really into my 360 and only had the RRoD happen once. Like previously stated customer services was great and I got my 360 back in less than two weeks. A lot of games are for both PS3 and 360 so I would just say look at the games you really want and then go with that system. Some of the main 360 only games are Halo, and Fable while PS3 has Resistance, Little Big Planet. So I would just say go with what ever games you think you would like more and play more.

5. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've had both systems and they've both suffered system failures. So honestly I can't give either one my full recommendation.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The PS3 is no longer the lowest priced Blu-ray player on the market so I recommend the 360.

The RROD probably will happen, but Microsoft will fix it.

7. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Unless you want to play Little Big Planet, Resistance, MGS4, and the other PS3 exclusives I'd say go for a 360. I mean, you can pick up an Arcade for $200 then snag a HDD, so you can save some cash for more games.

8. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

PS3 - BEST\FIRST TRUE HOME ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM EVER BUILT ... SO FAR.

Kicks the crap out of the 360 in every way.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Games, man, it's all about the games. And by that, I mean the kind of games you like, and since they both share almost all of the third party games, it's all about the first party ones.

In a full-on attempt to dissagree with my good friend, hehehe. The PS3 is no longer the lowest-priced BR on the market, but if you were choosing to buy a BR player that had a pretty damn good Web Browser, DVD upscaling, DiVX playback straight from a server set up with your computer (ie. playback downloaded media without having to copy it to your system), and a top grade gaming system with a hellovalot more good first party games than they did last year, then it is still the lowest-priced BR player.

Furthermore, MS fixing your almost certain to break system is like a car salesman saying, "This car will break down on you within a year or two, without a doubt... we designed it this way... and it might even happen while you're about to take your vacation, but we'll fix it, so no worries, we're still the best."
    Since I have my original Toyota, and this (sure to break) car, I will always take my Toyota on long trips, and drive around the city in this sure-to-break car. Hence, I buy all my Third Party games on the PS3 and obviously my exclusives on the 360, with the one exception being the chance to play with people here (should more of them buy the 360 version)

All that said, I still say that if Gears of War, Mass Effect (which is a system seller in my book), Halo 3 and Fable are your interest, then 360 is your box.

10. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I'll bring up some sound advice another poster came up with a while ago.

Make a list of every released game you want on both systems.
    Then, remove every game on that list that is available on both.
    You'll be left with a list of exclusive titles for each.
    Go with the one that has more games you want.

11. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Actually, I wouldn't worry as much about the RRoD anymore if you can get your hands on one of the new revision "Jasper" consoles (link).

In the end, it really does come down to what exclusives you want to play. I would only base my decision on that.

12. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, good advice.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    best advice actually. History has proven time and time again that Graphics and power don't matter if the games suck (the original Xbox was Way stronger than the PS2). Both systems have great games, but the games differ enough in content that you have a choice based on that content.

14. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the help guys. I think i'll get the xbox. Ps3 is just to high. It will have to be the xbox arcade version for $200. I wish i could get the hard drive version but maybe i'll get the hard drive later. Thanks for your help everyone.

15. mag_jr.

mag_jr. <B><font color=red>TFW2005 Article Guy</font></B> Veteran

You can get a 20 GB hard drive pretty cheaply now, for about $20 to $40. On the gaming board I now hang out at, people have been scoring 120 GB drives for $80-ish on ebay.

If you get the Arcade, you can get all the functionality of the Elite for about 2/3rds to 3/4ths the price by getting your hard drive that way.

I wanted a PS3, but I couldn't rationalize the cost, even with the 360's shoddy build quality. Sold some old toys, Wii stuff, and other crap, won a gift card, and got myself a Pro for $21 in cash. Even if it blows up I won't feel too bad about it. As long as it doesn't set me on fire in the process.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What's has happened, hehehe

17. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I bought myself a ps3 a few eeks ago. looks like a big brother to my Wii. a nice mix of black and white.

18. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Can anyone post a list of all the games that are exclusive to the Playstation 3? Just curious.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Funny you should ask. The going argument is that the 360 has more exclusives than the PS3, but IGN just did a head to head based on not only number of exclusives but their overall rating.

IGN: 2008: Console Showdown - PS3 vs. Wii vs. 360

Warhahk
    Resistance 1 and 2
    Folklore
    GranTurimo
    Killzone
    Ratchet and Clank
    Little Big Planet
    Wipeout (online only)
    Siren (online only)
    Motorstorm 1 and 2
    Eye of Judgement
    Hot Shots Holf
    Heavenly Sword
    Lair
    Uncharted
    Metal Gear
    Valryrie Chronicles

I dunno if I missed any. Of course there are Online ones like Stardust, but the only reason I included Wipeout and Siren is because they are full-fledged games. Also, with the exception of Metal Gear and Valkyrie, these are Sony First Party games, not money under the table exclusives.