PS3 or 360?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Soundatron, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Okay -without pointing out individuals I want to make a few points.

I am sorry if this has turned into bickering. But I like people to make statements based on facts. You can not argue against Xbox Live's being the best in class online service. It is a fact. Both Sony and Nintendo are playing catch up in that regard. Whether you have to pay for it (4$ a month?)or not does not disqualify the features.
    Let's look at it again in a year and see if that is still the case.
    There is a similar thread where I said the 360 surprisingly seems to be the system for RPGs this generation and I was told that the 360 had no RPGs that weren't also on the PS3 -it is just not true. Again, I am just looking at the facts.

I don't think I am being a Microsoft fanbois if I make a statement like 'The 360 seems to be getting most of the exclusives", I think I am just looking at the market.

By HD movies, I meant more than trailers but actual movies or TV shows.
    Everyone says that you have to buy the HD-DVD player to watch HD movies on the 360. You don't -you can download them from the Marketplace.

You also don't have to send messages from the web, but you can.
    Of course, you can send them console to console, but its nice to send them from the web. I always bother my friend in Kentucky when I see him online and I know he is supposed to be at work. :) 

And you can talk all you want about how the PS3's first year has closely mirrored the 360's launch year. The fact remains that the PS3 is barely selling more than the Game Boy Advance. There are always PS3s on the store shelves everywhere and it is not due to Sony's better supply distribution. Ask the people that work at the stores.

Just look at the 773 posts in the Xbox Live thread on this board compared to the 24 posts for the Playstation Network IDs.

Now, if all of this seems like I am Sony bashing -I am not. If you have one, great. There are a lot of reasons to have a PS3. Just being a Blu-ray player alone is starting to look very compelling based on the way the market is heading.

Did anyone read where I recommended he gets the PS3 if he wants HD movies and wasn't concerned with the number of games?

Come on, how is that factual, or even relevant? You are talking out of parts of your body that shouldn't be capable of speech.

2. rawl316

rawl316 Well-Known Member

serious questions, never used live, but are these free? How big is a movie/show?

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    No -you have to pay in MS Points and it is a pain because 100 points does not equal one dollar.

A movie in SD can be between one GB and close to two GB, but I have never seen an SD movie that was 2 GB.

HD movies start around 3 GB (some of the stuff that is not too long in duration -like the IMAX films) but Superman Returns was over 6 GB.

It is certainly not something to get a 360 for, but is definitely a nice feature to have. I went to Blockbuster to get Pan's Labyrinth and they were all out, so I downloaded it on the 360.

Unfortuantely, Pan's Labyrinth is only in SD -lame.

4. rawl316

rawl316 Well-Known Member

wow, so an HD movie takes up a good chunk of the hard drive. appreciate the info, but i don't see how that is useful. I guess they aren't expensive though. can you redownload if you delete it?

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yes. TV shows you own forever, movies you have to pay for again.

6. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

WhaaaaaaA??? :eek: 

I know that I was renting movies off of Xbox but if I purchase a show, say.... Gunslinger Girl, an anime, the episodes I purchase I keep?

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Well -I can't find any text to back that up, but the TV shows that I have downloaded said "Does Not Expire" on the license.

I downloaded an episode of Venture Brothers that I missed because my FIOS was down and after I watched it, I deleted it. Then, when I got Venture Brothers season 2 DVD I downloaded it again to compare the video quality. It had the check marks next to everything to show I had downloaded it before, and it gave me the "Download Again" option. I had 60 MS Points before and after the second download.

So, there is probably a link to the exact policy somewhere, but I can't find it now.
    I am at work, and I have to occasionally do some work. :) 

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    No, its quite true. every last 360 that exists today is defective. they're all built the same, they all have the same potential to die on the user. one of my friends got an elite a week ago and it was bricked trying to play the blue dragon demo. people have turned on their repaired 360's fresh from microsoft to get the red ring. this has happened to some people several times. there are major hardware problems that exist in every Xbox 360. the only thing that determines if it dies or not is sheer luck.

BUT with microsoft's new warranty, it doesnt matter. they will repair/replace the system for FREE until it stops screwing up. which means that yes, when they introduce the new model with the 65nm processor, that you'll end up with one.

Compare that to trying to get sony to repair their hardware? I got a PSPa few years back, it had developed dust in the screen (no idea how), so I called them up and even though it was still under warranty, I no longer had the BOX, so they told me it would cost me $170 dollars to get it fixed. Or how about when sony told people with dead pixels that they wouldnt fix/replace their systems that were under warranty unless they had a certain amount of dead pixels?

fuck, at least microsoft is TRYING.

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I should leave well enough alone, but I found this:
    http://forums.xbox.com/8324575/ShowPost.aspx

So, I guess it depends if Gunslinger Girls is qualified as a purchase or rental.

Also, if you pay to download something in HD then you can download the SD version for free! Wow free! That's -well that's completely useless. :lolol 

10. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm sorry, that's just not true, and you can't make that statement and claim it to be fact.

A. They are not built the same. There are at least three different brands DVD drives found in the 360. Just one example.

B. Out of the two friends who have a 360, neither of them are experiencing problems. I'm certainly not denying that there are quality issues, but it's not as common as you claim it to be.

C. Again, not true, one example is that scratched discs were more commonly found in a particular drive. Toshiba I believe. No magical bad luck fairy there.

11. liquidcross

liquidcross Machine Robo

Yes you can...because Microsoft President of Entertainment & Devices Division Robbie Bach is the one who admitted it. (Right as he sold off a ton of stocks...)

It's the 360's motherboard that's the problem. It overheats, and chips pop. EVERY Xbox 360 has that motherboard, which means they're all defective. Until the motherboard is completely rebuilt (with the 65nm chips), you're rolling the dice every time you switch the console on. It just took MS a very long time to admit this, and it's costing them over $1B to "fix."

12. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *sigh* Anyone beginning to see WHY I hate these types of questions?

Rampant fanboy batlling at it's best.

13. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If the PS3's have a defect, like the PS2 or PS or PSP, then you crap out of luck because sony will not admit to mass produced products with flaws. At least MS did that. Anyways, my 360 is great, but in the long run I would say owning a PS3 is just more important if you're like me an lean more towards liking Japanese games. If you are an FPS or other more Western style game fan, I'd say the 360.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    PS3s seem to be perfect so far. even some Wiis were getting bricked when downloading the first system update, but the PS3 has been amazingly problem-free.

15. liquidcross

liquidcross Machine Robo

Weird, huh? Considering the severe issues the PS1 and PS2 had...

16. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Which is a great thing. I don't think they could survive a higher system failure given their other struggles. It seems as though they learned from the PS2 in that regard.

17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Okay, come on now.
    You lose credibility with blanket statements like that.

Just browse the message boards on video game sites and you can see that some PS3s have problems.

I know 4 people that have bought PS3s and one of them had his brick in the first week.
    All hardware launches have had some type of failure rate attached right down to the obscure Pocketstation.

18. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Actually alot of lcd computer monitors companies will not take back a monitor unless they have a certain number of dead pixels, so its not just sony.

Relax man, I was just answering the questions that Smasher posted/asked. I never said you needed headsets for ps3, its optional. The first thing you posted Smasher said you had to go to a website, I just mentioned all you need to do for ps3 is turn it on to see what your friends are doing, you don't even need to go into any detail. It says "Johhny Five - Motorstorm". Give it time and HD movies/television will probably be on the ps3 store.

Funny how 360 fans say its about gaming then mention movies and television shows :p  (throws gas on the fire)

But in all honesty, I don't care what system you have, 360, ps3, wii, (or old school stuff), any gamer is fine with me. Personally I'm a ps3 fan. I had all the old systems (ps2, xbox, gamecube) back when I worked in a video game store and I just used my ps2 the most, gamecube used when people were over drinking, and xbox was touched once and awhile. Just my personal gaming habits.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    fine. perfect in comparisson to every other home console on the market right now, and all of sony's previous hardware aside from the slimline PS2.

Oh, I know, but are you aware of nintendo's requirement for replacement if you're under warranty? one dead pixel. any problem at all. if you're under warranty, and any nintendo system you own has any kind of problem that keeps it from being perfect that you are not responsible for, they will repair it.

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Ugh!
    I never said you had to do it from the web.
    I said you could do it from the web.
    I was trying to point out how robust the system is.

You know what is going to be the best thing about the 360 or PS3 in 2008?
    Soul Caliber 4.
    GAWD that game looks awesome.